+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When children misbehave...

Very good advice from a few people. Beating to the degree of abuse is wrong but there's nothing wrong with a spanking every now again. You do have to teach them from a young age what's right and wrong and let them know that you're not going to tolerate bad behavior or disrespect. When they get older, it's harder to break. Who runs the house, you or them? Kids will embarrass you in public if you dont. Falling out in public, acting crazy. Not my children. Nothing wrong with firm discipline. Explain why they are being chastised. You have to find what works for your child. Some kids need spanking, some don't. No its not the answer to everything but it works sometimes.

As for thethe OP, there needs to be consistency. A routine. He knows he can get over on mom. She needs to be firm. Sending him off isn't the answer. Talk with him to see what the problem is. Show up at the school. Take away his things indefinitely. Explain when he acts right, he can get it back. There needs to be sterness and consistency. Hope this chic is getting every dime she can for child support. I hate dead beat dads. Nonetheless, the mom has to work harder and don't slack off. This can lead to adult behavior if not taken seriously. Nothing wrong with spoiling a kid per se either. I'm personally soft when it comes to people I love, especially kids. If they do what their supposed to do, as wakeup said, you'll get generous praise and you'll be generously rewarded. I don't believe in rewarding bad behavior.
    Last edited by Starnique; 05-11-13 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NiaPeach View Post
    Hi Everyone!

What do you all think is the best way to discipline a child when they misbehave? Do you all agree with spanking children? Why or why not? Is it considered abuse to you? Why or why not? Do you think that just by talking a child and setting positive examples for their growth and development is enough? If you do have children, what do you use a form of discipline?

One of my best friends is a single mother of a 8 year old boy. His father is a dead beat. My friend is a great mother, although she spoils him quite a bit. Now he is acting up very bad in school by being a class clown. She has taken his game away from him and tried all sorts of punishments. No TV, no tablet. No company. He will be good for a few days but then, he is right back to being class clown. She is thinking of letting him live with her parents so her father can be a father figure to him and she will keep him on weekends. She feels terrible. She blames herself. I told her that she shouldnt. She is doing her part and his father should be ashame of himself and maybe thats why he is acting out. So how do you all deal with misbehaving children?
    I think a small spank on the bottom is okay, but only one not repeated spanking, because if one spank makes no impact on their current behavior why spank them again, to see them cry, crying only means it hurts them, not that they understand what they did was wrong or that they wont do it again and then they might fear you and you don't want that either. It must be difficult to be a parent. You can talk and try to teach them why it is dangerous or wrong to do and why, but you have to be clear and show them properly so they understand, especially if very young children. If you can get through that it upsets you because you are scared they will get injured they might feel you are upset because you love them and try to do right for you, but who knows. I think even the smallest of kids understand a great deal. I do not have any children so I can't speak from any experience like others who have kids can on here. To me a class clown is a child who is seeking attention because they feel attention is being liked, maybe even being loved, it might mean they feel they don't get enough at home.

I personally think children need to be punished better than what the parents are doing. My parents spanked me and taught me manors. I learned through pain if I didn't want the spanking I knew what not to do. I work in a buffet restaurant and I see how many parents just talk to children and not actually punish them. Then there are parents that spank and those kids listen and don't act like they don't have manors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12