+ Follow This Topic

Thread: To be considered a couple?

To be considered a couple?

To be considered a couple do you actually have to ask "do you want to be my girlfriend/boyfriend?"

My date and I got closer tonight. Last week we didn't hold hands, kiss, or cuddle but this week we did all of that. And by kiss I mean he gave me a kiss on the cheek. I know he really likes me because my friend who introduced us told me that he said he really likes me a lot...

Do you have to really ask someone to be your gf/bf to be considered a couple?

The answer to this would depend on your culture and age. What do your peers say?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    The answer to this would depend on your culture and age. What do your peers say?
    more importantly, what does your date think?

by your own admission, you two have been "getting closer," so discussion of whether or not you want to date each other exclusively seems a natural step toward further progression...

Quote Originally Posted by everythingzero View Post
    more importantly, what does your date think?

by your own admission, you two have been "getting closer," so discussion of whether or not you want to date each other exclusively seems a natural step toward further progression...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the question related to whether or not a discussion is required? Thing is, not all cultures do the "exclusive talk" like Americans do. You'll find that in some other cultures, there's a degree of assumption based on how much time a couple spends together and how close they are. I've never had to have an 'exclusive' talk - I just *knew*.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the question related to whether or not a discussion is required? Thing is, not all cultures do the "exclusive talk" like Americans do. You'll find that in some other cultures, there's a degree of assumption based on how much time a couple spends together and how close they are. I've never had to have an 'exclusive' talk - I just *knew*.
    what use is it if her peers deem her to be in a relationship but her date doesn't? the perception needs to be shared. while i agree that the "exclusive talk" is not always necessary, i do think the OP may benefit from it in this case, since she does not appear to have that instinctual feeling of "just knowing" the status of her relationship with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingzero View Post
    what use is it if her peers deem her to be in a relationship but her date doesn't? the perception needs to be shared. while i agree that the "exclusive talk" is not always necessary, i do think the OP may benefit from it in this case, since she does not appear to have that instinctual feeling of "just knowing" the status of her relationship with this guy.
    fair enough

I usually waited for the guy to go, this is my girlfriend or ask for us to be exclusive. If you want to know I would say ask if he would like to date you, or just be friends and if he says date you, make mention of does this mean we would be considered BF and GF.

I'm a big proponent of the talk. My American perspective on the subject is we're not an exclusive couple until we talk about it & come to a mutual agreement.

Circumstances make a relationship status obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by glitter_bug View Post
    Circumstances make a relationship status obvious.
    They don't really though. I've dated/slept with girls for weeks and months and both of us had quite different perceptions of "what we were doing."