+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I completely overreacting?

Am I completely overreacting?

This post is going to sound so silly I can already feel it, lol. My boyfriend & I have been together for a few months now, both of us are 19. I feel like we really get each other and have a pretty healthy relationship. It's great because I've actually known him my whole life and then we entered into the romantic stage so I know his background and everything which is really helpful. Now this post is all about silly instagram.

A few weeks ago a friend told me that there was some interesting activity on my boyfriends ex's page. Now she has a boyfriend who she seems very much in love with and I actually know her boyfriend quite well, we were friends for a good part of my life. However, I don't talk to him much anymore at all. Anyways, she had posted those cute couple photos with him and my friend told me to look at the likes and my boyfriend was one of them. He ended up liking 3 of her photos with her current boyfriend. I didn't really stress much cuz I thought maybe he was supporting her, but even that's unlikely. So I ended up going back on my boyfriends instagram and noticed that she had liked alot of his photos and I could tell they were recently liked too. I then went back to hers and noticed she deleted 2 of the 3 pictures my boyfriend liked..kinda weird. I started to get nervous because although my boyfriend & his ex broke up over a year ago, I always just get nervous he'll go back to her. I know they've stayed friends since breaking up but I never knew if it was more than that at all during the times me and my boyfriend hadn't gotten together yet. I realized that I couldn't even say anything to my boyfriend about it because he'd get weirded out that I was looking at his ex's instagram and I agree, it is weird and creepy. I'll admit that. I never noticed him pulling away or anything and he's been just as loving and caring as ever before so I was confused that if he was talking to her behind my back why was he still being his usual caring self? I let it go for a few days because what the hell else was I supposed to do?

Well a few days later my boyfriend & I ended up getting into a car accident, everyone was fine but we were just a little shaken up. A few hours after it happened though we were sitting on my bed and he got a call and I could tell it was a girl. He answered it no problem and sounded a little confused but told the person what happened but didn't seem enthusiastic in the least to talk to them. He hung up the phone and I asked who it was and he said "My ex-girlfriend....how the hell did she know what happened?" He eventually figured out it was his mom who called his ex. Which I know sounds like a BS excuse but trust me, my boyfriends parents are the weirdest people you will ever meet and I would not put that past his mom. So I just kinda sat there because I was pretty uncomfortable and he noticed something was wrong and I think he knew it was the phone call because he said "It's just a phone call." and I let a little more time go by and eventually couldn't sit there any longer and said "Look, I do need to talk to you." He was really receptive and was like "Absolutely, lay it on me." So I went on by saying "I'm not trying to be a crazy girlfriend and control who you do and do not talk to but for your ex to call you, does make me feel kinda awkward and uncomfortable. I've been in that place before and I won't let that happen again." He completely agreed and even said it was awkward for him and told me "Its fine, shes nothing to worry about. I don't want anything like that to ever make you feel uncomfortable and I don't want your mind wandering to places like that." I was super happy that was the outcome of the conversation and I've let it go since then. My lovely friend (the same one who told me about my boyfriend liking his ex's pictures) went on my boyfriends instagram and found a picture of him that his ex liked too that I didn't see the first time. She liked it the same time she liked all the other photos so I don't know why I'm worrying so much.

I know I have to learn to trust him and I'm pretty sure his ex and her current boyfriend are still together so maybe this whole thing was a big pile of nothing but I really can't bring it up with my boyfriend again because I know he'll just be like "You have got to let this crap go." How do I let it go? I get nervous about things like this and I know talking with him would be the best option but I really can't about this subject again. Do I just let it be? I'm just so nervous by his mom calling her she's now been allowed back into his life. I thought she was out of the picture and ever since the talk with him I've had no more run ins with convos between my boyfriend and his ex so I guess that's good. I'm just afraid if she has problems with her current boyfriend she'll maybe look to my boyfriend to help her out. I think that's me over thinking it completely though.

Any thoughts? Be honest, sometimes that's what I need most.

This is why I hate social media, and watch very closely what I post myself. Liking someone's picture shouldn't be perceived as romantic interest. It pisses me off to hear this kind of crap, because it destroys perfectly fine relationship and marriages.

Your problem lies with your friend, not his ex. So I recommend you tell your friend to f uckin quit it and mind her own business. She is being a shit disturber, and encouraging snooping.....snooping is poor behavior. She is bat shit crazy, and I feel sorry for any guy she ever dates. If you don't stop her from doing this, she will be responsible for destroying your relationship. Think about it, shes been planting seeds of doubt through this whole thing. IMO your BF deserves to have his privacy respected.
    Last edited by smackie9; 05-05-14 at 11:27 AM.

I think you need to ignore your friend because she may think shes looking out for you when shes causing trouble i think you have nothing to worry about he seems really faithful

Actually weird turn of events...his ex girlfriend called him again last night drunk out of her mind threatening suicide and he ended up telling me he had to go home and figure this out which I understood because if someones on the other line saying "I'm going to kill myself" you're gonna help them. While I'm waiting for him to get back...her boyfriend now ex boyfriend ended up calling me telling me that they broke up because this girl cheated on him with my boyfriend. I confronted my boyfriend and he lied about it saying it didn't go that far and it was only a kiss (Who are we kidding? Are we in middle school? Come on dude) and I kept poking at him and he eventually admitted that they did indeed have sex. It was around 3 weeks ago but yeah...trying to sort through everything. He was the last person on earth that I thought would do this. Such a shame. Guess you never really know people.

Kristen the fact a) she called him with suicide threats and b) that he went to her was also a clue that all was not as it seems. You see, I would not go to an ex who was threatening suicide...instead, I would call the police and let them deal with it.

This was a manipulation ploy on her part and he's totally up for it.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.