+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partner of 3 years dumped me by text and I'm struggling to come to terms with it!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyl View Post
    He can be a bit controlling at times and I actually suspect that he may suffer from narcassistic personality disorder. But I really love him and I' struggling to come to terms with being cast aside yet again.
    Have you considered the Universe is sending you a strong message... that maybe you should consider staying dumped? There are far worse things than being dumped by an asshole. Staying with one for a couple decades, for instance.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyl View Post
    He can be a bit controlling at times and I actually suspect that he may suffer from narcassistic personality disorder. But I really love him and I' struggling to come to terms with being cast aside yet again.
    Have you considered the Universe is sending you a strong message... that maybe you should consider *staying* dumped? There are far worse things than being dumped by an asshole. Staying with one for a couple decades, for instance.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

NPD is actually quite rare; often, people are just nasty assholes because they just are.He may have BPD but even that, in males his age, is quite uncommon. If you look up the DSM, you can pretty much diagnose everyone with something. He would do well to get a therapist, but that's his business. As it stands, you're better off; what you had was a waste and when you start believing that your time is valuable, you'll stop wasting it.

It seems to follow the same cycle where everything is really good then every few months he finishes with me for no valid reason mainly out of anger
    Why do you stay with this guy? Is it really worth the drama? Because it doesn't sound like it.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I understand that it's easy to fall back into these relationships when feelings are strong, but if this has been happening over and over you should continue doing what you are doing by cutting off all contact and moving on. Make him learn his lesson and know you are the one who got away. Us laid back girls can't be treated like crap because of our awesome personalities - you need a guy who is also laid back and understanding!

Make a playlist of some inspiring happy music (music does amazing things to your confidence/mood), think positive about the next guy who will enter your life and how great he could be (oh the possibilities!), go out with your friends and have a good time. Don't look at old pictures, his social networks, etc. Life is too short to be wasting time on bad boyfriends when there are so many good ones out there waiting for you! Pamper yourself by getting pretty, etc, even if just going out for a laid back dinner. Everything feels a lot better when you know you look smashing. Join a new class of interest (yoga, cooking, whatever) and meet new people who will make you feel like you are moving on with life.

More importantly, during these times focus on you and everything you want out of life. Travel? a new job? This sort of adventurous thinking I find to help a lot in times of bad relationship stuff.

This could help
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

dumping you by text is fcked up & harsh, he was a coward, the need to text it says so.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12