+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Found in an Apartment

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Maybe, but the one we had lived for around a year on just the plant and water. That was long enough for me.

One year? Their lifespan averages about 4 - 5 years... when I was a kid we had one named 'Jasmine' (poor, poor guy...) that lived for 8 years...

Though our Kissing Gourami... 'Pinky' lived closer to ten years... despite the fact he had a tendency to leap out of the aquarium and land on the floor ever so often (we finally had to duct tape the lid shut).
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I reckon that aquariums are more fun than people give them credit for, I had plenty of good (and bad) experiences from having aquariums as a kid.

My first one went along just fine until my two younger sisters (they were probably 5 or something at the time) decided to give my fishes a shampoo bath. Needless to say, they all died and I started all over.

But after that I kept pretty simple fishies (not sure what the english name of them are) and bred them, had tons of fun chasing the fish-spawns to put them into a special "breeding" container near the surface, and remodelling the fish tank with new rocks and plants.

My dad also kept an aquarium in the living room with a couple of varied Malawi Ciclids (since we lived in those areas we brought rocks home straight from the malawi lake), had one that survived for several years with various problems of jumping out of the tank, kicking the ass of the male counterpart and accidentally eating her own spawns (What do you call them - Mouth-roosters or something?).

If I ever get spare time and some spare cash I am definitely going to get another aquarium.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    One year? Their lifespan averages about 4 - 5 years... when I was a kid we had one named 'Jasmine' (poor, poor guy...) that lived for 8 years...
    Yeah - it was only about a year... my daughter changed out the water in the fishbowl and didn't let the water temperature warm up to room temperature before putting the fish in. I think the shock killed it.

As I said, it was long enough for me. I wouldn't have ever voluntarily taken the stupid fish - my daughter won it at a carnival.

As I said, it was long enough for me. I wouldn't have ever voluntarily taken the stupid fish - my daughter won it at a carnival.

I think Bettas are the perfect 'starter pet' for children. They practically take up no room... all the 'mess' they could make is in one bowl... the fish are hardy and very forgiving of pH imbalances, high ammonia levels, starvation, moderate temperature variations, and cramp conditions.

It would teach the children about responsibility and the fish would survive the dreaded 'lost interest phase' that kids seem to go through on a regular basis. Plus, if you ever get tired of the fish... they're quite easy to give away... as they're so small and relatively undemanding as a pet.

I would recommend giving them a fish --- to learn the fundamentals of responsibility --- long before giving them a dog or cat. That's what my parents did... so by the time I 'graduated' to having a dog.. I knew all about developing a routine to help care for the animal.

My mom was a smart woman... she hated taking care of animals... though enjoyed playing with/watching them. Had all kinds of animals growing up... and even nursed a few wild ones back to health before releasing them.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

if i wanted my kids to learn how to take care of living things i would start with plants. fish are so damn stank!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It would teach the children about responsibility...
    Speaking as a mother, I always found this to be the worst reason to give a kid a pet. I think one should get pets because YOU (the parent) want to love and care for one. As you mentioned, many kids lose interest almost immediately, especially when the animal isn't interactive.

Anyway, I don't know that having pets will necessarily teach a kid to be responsible. I tend to think of that as more of an inherent personality trait, although I suppose giving a kid who is responsible by nature a pet to care, they will gain skill in caring for that pet.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Fish are a pain in the butt. We kept them as college students & it was a lot of work keeping that tank clean. Even with a decent filter.

I would recommend a pet (for an older child) like a lizard or snake. Reason being they will have to do some research about how to properly care for them. So, while there is some responsibility there, it isn't quite as mundane as getting something like a fish or gerbil. They will have to actually put some effort in and learn some biology to be ready for the pet.

Plus, reptiles are damn cool. Just don't get a turtle. Then you get the stinky water thing & have to feed them live fish.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Speaking as a mother, I always found this to be the worst reason to give a kid a pet. I think one should get pets because YOU (the parent) want to love and care for one. As you mentioned, many kids lose interest almost immediately, especially when the animal isn't interactive.
    So the child misses out on having a pet if the parent doesn't want any pets at all? I've known some people who grew up with parents like that... they were very resentful of that.

You start out with a pet appropriate to the child's age and level of interest. Giving a 5 year old a pet... isn't being reasonable with their level of maturity --- a toy pet that simulates such responsibility might be more appropriate (at least you won't have a 'dead pet' to have to explain to a child that young).

I was thinking of giving an older child a pet to teach responsibility --- during a time when the child is learning about keeping the house clean in return for an allowance. Easy enough to include 'you can have this pet so long you care for them.' My brother lost his hamster because he stopped caring for it... it ended up in my care because I wanted it and he wasn't caring for it. He wasn't allowed to have another pet for a couple of months... had to do extra chores to earn the 'privilege.' Finally, when he fulfilled what he 'promised to do' he was able to buy another hamster. He took better care of the animal... as the idea of it being taken away was very real to him.

Anyway, I don't know that having pets will necessarily teach a kid to be responsible. I tend to think of that as more of an inherent personality trait, although I suppose giving a kid who is responsible by nature a pet to care, they will gain skill in caring for that pet.

Any kid can be taught responsibility... some just take longer to learn it than others. They have to be capable of being taught such a concept... or else they will fail to adjust to life as an adult. Doesn't have to be a social animal they keep... some kids prefer reptiles and other solitary animals... whereas other kids do like the more affectionate kinds... like dogs and some cats.

Caring for a living creature helps to instill the idea that there are other living things in life... encourages curiosity... and when the animal dies (eventually one will die from old age or 'accident') it teaches them about life and death.

I doubt a video game would teach them such things... or even give them a chance to 'care' about something other than themselves. Teach them how being responsible can be rewarded by affection from the pet (in the case of a dog or cat)... or the animal resuming it's natural behaviors in a clean environment (becomes their own personal 'Discovery Channel').

It works out better if the parent gives the child the opportunity to choose from a group of animals within the same level of responsibility... rather than the parent picking out an animal and forcing the child to care for it --- especially if the parent really wants the animal for themselves and is having the child care for it. Denying the child a choice may lead to them liking the pet less.

My brother and I had a choice between having a hamster, rat, mouse, or gerbil (similar levels of responsibilities)... and of course, we still had the betta... it was thriving, which afforded us the 'luxury' of having another pet.

I didn't have a dog until I was about 12 years old... my brother wasn't 12 yet, so he couldn't have a dog... but he could play with mine if I let him (I was taught to 'share' so I did)... A 12 year old can take care of a dog all on their own... a younger child really can't...

See what I mean? Age-appropriate levels of responsibilities can be found in different pets. Bettas are very easy to care for... so younger children can care for them. Rodents are a little harder... so older children can care for them. Reptiles like snakes or an aquarium is a little tougher... so an even older child can care for them. Then finally, a dog or cat is a lot of responsibility... so you wait until the child is close to their teens (if not there already) before they can care for such an animal.

At each step... you give them a choice between sociable or less sociable animals to fit the child's 'personality.'

Pets can teach very valuable lessons to children... so long as you are reasonable with what you can expect from the child at their given age...

- James Allen

An aquarium to breed fish in, and then a rat snake to feed the fish to.

The ecosystem is emerging!

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    An aquarium to breed fish in, and then a rat snake to feed the fish to.

The ecosystem is emerging!

Used to breed fish to feed to an Oscar and a Ribbonsnake I had.... then I had a goliath waterbug that would eat the fish that died in the breeding tank... that was quite the 'ecosystem.'

- James Allen

Hi there, I'm glad you saved the fish Betta can live in horrible conditions because, unlike most fish, they can breath air from the surface of the water. They can also live weeks without food. In nature, they live in small puddles. I'm surprised they didn't kill each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshimmer View Post
    Hi there, I'm glad you saved the fish Betta can live in horrible conditions because, unlike most fish, they can breath air from the surface of the water. They can also live weeks without food. In nature, they live in small puddles. I'm surprised they didn't kill each other.

Nah.. they didn't try to kill each other.. actually the male had built a bubble nest, of all things. The female wasn't 'ready'... but the male sure as hell was..

- James Allen

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I used to have a Trigger fish. It was huge and absolutely vicious. If you walked by the aquarium it would smash against the glass again and again, desperately trying to get at you. Come feeding time it would ignore the food and jump for your hands. I loved that little monster.

Any time someone had a fish they didn't want to keep I gladly took it. And placed it in the tank with Cujo.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I used to have a Trigger fish. It was huge and absolutely vicious. If you walked by the aquarium it would smash against the glass again and again, desperately trying to get at you. Come feeding time it would ignore the food and jump for your hands. I loved that little monster.

Any time someone had a fish they didn't want to keep I gladly took it. And placed it in the tank with Cujo.

Had an Oscar like that... named him Kamikaze... he was excellent during football season... became the 'Halftime Show' for us.

- James Allen

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So the child misses out on having a pet if the parent doesn't want any pets at all? I've known some people who grew up with parents like that... they were very resentful of that.
    Well, some kids will be resentful of pretty much anything.

Also, the resentment can go both ways. In my house, it was my son who didn't want a pet, and every time the dog does something annoying, you can bet my son is resentful.

Any kid can be taught responsibility... some just take longer to learn it than others.
    The good news is that someday you will be able to put all your theories into practice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast