+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Found in an Apartment

Was Found in an Apartment

I realize I'm probably the last person anyone on this forum anyone would think cares about animals...

True, I do view them as being potential food... however, I also do not see any reason to treat animals in a cruel fashion... through either abuse or neglect.

One of the apartments where I live was recently vacated in a hurry... practically overnight. They left the apartment a mess, leaving a few items as well.

Among these items was a small fish bowl, half filled with soured water... it was too foggy to really see anything in it. When it was brought to the main office, I was curious as to why this was there. Upon closer inspection, I realized there was a fish in there. It was very much alive.

I asked to take the fish home... It was while I was removing the items from the bowl I realized there wasn't just one fish, but two. A male betta and a female betta. Needless to say, I was more than a little shocked. It was a wonder the fish had survived at all in such putrid conditions... and even more of a shock for anyone to put two bettas in the same bowl --- they're not called 'fighting fish' for nothing.

I cleaned up the bowl... put in new rocks... cleaned the items... set up two separate environments for the fish... and started their treatment for some common fish diseases.

It's day two... and though they are still quite ravenous... they seem to be looking better. As fish heal surprisingly fast.

So now I have two male bettas, and two female bettas.

I just don't understand some people... if they didn't want the fish anymore... it's not difficult to leave them with the main office. The other residents would've been more than happy to take the fish home with them. But to leave them in festering conditions with the water slowly evaporating, and no food... inching them closer to death... seems to be more than just heartless. I understand they're just $3 fish... but they're the easiest fish to take care of --- thus the easiest to give away.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I think you should dump him
    Relationships are never a threat, cause I'll Erase the history and act like we never met

--Joe Budden

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Island View Post
    I think you should dump him
    LOL... would that be the fish? Flush them down the commode?

Apparently someone was sleeping in class in today..
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    He must be on autopilot.

I never understood why people put fish in bowls either...

now people are putting people on leashes!

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I never understood why people put fish in bowls either...

now people are putting people on leashes!

If you've ever had a pack of 5 year olds stampede you in Wal-Mart... that 'human leash' starts to seem all the more appealing. Though shock collars might be a bit far for screaming children... but I guess you could put them on the parents talking on their cell phones while their kids destroy the store? It could be called a 'back to reality collar.'

- James Allen

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Dopple has been playing devil's advocate on that subject since 'Nisha brought up using a leash for her child.

Apparently toddlers are so conscious of themselves that they're embarrassed at being leashed like a dog.

Does prozac come as a chewable?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Does prozac come as a chewable?

Not sure... but Flintstone shaped tablets would be interesting... in a morbidly funny sort of way.

We give tranquilizers to dogs and cats... Ridlin to kids who are too 'hyperactive' for too preoccupied parents... So it's only a matter of time before Flintstone Prozac has a place right next to the Flintstone vitamins in the medicine cabinet.

- James Allen

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That reminds me that they are now making chewable vitamins for adults. That seems silly to me.

About your fish - you probably know that if you stick a plant with the roots exposed into the top of that fish bowl, the beta fish will feed from the roots, while the fish's fecal material and water will nourish the plant, and it makes an entire ecosystem. I just can't remember the name of the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    That reminds me that they are now making chewable vitamins for adults. That seems silly to me.

About your fish - you probably know that if you stick a plant with the roots exposed into the top of that fish bowl, the beta fish will feed from the roots, while the fish's fecal material and water will nourish the plant, and it makes an entire ecosystem. I just can't remember the name of the plant.

Yeah.. I've done that before as well, and hope to do so again... however, betta's are predominantly carnivorous... so they will still need to have more protein in their diet. I've also added some Stress-Zyme which helps to balance out the bacteria that exists in the small confines of their bowls... keeps the water fresher longer and promotes the growth of 'helpful' bacteria.

- James Allen

in the wild, betas live in stale, foggy waters. they're used to it. that's why they survived.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    in the wild, betas live in stale, foggy waters. they're used to it. that's why they survived.

Yeah.. think I saw something on the discovery channel the other day... they're one tough little fish... the 'attitude' just seems to add all the more to their 'charm.'

Although... in the wild, they are rather drab looking... for obvious reasons.

- James Allen

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good thing you were there ... How'd you end up checking the apartment anyway? Lucky fish, they are.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post
    Good thing you were there ... How'd you end up checking the apartment anyway? Lucky fish, they are.

I work for the apartment complex to make ends meet... as my other job is still quite slow.

So I was in there conducting a Damage Report.

- James Allen

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Yeah.. I've done that before as well, and hope to do so again... however, betta's are predominantly carnivorous... so they will still need to have more protein in their diet.
    Maybe, but the one we had lived for around a year on just the plant and water. That was long enough for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast