+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Guy's Career

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    the bottom line, love will only take you so far in life. likewise, money can buy you anything, even love.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    the bottom line, love will only take you so far in life. likewise, money can buy you anything, even love.

raverboy
    wow, i totally believe in the EXACT opposite of what you just said,

i believe love can be endless, until your dying days, and money CANNOT buy anything (i.e love)

if money buys love, then i don't think the love is real, the love is instead, based on currency (a piece of paper)

i believe money is not real. if you believe money is real, and continue your entire lives to 'accumulate' something that doesn't matter as much as life and love, then you must be a lost cause. (this is just my opinion)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    it all depends on how you view love. to first begin...

when you first lay your eyes on someone, you find them attractive because the females love to dress up and attract attention. and how do their first get your attention?? spending money and buying those tight dresses that show a lot of cleavage. skipping to the dating scene, a girl won't date just anyone. he must be kind to her and show her affection. a lot of times, these will include spending some monetary value. it doesn't have to be a lot, but it will cost something.

as for buying love, just look at hugh. he has all the money that he could ever need and still girls are throwing themselves at him. these are the gold diggers who want him to buy their love.

as for "love will only take you so far in life" love won't pay the bills.

raverboy

Hef is not buying love, he's buying companionship. We all know love wont pay the bills, but 'bills' arent worth living for
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    love, companionship.. call it whatever you want to.

raverboy

I've noticed Lloyd mention quite a bit about money being insanely important because of children. Do you really believe that if you make uber cash it'll make your kids happy? Being comfortable and being able to provide luxuries is one thing but believing that without a cushy income your kids will be miserable seems to be your opinion. Please correct me if I misunderstand, just trying to see your POV precisely.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk_T_Strife
    I've noticed Lloyd mention quite a bit about money being insanely important because of children. Do you really believe that if you make uber cash it'll make your kids happy? Being comfortable and being able to provide luxuries is one thing but believing that without a cushy income your kids will be miserable seems to be your opinion. Please correct me if I misunderstand, just trying to see your POV precisely.
    Good point, Zekk. I notice a lot of kids around my area are very rich, yet they're some of the most depressed individuals i've ever met. So much for all those millions.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

you know i was having a discussion with a friend about this. (male). he told me that he didn't want to get into a relationship with anybody because he wanted to finish school and find a good job and all that first. he brought up an interestiing piont. he said that everybody in his family had married the first person they were with and have no education, live in a small town, struggle to get by, etc. and he didn't want that for himself or his future partner. i thought this was very commendable. love is important, but moving up in life is too.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    you know i was having a discussion with a friend about this. (male). he told me that he didn't want to get into a relationship with anybody because he wanted to finish school and find a good job and all that first. he brought up an interestiing piont. he said that everybody in his family had married the first person they were with and have no education, live in a small town, struggle to get by, etc. and he didn't want that for himself or his future partner. i thought this was very commendable. love is important, but moving up in life is too.

Well yea, but all that depends on your situation. I think we'd all agree you dont want to struggle to get by, just that a relationship can be more rewarding than being rich.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

That goes back to what I was saying about extremes. People shouldn't say "to hell with progressing in my job" and go off and get married just as they shouldn't say "screw you people I wanna be RICH". Going all out in either direction is gonna screw ya.
    Heit ist mein taug.

To the extent that money is important when you have children, I agree with Lloyd. Money doesn't buy happiness, for sure, but it DOES buy housing in a safe neighborhood with good schools, which (for me) IS insanely important. (I suspect this is Lloyds point of view as well.) Of course, this sensitivity could be due to the fact that I live in an area where there is a HUGE gap in lifestyle between the rich and poor, and almost no middle class. Yes, the wealthier kids have their problems, too, but violent crime and substandard educational opportunities aren't amongst them for the most part.

Perhaps if I lived in a smaller area without rampant gang problems and lots of violent crime, I might be with you guys that say money isn't so important...

Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    he said that everybody in his family had married the first person they were with and have no education, live in a small town, struggle to get by, etc. and he didn't want that for himself or his future partner.
    Good for him. The cycle of familial poverty can only be broken when a single person is willing to do things differently.

Play now, play later.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Money doesn't buy happiness, for sure, but it DOES buy housing in a safe neighborhood with good schools, ... the wealthier kids have their problems, too, but violent crime and substandard educational opportunities aren't amongst them for the most part.

This is absolutely true. Its a lot easier to focus on raising healthy, functioning children when you don't have to worry about how much you can put into your grocery cart.
    (Hi shh!)

Basically, we're talking about choice & balance. If you have money, then you HAVE choice as to how you raise your children, manage your relationships, or whatever. But if you get out of balance and ONLY focus on making money, then you've lost that ability to choose.

Indigo! Where've you been? I've missed reading your posts and wondered whatever happended to you. I hope all is well, and that you'll be coming around now and again...

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk_T_Strife
    Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that you need to be insanely rich an by your kids a new BMW every year, but money does matter.

Yes, you want a nice a nice house a an area where the schools good.

I work for myself, and my health ins. I pay out of pocket, and it's >$1K/month for a family. (That's about $18K/year before taxes added onto your salary) I also want to put money away money/quarterly/yearly for college, retirement etc. So ontop of a "normal" persons base salary I have to make an extra $30K-$40K/year.

I just want to be able to live comfortably, not excessively. Once you have kids, you'll understand that they are the most important and you want them to be happy (read: NOT spoiled.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast