+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad, sad Christmas

I don't know, I probably wouldn't be excited about a sweater or boxers but at least you showed you're paying attention to him with the gift card (assuming it actually was to his favorite store). Buying you a gift card to a store that sells stuff you've told him you never use is really lame and you have a right to be upset about that.

It almost sounds like he's trying to tell you something by refusing to put any effort into it, and then immediately threatening breakup as soon as you bring up the issue.

Honestly, you are being a brat. Tis the season of GIVING, yet here you are focused on what you received. Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    I must disagree with those who are calling her a brat^^^

I feel the same way as she does. If I have a lot to give (and I do) - I always expect just as much back. If a person can not contribute the same level of thoughfulness then it is not worth my time.
    Those who are my age would understand me best. If we were able to give out time and try to make something out of meaningless relationships when we were younger (mainly because we were attracted head over heels), then at this age I am way more picky to whom I give my attention to.
    This is why you don't understand the meaning of the word GIFT let alone GIVE.
    Age has nothing to do with it because as it is you lack the maturity an experienced adult should have in a relationship.

You've much to learn about people.
    This is why you're not married happily at your age (hint)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    I must disagree with those who are calling her a brat^^^

I feel the same way as she does. If I have a lot to give (and I do) - I always expect just as much back. If a person can not contribute the same level of thoughfulness then it is not worth my time.
    Those who are my age would understand me best. If we were able to give out time and try to make something out of meaningless relationships when we were younger (mainly because we were attracted head over heels), then at this age I am way more picky to whom I give my attention to.
    What age are you? I am 35, and I am over the "gimme, gimme" phase of my life. I don't even let my 4-year-old daughter get away with that crap. The joy of gift-giving is spending the time and effort to get a perfect gift that reflects your feelings and knowledge about the person you care about. Truly artful gift-giving is not dependant on a price point. The joy of gift-receiving is working to understand the gift-giver's point of view and enjoying someone appreciating us enough to give any gift at all. If we have expectations or preferences, the time to air those is well in advance of a gift-giving opportunity. It is immature to decide on an appropriate amount of money or genre of gift or whatever as a recipient, but it is downright inane to do so without giving the gift-giver the benefit of this knowledge! Now, I do think that sometimes people exchanging gifts want to discuss a pricepoint just to avoid being embarassed by a huge difference. But that conversation needs to happen BEFORE gift-exchanges happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12