+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freshman year at college is going bad... how do i forget about her

Well then I guess your definition of love is subjective as well. Then I have no pretense to take it up as objective love. Love isn't subjective as there is a certain chemistry involved and I do believe you can get it down to a science. There are certain biological things that occur, and it does not correlate with abusing another as with pedophilia regulates.

The reasons why we have specific terms for such things is for us to understand in the general sense. When someone indicates they are in love then we have to qualify it as something acceptable throughout so we can understand the premise of which their reasoning is. If being in love isn't what is accepted and understood widely throughout then there would be no need for words as everything is subjective and trivial.

Borealis
    Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Well then I guess your definition of love is subjective as well. Then I have no pretense to take it up as objective love. Love isn't subjective as there is a certain chemistry involved and I do believe you can get it down to a science. There are certain biological things that occur, and it does not correlate with abusing another as with pedophilia regulates.

The reasons why we have specific terms for such things is for us to understand in the general sense. When someone indicates they are in love then we have to qualify it as something acceptable throughout so we can understand the premise of which their reasoning is. If being in love isn't what is accepted and understood widely throughout then there would be no need for words as everything is subjective and trivial.

Borealis
    I agree that people's choice of words should be questioned, but disagree that love is the same for everyone. How would you measure this? A loveometer?
    Spammer Spanker

blah ya, its easy to place priorities first. but its hard to isolate yourself from your emotions and feelings. ah well, I've been taking some additional classes lately and I've been seeing some pretty girls... hopefully this will help me get over this quickly

I do not believe there is a degree of love like you suppose in a "loveometer". There is love and an array of other feeling of emotions one could have for another such as infatuation, obsession and dislike. This is where word choice becomes essential as there is no such thing as a varied degree in love or emotion. Someone could say they are really in love, but that would only mean that they are feeling the emotion of love coupled with excitement.

Based on neurology and biological chemistry however it is feasible to create such a thing as a "loveometer". Like previously discussed it could not measure a degree of love, but it could accurately say if a person is in the state of love. Depending on neuron activity and dopamine retention one could say whether an individual is in love. The science speaks for itself.

What I will say in your defense is that if you could show me that the soul is an essential ingredient in the feeling of love then the falsification of such a technology would be possible. Measuring love would not be just a simple science as I supposed previously. I would much rather believe in this notion because this feeling then would be a sole possession of human nature.

Borealis
    Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You should look for the correct term otherwise the letter of law and the things people plea in the court of law have no pertinence. However in loose conversations such as these I do see your point.
    Are we discussing the "law"?

No.

And if it bothers you so much, why don't you go find yourself the politically correct term and keep it to yourself, 'cause I quite frankly don't care.

I got my point across, that's all that matters.

It is necessary to find the suitable words for the condition otherwise language would be trivial. It is there to help you better communicate and extract the ideas and thoughts in your mind. If it is a hindrance for you to find the right words then living with caveman would not be much different as living with Homo sapiens.

Borealis

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It is necessary to find the suitable words for the condition otherwise language would be trivial. It is there to help you better communicate and extract the ideas and thoughts in your mind. If it is a hindrance for you to find the right words then living with caveman would not be much different as living with Homo sapiens.

Borealis
    No, actually it's not necessary.

Ever heard of an analogy, or metaphor?

Exactly.

Haha you are really stupid. =]

Borealis

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Haha you are really stupid. =]

Borealis
    Before you start a name calling, did you find a word to replace "love" in this context?

Could one better describe this man's feelings without experiencing exactly how he is feeling?

Second of all, when it comes to emotions, I think we all know that there are times when there simply aren't words to accurately describe what we are feeling. Which is why people would resort to something such as an analogy, "I feel like this and this" or "it is as if such and such".

So don't come in here tryin' to come off as if the English language, or any language for that matter has some sort of perfect vocabulary. For a person who seems to pride themselves on their irrefutable logic, I find you to be acting quite irrational.

Read your third paragraph and tell me if I am the one acting irrational. You say "there simply aren't words to describe what we are feeling" but following you say "[w]hich is why [we] resort to something such as an analogy."

Let me get this right. You say there are no words in the English language to quite define the condition we are in but then go on further to say that analogy is a commendable replacement? Is an analogy not equatable by words?

Please tell me where my "irrefutable logic" is going astray if you say one thing in your statement and then go back to say another.

As for the replacement of "love" in this context I would suggest: interest. He had an interest in her, but found that it was conflicting with his academic goals.

Goodluck,
    Borealis

How do you quantify an experience, especially one that is different for everyone?

Borealis, we're essentially talking about the difference between the word "brain" and the word "mind". Quantify the mind. Explain it. Define it.

Love is like that.
    Spammer Spanker

Giga,

If you would like I will suppose a simple analogy for you then. The brain is the hardware and the mind is the software.

As for experience please be more particular. Do you mean specific experience like putting both pant legs on at the same time? Or are you speaking in broader sense like love, hate, kindness, care, etc. Because then that could be quantified by my previous explanation.

In any case I see your point as this further removes us from the topic. If you would like to talk about it more private message me, so we can stop hijacking this man's thread.

Goodluck,
    Borealis

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Frasbee, I would have to disagree with that. If then by your definition pedophiles and those alike with obsessions can coin what they do "love". You should look for the correct term otherwise the letter of law and the things people plea in the court of law have no pertinence.
    "The correct term" you say. You have not provided me the correct term, because you know none exists.

However in loose conversations such as these I do see your point.
    And that's all that matters.

My point is a person can always try to describe it, but it's not the same as when a person is describing something physical. Where a picture or a drawing can replicate exactly what they want to describe. Love is all encompassing. Even if that includes the darker side of love, being peoples obsessions.

Frasbee--

I see your point. But, I am going to disagree because words and images coincide; one can replicate the other. Maybe this is a matter of opinion. Otherwise, this discussions seems exhausted.

Goodluck,
    Borealis

I disagree that "words and images coincide; one can replicate the other". If you described in great detail a scene or picture, no two people will be able to imagine (or paint) it the same exact way. Even if you can give an exact, scientific definition of love, you have no way of knowing if that's how everyone else experiences it.

Kind of like the way you can scientifically quanitify what counts as "green", but you have no way of knowing how other people perceive the same color.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast