+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the death penalty

I am strongly opposed to it.

Who are we to play God?

The death penalty requires a perfect legal system to have its place. Killing an innocent person is just too grave a mistake. A mistake that we can not afford to make, ever. Good luck finding anyone in this country who believes our legal system is even close to perfect. We convict innocent people all the time; and let guilty people go. That's bad enough. Killing innocent people is horrendous.

You know, a criminal is a criminal. If they do something serious enough to get a life sentence or the death penalty then I don't care which they do. Good riddance to such trash.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hahahaha.. perfect?? c'mon now. can you tell me of anything that is perfect?? we are human and we are bound to make mistakes, yet killing and murdering another people..that is something intolerable so why shouldnt' we be able to take their lives?? they already have taken the lives of others. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    hahahaha.. perfect?? c'mon now. can you tell me of anything that is perfect?? we are human and we are bound to make mistakes
    Absolutely. That is why IMHO irreversible penalties are indiscussable.

yet killing and murdering another people..that is something intolerable so why shouldnt' we be able to take their lives?? they already have taken the lives of others. raverboy
    So what? Lock them up. If they are innocent after all, they won't get their years back. So it's partially irreversible. But it also keeps them from doing further harm onto society.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    ts something I FEEL we need in this country for obvious reasons.
    Right. For sure, countries with death penalty have lower capital crime rates. Right?!

Feeling and believing in spite of the facts is called fundamentalism in other contexts. You might as well argue by the bible's "eye for an eye".

To make one thing completely clear: I do not condemn you. And I am not on a misson against the death penalty. But I would hope you might reconsider in how far your "feelings" and "firm beliefs" are telling you the right thing.

Um did I NOT say I wouldnt push my opinions on other people-yea I did. You cant pass judgement on me or anyone else who has their own beliefs. I have my reasons.

And I dont question it at all-THEYRE MINE!!!

And nothing is perfect in todays societys...nothing.
    With the new technology available to CSI-the rates of wrongful convictions is coming down. But eye for an eye is right!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    life in prison?? c'mon do you really think that it's all that bad in there? it might not be the nicest place, but everything is free!!! everything. they get free food, shelter, clothes. i mean what more could they want? especially if they are on drugs, they get free treatment. meanwhile we are working hard to pay for these things that criminals take for grant. however it might cost more to sent them to the chamber, yet i feel i would rather spend my 2 mill watching them die then my 400,000 to support them for the rest of their lives. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I am not passing judgement on you for what opinions you hold.

But I am seriously critizing you for not questioning you're position at all.

I may be wrong with my dislike for the death penalty. But I am open for good arguments. And I often DO question my position on certain things (including my dislike of the death penalty).

But if you are unable to react to outside arguments, you cannot evolve. Your opinion cannot. And that is plain said.

Plainly stated - it is ignorant.

P.S.: By the way, genetic fingerprints are way less reliable than you might think. Nowhere like a 100% security of identity.

Why should I have to defend my position? There my own damn thoughts.

Its certainly NOT ignorant to not want to fight or question my own ****n beliefs.
    It is this simple: I believe in the death penalty because those bastards who have inflicted more than death on someone but show no remorse belong in hell. Those family members have to deal with that loss the rest of their lives...and what does the bastard who did it do? Sit in jail for free-get an education that WE pay for-and hence cant even pay for own damn education.

I dont have to question this one-I know where I stand and wont change my position on it. Obviously everyone has their own opinions on it-I dont feel I need to pursuade someone to see my side-or vice versa.

Why should I have to defend my position? There my own damn thoughts.
    You don't have to. But you DO.

Its certainly NOT ignorant to not want to fight or question my own ****n beliefs.
    It is this simple: I believe in the death penalty because those bastards who have inflicted more than death on someone but show no remorse belong in hell. Those family members have to deal with that loss the rest of their lives...and what does the bastard who did it do? Sit in jail for free-get an education that WE pay for-and hence cant even pay for own damn education.
    Revenge is seldom a good advisor. And what exactly do you gain by killing them - besides a good feeling?!

I dont have to question this one-I know where I stand and wont change my position on it. Obviously everyone has their own opinions on it-I dont feel I need to pursuade someone to see my side-or vice versa.
    Never say never ...

Damn-youre killing me here!!!

My thoughts are based on what Ive learned through school, my own research, and the fact I have a son I want around. It scares me when I see so much violence in the world today...where I live we have 33 convicted child molesters-in my little county. And several of them live down the street. These kind of sick people and others who murder belong on death row.

I agree with Raverboy to the fullest extent. When I first saw his post I knew Id get shit for my beliefs or strong convictions on the subject. If I didnt want confrontation or a good arguement I couldve left that alone.

But I tend to see a lot of things through a parents eyes...

Damn-youre killing me here!!!
    Which I would not want to - even if you were guilty of one of the aforementioned crimes

I see your point and - once again - I totally respect your opinion on this matter.

I was just teasing you about the way you sound like a "i-believe-there-is-nothing-you-can-do-to-change-my-mind" fundamentalist.

But I understand that it is (like in the thread on teenage sexuality) just your way of expressing your not-fundamentalist-at-all stance on the subject.

Which is not to say I won't be taking you up in the future threads

sounds like we see things diffrently which is fine-I dont judge people for their views. Once in awhile its fun to get into a debate-ONCE IN AWHILE-you wont see my name under the DEBATE TEAM...

you wont see my name under the DEBATE TEAM...
    Ooh. I wouldn't really know what a "DEBATE TEAM" is? You care to clarify?

haha hell no...Im done debating today thank you very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast