+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daddy's spoilt little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    How do you feel about it then, sameguy?
    They don't appreciate anything they get. They should be working and see how hard is to make money and maybe then they will value what they get.

self-plagiarism...i know

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    If my daughter was lucky enough that I bought her a car (which I wouldn't), and she whined about the colour, I'd say "to hell with you" and take the car back. Then she'd get nothing. Even an apology wouldn't work, she disrespects me, that's it.
    Why the hell would anyone buy their daughter a car in the first place? Not only are women more prone to getting into car accidents (lol) but kids need to buy their own cars, and learn how to handle money properly.

I just bought my son a car. It's used. He's too busy getting into a top-ranked college to have a job, so I don't mind paying for safer car than what he was driving. He also carts my girl around.

If he were a loser or ungrateful, I wouldn't have bought it, though.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My friend from Cold Spring Harbor tells me about how rich and annoying so many of the people are and the ridiculously expensive cars their parents buy for them. Makes me super glad I did not grow up there (even though they have an amazing high school)

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am not buying my kids a car, I don't care if I'm loaded. I had to earn every freakin' thing I got, and so will they. They won't appreciate it unless they do. My parents used to say that to me, and now it makes complete sense.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I used to say that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    I just bought my son a car. It's used. He's too busy getting into a top-ranked college to have a job, so I don't mind paying for safer car than what he was driving. He also carts my girl around.

If he were a loser or ungrateful, I wouldn't have bought it, though.
    Well I completely understand if he is a diligent student. I mean, somewhere along the line, as a student, if you're too busy studying and learning, you've probably earned a car.

My parents never bought me a car. Until I was robbed at gunpoint on my college campus. Then my mom bought me a used one which I promptly named The Brown Rocket. It wasn't very fancy of course, but I was extremely grateful.

I think it's smart to buy your kid a car for safety reasons, if you can afford it.
    Last edited by starbuck; 07-10-08 at 07:27 AM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

To clarify, the car is technically mine and my husband's. We won't drive it, though. It's for the kids.

I used to think I wouldn't buy my kids a car. Then I decided I wouldn't buy them a new car. Most of the parents where I live get their kids cars. I don't want my kids hopping into some other kid's car for rides. I don't trust all those other kid's driving as much as I trust my own. Besides, why should they have to do without because I grew up poor? We can afford it. They are good kids that work a hell of a lot harder in school than I did at that age. They appreciate what we give them, and they don't ask for much. I know lots of good, decent people whose parents bought them cars when they were teens. Why not? :shrug:
    Last edited by shh!; 07-10-08 at 07:46 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You need a car in LA, unless you want to spend your life chauffeuring your kids around. So long as they are responsible, I'd do the same thing, Vash, its not spoiling them.

Do they have to help w/insurance, etc? Sorry if you answered this, just jumping in.

I don't know yet what I will or won't buy my kids in the future. My thoughts on this are constantly changing. Though, it will definetly be on merit. My brother pays his young kids salaries for various jobs around the house, like shoveling snow out of the drive way. I think I'll adopt something like that.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You need a car in LA, unless you want to spend your life chauffeuring your kids around. So long as they are responsible, I'd do the same thing, Vash, its not spoiling them.

Do they have to help w/insurance, etc? Sorry if you answered this, just jumping in.
    Only my son is driving at this time. He didn't get his license until he was almost 17, which is about a year later than most kids. We get an outrageously good deal on insurance, so we are paying it because he acts as my girl's chauffer, but he buys gas and pays for repairs.

My girl won't be driving until she is at least 17. She has to have her seizures under control for a year before she can get a license.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12