+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I gave away my boots...

fras you're not going to like this:

this is exactly what i have been saying about giving. don't you get the point of not showing off at all but enjoying within yourself that you did something nice? everyone patted you on the back as expected.....yep like dopple said why don't ya publish it the paper then maybe it will make you more popular....please, charity is about giving, its nice to hear that people do nice things but also sad when they look for recognition
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    fras you're not going to like this:

this is exactly what i have been saying about giving. don't you get the point of not showing off at all but enjoying within yourself that you did something nice? everyone patted you on the back as expected.....yep like dopple said why don't ya publish it the paper then maybe it will make you more popular....please, charity is about giving, its nice to hear that people do nice things but also sad when they look for recognition
    And you don't think he'd do it somewhere other than on an anonymous forum if he was looking for attention?

He had a story to tell and he posted it. That's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    And you don't think he'd do it somewhere other than on an anonymous forum if he was looking for attention?

He had a story to tell and he posted it. That's that.

haha lipp how naive, how many compliments did he get?.... puuleeze. it's completely contrived and pretty sad like i said, i speak the truth, not to be mean but it's not as admirable when someone is trying to take something from their charity giving.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

But if you want to make such connections, wouldn't it link your "brazilian men story" to that you want to appear as attractive because they were with you?
    In which case you'd might just have seemed easy enough for them to engage in a foursome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    But if you want to make such connections, wouldn't it link your "brazilian men story" to that you want to appear as attractive because they were with you?
    In which case you'd might just have seemed easy enough for them to engage in a foursome.
    what i consider good looking compared to what you think is good looking are two different things likely. beauty is in the eye of the beholder and infairness i put it across as in the brazilian likely just wanted a one night stand and if so it sucks.....how is that making me more attractive?....really lipp, keep up...

Jeez, it's like talking to a 14-year old. Last attempt to not pollute Fras' thread. Briefly.

-> Fras telling a story about boots, which you deemed as a call for attention over being generous.
    -> You telling a story about meeting brazilian men, which with the same thing in mind would be a call for attention by appearing to be more attractive (the last post was intended separately to be read from the final remark).

Get it for once? Or will it be yet another post with a hollow "laugh" and nonsensical point?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eco, shame on you for messing up this thread. In the end, who cares WHY a person does a good thing, so long as they do it? Why do you begrudge them a pat on the back? Do you not think they deserve one?

Besides, this thread was more about the psychology of Frasbee parting with things he loves than it was about him giving them away. He's made more than one thread about his beloved boots, and it is of no surprise to anyone who's been here a while that this would bea hard thing for him to do.

You are making the Irish look crazy.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If I spoke to anonymous individuals of a good deed, are you suggesting the boots will no longer protect the feet of their owners?

Will the clothes make their new owners any less warm?

Is it wrong to try to inspire others to perform a random act of kindness?

I will say something here, now. Eco, that is one of the most despicable things I think you have ever said and I know you've said many of them. You'll probably be sad to know that many volunteer organizations use blogs, and publish editorials that share individuals volunteer experiences. Whether its for building some nature trail, or feeding soup to homeless.

Here's something. Imagine every time a person performed an act of kindness in public, or spoke of it, or wrote about it, they were called out on it and insulted for being so selfish. Do this for me, the next time you see some kind of public volunteer event, I want you to denounce their actions. I want you to spit on their organization's t-shirts, and tell them how worthless their efforts are now that they've been recognized.

Take the soup and donated clothing from the needy, it's tainted.

Burn down Habitat's housing, it's tainted.

How about those breast cancer events? Raise awareness? What a crock of shit. Everybody is aware of breast cancer, they always have been, it's just an excuse to have a feel-good event, correct?

The only people that I know personally that are aware of anything I did yesterday, are my girlfriend, and the roommate that donated his sweatshirt.

The only people that thanked me yesterday was the roofer, and the hispanic. I had 5 pairs of boots, and even more clothes. So that leaves 3 more pair of boots whose owners I never met. So how did all those other people get those items? I don't know, because I didn't hand them all out myself. I left it up to the roofer who claimed he'd be greeted like a king when he got back inside. Maybe he kept it all, but maybe he didn't. He also told me that he's always supported the Salvation Army, and even donated 200 dollars upon leaving one. How contrived, right? Cut that man down, how dare he.

You would've hated the updates I posted during AmeriCorps.

Once while leading a church group from...Wisconsin was it? During lunch a few of them asked me if I believed in Jesus. They told me that Jesus, or their church, or whatever more or less dictated that they had to do this kind of work. I avoided the religious talk altogether, I didn't believe it was appropriate as team lead to discuss those things, but what I did tell them was "Does it really matter why you're doing this? I have my reasons, and you guys have your own. The house still gets gutted, the results are the same."

So basically, it boils down to this, those clothes will keep those men warm, and those boots (which I loved), will take those men miles, whether I'm given praise or whether I'm denounced.

So shut the f*ck up.

i think it's great to hear stories about hope and successes and true compassion and sacrifice. it's very inspiring.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

you americans will never get it. but yes ultimately its great to give to charity especially something you love (thats sacrifice) just don't start looking for praise, that all i say because its crude to look for praise imo. you guys think differently, fine. and yes if someone tells me they donate and how much and to what charity, yes it is contrived, whether you want to believe it or not. people dont/shouldn't (depending on their character) need praise for doing the right and good thing for someone else, they just do it and shut the f-uck up.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 17-11-08 at 12:11 AM.

He didnt ask for praise Eco. Matter of fact when we were telling him how proud we were and such he made it clear it was more so about giving him a shoulder to cry on for letting go of something he loved. And you're constant categorizing Americans as one is quite annoying to be honest.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

i'm not trying to antagonise tbh, i'm pointing out discussing charity is unfair to the people who receive the charity. giving to charity should be standard for people who can afford, and the people who should only be discussing it are the ones who receive it, if they feel like it

the ONLY reason i brought up americans is coz gribble tried to point out we europeans need to learn from this, i think it's the other way around imo
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 17-11-08 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    you americans will never get it. but yes ultimately its great to give to charity especially something you love (thats sacrifice) just don't start looking for praise, that all i say because its crude to look for praise imo. you guys think differently, fine. and yes if someone tells me they donate and how much and to what charity, yes it is contrived, whether you want to believe it or not. people dont/shouldn't (depending on their character) need praise for doing the right and good thing for someone else, they just do it and shut the f-uck up.
    he wasn't looking for praise. he's sad because his beloved boots are gone. k? if you don't think he deserves praise, then don't give him any.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Fras doesn't want my praise. He wants my mouth so I can suck his penis

And he can have that

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eco, I honestly don't believe you've ever lifted a finger to help another. You'll gladly wag your lips, though. You and Boobaa are perfect for each other.

Fras, don't even pay attention to this woman. She's just a selfish, empty person.

Oh, and Fras? You have more boots than a ****ing girl. What the ****??
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast