+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I gave away my boots...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I gave away my boots...

1..2...3...4...5 pairs of boots.

I was walkin' today, and saw a clothes give away at this church. I had some clothes I wanted to get rid of so I went to get some info on where to drop it, and met this homeless guy who does roofing for a living. Temporarily homeless, (long story).

I looked at his feet and saw he was wearing shoes, so I asked him what his shoe size was. He told me around an 8, so I told him I have a bunch of boots I was trying to get rid of because I never wear them. I walked with him until we got to the main road and he told me he was staying at the salvation army right down the street.

So I went back home, and collected my boots and go some clothes from my roommates, as many sweatshirts as I could get now that it's getting cold.

I found the guy waiting outside, and I showed him the boots, and a hispanic fellow came up askin' if I was sellin' the boots. Turns out quite a few of these people actually do work (mostly on construction sites), but for whatever reason either lost their homes or moved here and never got one.

As I was explaining my collection of boots I began to get this funny feeling. Like I was seeing my child off to college or something.

I know this seems funny to some, but I love boots. Every pair of boots I was showing them averaged about 120 dollars a pair. Some were waterproof, some were steel toe, some were worn often, some were worn not at all. I'm wearing a pair of boots as we speak. I was showing the roofer one pair of boots and explained how I had those boots for 5 years now, and another for 7. And I started to get reflective as I thought about it.

I've been through so much between when I purchased those boots until now. But despite their wear, I kept them clean, and polished.

I didn't expect to give away all the boots, I was only going to give him a selection, but when the hispanic came up and tried on a pair that he fell in love with: "I'll wear my shoes when I walk, and these when I work!" I decided to give them all away. Even the pair of steel toe I wore during AmeriCorps.

I had never really thought about it before, but it was strange to pass on something as personal as my boots. I was already wondering where those boots would take their owners in the future. I felt proud that I could give other working men premium footwear, something that will keep their feet dry and free of nails.

I kind of miss my boots, especially those soft toe all leather combat boots I had since high school. But I also know it's a little silly to have applied so much sentiment to a material item.

I dunno, I was just feeling reflective.

That's very nice of you Frasbee.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Let me put it this way.

I don't need a pat on the back.

I need a shoulder to cry on.

Those were my babies...

You should publish this in the local newspaper. Seriously, the generosity needs to be spread around in times like this.

And in a non-gay way, you can cry on my shoulder if you need to

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Let me put it this way.

I don't need a pat on the back.

I need a shoulder to cry on.

Those were my babies...
    Lol well sah...

Well, you stated that it was like sending your kids off, so you'd have to see it as learning to let go. I say you've done it for a good cause. But, since the meaning of this thread was for a shoulder to cry on, so here...

*puts out shoulder*

It'll be ok
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey now, what do you guys take me for, a sap??

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Hey now, what do you guys take me for, a sap??
    You? A sap?That'll be the day...

I think you helped yourself more than you helped these people. It was a kind deed to give them away. But it is more rewarding for you, to realize that those materialistic things ultimately mean nothing to you.

Bravo, and no, not a sap, don't be silly.

aw frizzzzzz.

you are going to be blessed greatly for what you did.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Wow, my kind of guy and hard to find. You are one of a kind.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think it's great to see who gets to benefit from your generosity.

Sap.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your boots are probably being mistreated as we speak

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Your boots are probably being mistreated as we speak
    They'll never be treated the same as I treated them...

Then again, I abused them too, I just treated them to saddle soap and polish to hide the bruises.

I liked to call it "tough love".

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're a cool guy, Fras. Our vocal Europeans could really learn a lesson from you.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

i want some kick ass boots frizzz you should pick a pair out for me.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast