+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mutts.. mixed breeds.. heinz 57

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know some of where I'm from, but some of it is sketchy. My family has been in Canada for like 200 years on my mom's side, and 100 on my dad's. I really have no connection to my European roots anymore.

I know I have a lot of English blood. My Dad's dad spoke German but came from somewhere in Russia that used to be a part of Germany or something like that.....they call it 'white russia'....Prussia? We still can't figure out where my Mom's grandfather is from, although we believe it's eastern European of some kind. Maybe Romanian. I definitely have some Ukrainian.....my Mom's grandmother was Ukrainian. Maybe that why I like perogies and cabbage rolls so much.

At the end of the day I'm a Canadian. And a euro-mutt.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    they call it 'white russia'....Prussia?
    Belorussia or proper name "Belorusy"

Canada is actually considered a second home for Ukranians because it's 5% Ukranian populated, so I'm not surprised to see your roots back to the place. It was interesting to see streets named after Ukranian activists and poets in the densely French populated neighborhoods in Montreal. I doubt many of the locals knew who these people were. For me it was bizarre, but in a positive way.

Though, if you think that your roots go back to European origins if they are coming from the eastern Europe think again. Ukraine, like Russia is a melting pot of gene pool stretching all the way from middle east, to Europe, to Asia.

But I think Europe itself in a way does as well.

How about we just call ourselves African since apparently this is where all of our ancestors originally come from?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, actually some of my family were apparently Doukhobors.

I watched a really interesting show once Mish, where this scientist guy was taking dna samples from all over Africa Europe and Asia, and he could actually trace the migration path of ancient people. They all came from Africa originally.

What was really interesting is the fact that he said people moved around and fanned out from an area around Kazakhstan. Some went to asia, some went to Europe, some went to south Asia. And if you look at the original pure blooded Kazakhs from the remote villages, they look like a mix of all the races. It was so cool.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    What's a colored Russian?
    it's called a "black russian" made with vodka and coffee liquor.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    What was really interesting is the fact that he said people moved around and fanned out from an area around Kazakhstan. Some went to asia, some went to Europe, some went to south Asia. And if you look at the original pure blooded Kazakhs from the remote villages, they look like a mix of all the races. It was so cool.
    What was the name of the show? I'd like to see it

I remember reading about the Kurgan people, their legacy apparently is spread all over western, eastern Europe and all the way to Asia.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am primarily Irish and German (who knows what else), but I refuse to recognize my German ancestors because I believe they are crazy MFers.

Before he hit his growth spurt, my son used to ask me why I couldn't have married a black man so he could be taller and better at basketball.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I am primarily Irish and German (who knows what else), but I refuse to recognize my German ancestors because I believe they are crazy MFers.
    Heil Hitler!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ...and you aren't helping their case any, lilwing.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

How were your ancestors crazy?

Before he hit his growth spurt, my son used to ask me why I couldn't have married a black man so he could be taller and better at basketball.
    Wow...lol that's funny.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

and I though that you were jewish cuz of the whole vashti name.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    What was the name of the show? I'd like to see it

I remember reading about the Kurgan people, their legacy apparently is spread all over western, eastern Europe and all the way to Asia.
    I loved that Genographic show as well.

[url]https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html[/url]
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    and I though that you were jewish cuz of the whole vashti name.
    I am. I converted years ago.

I am. I converted years ago.
    really? you took a giyur?

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Heil Hitler!
    I guess Germans still have a lot of work to do in regards to the common stereotype...

I remember growing up being called a nazi... despite the fact my best friend was Jewish! And of all the kids in class, I was the only one more or less forced to have to learn everything about WWII... if for no other reason than for defence against the teasing.

However, I wasn't the only one persecuted for my heritage... as usual you had those of African decent, Asian decent, Italian... etc.. being picked on too. Looking back now... I don't think there was a single kid who wasn't picked on because of their looks or ancestry.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast