+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Politics

Politics is a huge part of my life, I study the canidates, I watch the debates, I research the issues, I follow my senators and Reps voting records and I vote ALWAYS.

Occasionally I attend fundraisers and rallies, I volunteer, I put up yard signs et cetra...

I have a hard time imagining that I could fall for someone whose political view strongly opposed mine. I actually find certain political views to be repulsive...I'd be more likely to be attracted to someone who has an ass sprouting out of their forehead.

The only thing I find less attractive is people who think politics is unimporant. Apathy is one of the least attractive qualities in the world.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenofCorona View Post
    (not everything is black or white, thats how I roll)
    '...And nobody will convince us, that white is white and black is black...' Jarosław Kaczyński , Ex polish Prime Minister

hihihihihi
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Heratriumphant View Post
    Politics is a huge part of my life, I study the canidates, I watch the debates, I research the issues, I follow my senators and Reps voting records and I vote ALWAYS.

Occasionally I attend fundraisers and rallies, I volunteer, I put up yard signs et cetra...

I have a hard time imagining that I could fall for someone whose political view strongly opposed mine. I actually find certain political views to be repulsive...I'd be more likely to be attracted to someone who has an ass sprouting out of their forehead.

The only thing I find less attractive is people who think politics is unimporant. Apathy is one of the least attractive qualities in the world.
    Just curious: Republican?
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

I've already been down that road.

I could date someone with slightly differing views, but not with strongly opposed views. I would never marry someone too far off from my own perspective. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't have a child to raise and teach values to. There is no way I would allow some right-wing kook to fill her head with anti-social crap.

I've been taking that kid to watch me vote since I had to carry her into the booth. I've had enough trouble with the fact that her dad is a lazy ass who doesn't even vote and doesn't know enough about politics to hold a conversation about it with her, let alone me. He's trying to teach her that votes doesn't matter and the government, even at the local level, is all one big sham anyway, just a big conspiracy to take our money. It's disgusting.

Her stepdad is pretty much the opposite. Neither one of us is very extreme- both left-leaning moderates.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Liberals--Would you date (or marry) a conservative or is that something that you would never do?

Conservatives--Would you date (or marry) a liberal or is that something you would never do?

Personally, I don't believe in a bi-partisan bedroom. It would be lowest form of defilement to share the sheets with the enemy.
    What's a Liberal and what's a Conservative?

Without defining them you might as well ask would the square date the round and would the round date the square.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    What's a Liberal and what's a Conservative?

Without defining them you might as well ask would the square date the round and would the round date the square.
    How to determine if you are liberal or conservative:

Nuclear war has been declared, you and you family has had ample time to build a fallout shelter with enough supply to last you and your family for the duration of the fallout.

Outside you see a woman with a baby -- she didn't plan... she didn't ask anyone to include her in their plans... and if you take her in you and your family will die of thirst long before it's safe to go outside again.

A. Do you take pity, bring the woman and baby inside, thus endangering everyone?

B. Do you leave the woman and child outside knowing that you must put your family first?

(Even if you take only the baby, that will put too much strain on you and your family's survival -- you'll all die).

If you choose A... you are liberal... if you choose B... you are conservative.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

My bf tends to favor the liberal side... I generally ride the middle... favoring whichever proves more logical at a given time. You need a mix of conservative and liberal values to keep a country in balance. Too much power to either ideology can create different circumstances but will lead to same conclusion -- ruin. You must have balance.
    Last edited by Aeradalia; 03-02-10 at 06:54 AM.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    If you choose A... you are liberal... if you choose B... you are conservative.
    It's funny, but it's far away from the truth.

A Christian conservative may think it's their duty to let the woman in to ensure their place in the afterlife. A liberal banker may think it's their duty to keep the woman out.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    It's funny, but it's far away from the truth.

A Christian conservative may think it's their duty to let the woman in to ensure their place in the afterlife. A liberal banker may think it's their duty to keep the woman out.

You miss the point though... sadly.

A liberal risks putting themselves in a bind... a conservative puts themselves first.

When times are good, a liberal mindset can be supported.

When times are bad, a more conservative mind frame is favorable.

- James Allen

A liberal risks putting themselves in a bind... a conservative puts themselves first.

But that's not true. Either liberal or conservative may put themselves in a bind or put themselves first depending on circumstances and personality of the individual. There is no clear demarcation line between the two.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

So keep things as they are when they don't work (times are bad) and change them when they do work (times are good)?

How does that make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    Just curious: Republican?
    Nope, not even close.

And how f-n sad is it that you assume that because I give a damn I'm a right winger?

Quote Originally Posted by Heratriumphant View Post
    Nope, not even close.

And how f-n sad is it that you assume that because I give a damn I'm a right winger?
    It was a stereotypical assumption. My apologies

But you have proven another American stereotype.
    You people can get so incredibly wound up about small thing like what party someone votes for. You have the ability to be more obsessed with winning from the other party, that you let the actual problems rage on (your economy is one thing)

But like I said. It's just politics. 99% of them are going to dissapoint (for instance: see Obama's approval rates).

Power corrupts.

Just relax...there's nothing you can do about it
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Personally, I don't believe in a bi-partisan bedroom. It would be lowest form of defilement to share the sheets with the enemy.
    Testing out new pickup lines, Cam? Good luck with this one.

I think that politics is one of many things (including moral values, religion, music taste, general lifestyle) where common ground is needed in order for there to be any chance of harmony in a relationship, but too much common ground isn't really helpful because it means neither person's point of view is challenged or expanded.

I think the amount of overlap necessary/sufficient for a good relationship is dependent on the personalities involved. Certain people are less capable of stepping out of their comfort zones - more overlap. People who thrive on new experiences benefit from less overlap. Up to a point, of course. And I don't see how any discourse is possible without some common ground to build from.

I hope you're picturing a Venn Diagram.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast