+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bipolar

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I'm saying that people love to be diagnosed with chemical imbalances/mental disorders so they don't have to own up to their behavior.
    I think it's very easy to look on from the outside and criticise people with mental disorders, but unless you have symptoms of your own you really can't speak for those people that do experience it. I used to volunteer as a telephone counsellor and I treated every single person's problem (no matter how absurd I thought they were) seriously as it was real for them. Heck, someone was scared of imaginary floating pineapples coming to kill him!

Then again, yes I agree, there are people that use the diagnosis of mental illness as an excuse to do things that they otherwise wouldn't get away with and that annoys me.

mel2208, I'm assuming the symptoms were a real problem for your best friend and that is why she went to a dr and got diagnosed. I hope the treatments resulting from the diagnosis actually help her. And, she is not alone.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm saying that people love to be diagnosed with chemical imbalances/mental disorders so they don't have to own up to their behavior.
    I must have at least 5 mental diseases. My problem is, I never went to the doctor ,damn it...

I think there is a disease for each kind of behavior . If you're too happy,too sad,too energetic,too thoughtfull... It's all crap
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by mel2208 View Post
    Hi everyone..

My best friend has just been diagnosed with bipolar this week.. We thought she had it for a while now.. I just wondered if anyone else has this and how do you deal with it? my friend is very stressed about it has she doesnt know anyone else who has it... what were your indications that you had it? would appreciate any feedback on this... thankyou
    I've been diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar -- basically my moods fluctuate daily or every few days. Yes, there is a lot of stigma associated with the disorder varying from people wanting to distance themselves from you to those who believe you're 'faking it.'

Bipolar Disorder is caused by a combination of physical (genetic) influences and environmental factors, so it is treated in two ways as well. The medications are used to modify the amount of neurotransmitters in the brain so the mood swings can be reduced in frequency and severity. Then cognitive therapy is implemented to teach better coping skills.

The indications that I had it were extreme shifts from depression to mania (happiness, grandiosity, or even anger) seemingly without provocation. When I was depressed, it took all my effort to get out of bed... all my energy to talk myself out of wanting to kill myself because I just couldn't handle the blackness of life. A few hours later or maybe even a few days later I was happy, energized... heavily goal-oriented. I was full of ideas, ready to take on the world... so much so I could stay up for days without needing sleep, until I finally crashed and was depressed again. There is another sign that goes along with mania -- racing thoughts. Incoherent thoughts that rush at you without warning and tend to overwhelm you. It can be scary or mostly frustrating.

Your friend can go to: [url]www.facingus.org[/url] for a mood chart to help keep up with their moods and symptoms (useful for their doctor to review over).

They need to get pill boxes (one for day and on for night if necessary) so there's no mix up with medications -- the hardest thing for someone bipolar is to take medications on time.

Get an organizer -- write everything important down. Less stress that way, believe me.

Go to: [url]www.dbsalliance.og[/url] for support groups and information for bipolar disorder. I think they may even have a chatroom.

Be supportive of your friend... remember they just have a mood disorder... their mind still works, and with help their moods can be better managed.

Hope this helps.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by mel2208 View Post
    I totally agree on how quick they do diagnose Biploar..the same goes for depression... for example a work colleagues husband has been having panic attacks just of recent..what does the doc prescribe??? anti depressants!! he dont even feel depressed.... These anti depressants are handed out way too much for different things and they are very addictive!!
    Anti-depressants have been very successful with treating panic disorders. One of my medications is an anti-depressant and it has helped tremendously with reducing (or outright removing in most cases) the generalized anxiety I'd feel.

Are these medications required for everyone - no. However, for those who genuinely have a problem they are very beneficial.

I do agree that anti-depressants are handed out too easily... but then again, it's rather easy to lie to a doctor. They are taking your word every time you talk to them.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Here's a solution.

If the doctor didn't diagnose it, she wouldn't have it!
    Here's a reality:

If the doctor didn't diagnose it, I'd be another suicide statistic.

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Here's a reality:

Good thing that doctor diagnosed it

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Here's a reality:

If I lived in Dallas, I'd want to commit suicide, too.

If I lived in Dallas, I'd want to commit suicide, too.
    I really need to update that... I don't live in Dallas anymore.

- James Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12