+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPARTACUS: at last something for us women

Dewilliams I undrstand your feelings but you should take comfort in the fact that many new cover versions revive an interest in old master pieces.

I know for a fact that many young people have been watching Spartacus with Kirk Douglas because of the Sand and Blood version.
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    Dewilliams I undrstand your feelings but you should take comfort in the fact that many new cover versions revive an interest in old master pieces.

I know for a fact that many young people have been watching Spartacus with Kirk Douglas because of the Sand and Blood version.
    That is true...even though the original with Douglas has holes in it as well it is a classic part of film history....I guess that does make me feel a little better that perhaps they are learning something about American culture through the classic film making.

...I still can't get past 300 though...I will not forgive that abomination...that is the worst movie I have ever seen...I don't care if they were basing it off a comic book...not a "graphic novel"...they are comic books nerds...and if the comic book was like that then it was jacked to.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    That is true...even though the original with Douglas has holes in it as well it is a classic part of film history....I guess that does make me feel a little better that perhaps they are learning something about American culture through the classic film making.

...I still can't get past 300 though...I will not forgive that abomination...that is the worst movie I have ever seen...I don't care if they were basing it off a comic book...not a "graphic novel"...they are comic books nerds...and if the comic book was like that then it was jacked to.
    Umm.. American culture through a tv show that is about Ancient Rome?

Yeah, 300 sucked ass, I don't think anyone liked it except females and homosexual males for the half naked guys, and certain line in that movie...

I think Dewilliams was more talking learning about American culture through classics such as that movie with K Douglas.
    It's really a classic in American movies...although it's on Roman history...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Yea I did mean learn about American culture through film making...I mean a movie is a piece of art to me just as much as a score of music or a painting so to learn about a movie made in America then in my opinion you are learning about a piece of American art....hence American culture.

My biggest problem with 300 was they way they fought...the reason the Greeks held for as long as they did was because they fought in phalanx formation...in the movie they didn't and they drew swords almost immediately...the Greeks would have only broke formation and went to swords as a last resort because they were overwhelmed....that would have made sense on the last day.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

In defense of 300... I don't think it was meant to portray accuracy at all... but to be a representation of the story brought back to encourage the Spartans to fight. More or less an embellished war story.

I have studied a little bit on the "real 300" and realize its significance at the time.. and how it's like day and night between the actual event and the movie.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Well I mean they even missed the point of the war...they just acted like the Persians were this conquering force that fought for no reason other than to expand their boundaries...which to a point was true but there was no mention of the Ionian Wars and the fact that the Greeks had assisted colonies in Ionia (Asia Minor) at the edges of the Persian Empire to fight against the Persians....in reality the Greeks started the war.

It was just an awful interpretation of history all around...worst I have ever seen.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Well I mean they even missed the point of the war...they just acted like the Persians were this conquering force that fought for no reason other than to expand their boundaries...which to a point was true but there was no mention of the Ionian Wars and the fact that the Greeks had assisted colonies in Ionia (Asia Minor) at the edges of the Persian Empire to fight against the Persians....in reality the Greeks started the war.

It was just an awful interpretation of history all around...worst I have ever seen.
    I think it would be awesome to have superproductions telling the true story, but don't you think only a small fraction of the general public would really appreciate it?

No...I think reality can be portrayed in an 'epic' manner...its the emotions, relationships, and visual experiences that make movies great...without those things you just have a series of random events recorded.

I mean I'm not going to get upset about them fabricating relationships and emotions between characters to add to the story...but at least keep things as close to accurate in terms of their weaponry and armor and their strategy...I mean the phalanx formation and their superior armor truly was the reason they could hold against superior numbers for so long and ultimately pushed the Persians back out of Greece.

The phalanx was the tank of the era until the Roman legion came to be.

Also they showed the naval battle but they didn't explain the importance of it or point out that once again the Greeks were outnumbered but that they had the better strategy and veteran navy that did not get caught in the storm that sunk many of the Persian ships.

I mean they just made it look like a few Spartans kicked the ass of an entire Persian army that was blown way out of proportion in terms of numbers.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

I do want to see an accurate movie/tv show of Ancient History, it's something I've always liked and read about, so if you can ever find something accurate, share it

Like I said the HBO series Rome seasons 1 and 2 were very accurate...real people...I mean their personalities have been fabricated to a certain point but they did a very accurate job showing Roman culture and retelling Roman history at the end of the Republic and beginning of Caesars Empire.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

Like I said the HBO series Rome seasons 1 and 2 were very accurate...real people...I mean their personalities have been fabricated to a certain point but they did a very accurate job showing Roman culture and retelling Roman history at the end of the Republic and beginning of Caesars Empire.
    I already saw them... the cookie monster needs more cookies.

Thats all I've seen taht was worth anything...he is the veggie monster now...he can't get enough veggies...I guess there were to many fat kids on Sesame Street.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

..he is the veggie monster now...he can't get enough veggies...I guess there were to many fat kids on Sesame Street.
    Haha true, I heard that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12