+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I lost my virginity

I'm 20....I know, late bloomer...I thought about going to the doctor, just in case...or maybe do some blood tests

tremolo Guest
    Callalilly, you'll want to wait at least 2 weeks before going for an STI checkup. Have the blood test done for a syphilis check, but you'll need to repeat the HIV test in 3 (and probably again in 6) months time, since the antibodies won't show until then.

Don't let this scare you... you're probably fine, but it's good to be safe about these things. And I'm sorry that all of this happened. Try not to feel too badly about it, and look forward to the next time you have sex, which will be a much better experience for you. As Smackie said, we have all done regrettable things under the influence of alcohol...

I don't think an HIV test is necessary, I mean, I've known him for over a year and...I don't think I should worry about that...I've never even thought of HIV until I read your post...

I talked to him...he called several times...was very casual...

Its nice that he called He seems like a good friend

I don't know..it just feels weird to talk to him or see him...I don't know why I'm making such a big fuss about it...I guess I'll see him tomorrow, can keep avoiding him forever, right?

Keep us posted, OK?

ok...thanks

You'll probably feel less weird about it after you guys have talked about what happened. Just don't be awkward or clingy when it does come up

Def. get a pap done in a couple weeks, the diseases you really need to worry about are the bacterial infections that will make you sterile if left untreated, herpes and HPV, both of which greatly increase your risk of cervical cancer. Of course aids is a worry too, but honestly its no where near as prominent as the other ones. Not saying its not a risk too, but its just not as common.

the complications that sex brings into your life...

Quote Originally Posted by Callalily View Post
    the complications that sex brings into your life...
    Sex is not a complication, you just have to be cautious of with who you sleep with. Don't let these posts about diseases scare you, they are just trying to make you more aware. Usually it's best to be monogamous with a partner so diseases don't spread and if you sleep around casually make sure you use condoms. Sex can be amazing and its a great way to open up a new side of people! Not everything is disease, messing up friendships and worry.

tremolo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by upandaway View Post
    Def. get a pap done in a couple weeks, the diseases you really need to worry about are the bacterial infections that will make you sterile if left untreated, herpes and HPV, both of which greatly increase your risk of cervical cancer. Of course aids is a worry too, but honestly its no where near as prominent as the other ones. Not saying its not a risk too, but its just not as common.
    I don't know that a pap is going to be useful immediately. There's no diagnostic test for HPV unless you have warts or, with some high risk strains, changes to the skin. But I would definitely get a full STI panel done - including HIV. Like I said, it's rare, and I doubt you have to worry, but even if you think you know this guy, you don't know who he's been with, or who his previous partners have been with. All it takes is one person, and it's better to know and have peace of mind than not to know, and create more problems. I'm not saying you should worry about this, but I definitely think you should get the test done.

I know he's been with a fair number of girls ...so...I don't wanna take any more chances...how long exactly do I have to wait before going to the doctor?

tremolo Guest
    Wait 2 weeks from the time you had unprotected sex to have your STI panel (gonorrhea, chlamydia, trich, syphilis, etc.). Then, in 3 months, get another blood test for HIV. Then, because you had unprotected sex, I would recommend repeating that HIV test in another 3 months (6 months from the time you had sex). Usually, HIV antibodies will show within 3 months, but it can take up to 6.

You will probably want to call today and schedule the appt. since gum units can often be booked up in advance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast