+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Business and Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    Community college is more legit than university. Same education without being 100k in debt for a fancy paper and a sense of entitlement.
    Such a bitter little bean.

*not said with malice* Have you ever thought about getting de-programmed? I don't know who brain-washed you as a child but they did a great job at re-inforcing your glass is half empty philosophy.

You mean the world that did all that? It wasn't just one person, as far as I know.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    I think most those politicians, celebrities etc are narcissists. I think cheating occurs a lot more amongst those who have money, status and power than it does when you come back down to planet earth and look at real people.

They also marry just to appear "normal" and they want a trophy wife that makes them look good to the rest of the world. That is why they cant keep it in their pants coz the wife is just another tick on the to do list. They think if they shower her with gifts to shut her up-their job as a husband is done..

I don't trust the government in general-whether they cheat or not is irrelevant. They are all power hungry cunts who make all these empty false promises just to get elected. Ruthless bastards. Why should being married make them any different?

A large % of people in power are dictators. There is a reason why they choose that career in the first place and therefore cant be trusted. Yes there are the rare few who want power for the right reasons but they are few and far between.
    I felt the steaming hot hatred just oozing off of this one. hahaha I applaud you, Michelle. xD At the same time, everyone that posted their opinion on the topic have valid points. I agree with your distrust of the government, as ours is too jumbled up with a split Congress to actually get anything done. And it seems we're lacking strong foreign policy. The last election was just terrible... Not to mention, it seems a lot of our politicians are taking advantage of their held office. I hope things aren't that bad in your country, though. Anyway, back to the topic... lol

While I can see the point that it reflects on their vows and morals, but I still believe that there's a difference between personal vows and political vows. With political ones, there are sometimes criminal consequences. Think about Watergate and how Nixon's "must win" mentality caused such a huge scandal when he tried covering it up. Yes, they don't have to commit a crime- just lie to the people- but I still take it as a job. And if you lie at your job continuously, the employers (the American people) can terminate their employment in that position of power. Personal vows may be broken with lies, but there are not many actual documents that can serve as consequences. Personal is personal. Business is business. Yes, the spouse can always leave, but I think it's different from work.

Nevertheless, I can see the points that everyone's trying to make. In response to what Wakeup wrote, I believe people really do care, honestly. Think about all of the attack ads that get launched during elections. While some people can laugh it off, especially if it came from Fox News, it does work on others. Everything around us affects how we think and feel and react, after all. So, my answer is, yes, I think they do, even if the idea of them having an affair just makes them a joke to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    Poor guy goes to a community college.
    Well, thank you for this addition to our discussion.

In regards to your comment, however, I don't believe you're properly informed about what the duel enrollment program is. So, I'll be happy to fill in the blanks for your closed mind.

You see, the duel enrollment program is something offered by a large number of high schools across the country. (Yes, I'm a senior in high school, if you haven't put that together by now.) The program allows select students who apply with at least a 2.5 GPA (or in my school, 3.0) to schedule their classes with a large, open time slot. This slot accounts for where the college class takes place, as scheduling is done around said class. During that time slot, students are allowed to sign themselves out and leave the school grounds to go to a local college to take a course. In some schools, such as mine, there is a choice between as many as three colleges as to where the student would like to go. Students may take as many classes as they would like, but the standard is one.

Now, I, myself, only have time to take one course due to my work schedule. But if I could take more, I certainly would. They account for college credits that are transferable almost anywhere, so I'm already two courses ahead in my desired major so far. In addition to the 4 AP courses that I've taken and tested in throughout my high school career, I'll certainly be saving myself money in college by going through this program.

My community college itself is rated the top educational institution in the valley. Yes, it out-ranked a high class private school that costs thirty thousand in tuition... But if you don't believe me, I'm sure I could dig up the information in either our extensive databases and library archives or perhaps the databases and archives from the private school if you think they're fixed?

So, in short, your argument- well, let's be honest...That was an assumption- that community college is a step away from white trash compared to universities is invalid.

Have a wonderful evening.

I don't see your point. I mean, you cannot separe bussiness from sex when you are talking about politicians or other people who must to care about their public image. A politician has a public image, and care about it is a part of his job. I understand they have to have sex and cheat and all this stuff, like any other bro beneath the sun, but they are receiving a lot of money doing their job. So, they have to care about anyone could find out their personal life if it's not appropiate for a public character. I'm from Spain, and we have this point of view, but my country is a pure shit, there are plenty of corruption. For example, we have a king, a pathetic man who is our king, unbeliavable, right? Like on Game of Thrones. Well, so the son-in-law of our king, an asshole called Iņaki Urdangarin, has stolen more tan 16 milion of euros from the public money. And you must be asking yourselves right now: and why the hell this cunt is not in prison? You know? Me neither. My conclusion is that your country, USA, at least is a serious country. I would be proud of being American.
    "Hope is based on what we unknow, what is everything. Hopelessness is based on what we know, what is anything."

Please, I hope you excuse my mistakes. Don't forget I'm only an intermediate student of your language. But, in order to improve, I'm trainning hard!

I would say that the USA is destroying themselves, though. We don't seem to be able to get anything done because our public keeps voting in a split Congress. I'm not sure if your classes in Spain ever covered exactly how Congress works (I know in some European countries, they learn about American history.), but it's broken into two houses. For things to pass through, there needs to be at least a 2/3 majority vote. Since there's such a mixture of political parties, Congress is in stalemate with itself. They can't even pass a budget, so how can we ever expect to start fixing our massive amounts of debt? We're $14 trillion in the hole...

Anyway, back to the main topic, why do we care about public character, then? If they're human as you've already claimed, then shouldn't we say it's not that big of a deal?

In my opinion, public image is nothing if it's a lie. And if everyone is human with flaws, why do we care so much about public image?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/4609/presidentialjobapprovalbillclintonshighratingsmids t.aspx

Apparently, Clinton's approval ratings went UP after the cheating scandal.

"In spite of the scandal, there were, in 1998, many reasons to predict that Clinton's job approval rating would be high. The Lewinsky revelations and the impeachment process occurred during a time period in which the American public was unusually positive in its ratings of the economy and of its overall satisfaction with the way things were going in the country:

Americans registered high levels of satisfaction in 1998 with the way things were going in the country (although not as high as immediately after the Gulf War, and about as high as measured during the "Morning in America" years after the '84 Reagan election).
    Ratings of Bill Clinton's handling of the economy shot up to as high as 81% during this time period.
    The basic ratings of the economic conditions in this country were high throughout this period.
    Personal financial wellbeing measures were at one point as high as they have been in Gallup's history of measuring them, with 7 out of 10 polled in March 1998 saying they anticipated being better off over the next year.
    A substantial percentage of Americans (71% in one January 1999 poll) said that this was the best economy of their lifetime.
    "

WOW. I've always associated 'Murricans with bandwagoning (in sports, politics, music, etc.) Evidently, what doesn't really matter is personal problems IF the economy is greater.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    You see, the duel enrollment program is something offered by a large number of high schools across the country. (Yes, I'm a senior in high school, if you haven't put that together by now.) The program allows select students who apply with at least a 2.5 GPA (or in my school, 3.0) to schedule their classes with a large, open time slot. This slot accounts for where the college class takes place, as scheduling is done around said class. During that time slot, students are allowed to sign themselves out and leave the school grounds to go to a local college to take a course. In some schools, such as mine, there is a choice between as many as three colleges as to where the student would like to go. Students may take as many classes as they would like, but the standard is one.

My community college itself is rated the top educational institution in the valley. Yes, it out-ranked a high class private school that costs thirty thousand in tuition... But if you don't believe me, I'm sure I could dig up the information in either our extensive databases and library archives or perhaps the databases and archives from the private school if you think they're fixed?
    Wow. lol. I don't believe you are actually proud of that.

...Jesus, after all this time I thought fearoflove was cool..turns out she's an elitist bitch..

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    Wow. lol. I don't believe you are actually proud of that.
    Once again, you missed the underlying tone of my entire rant there. I would have thought my sarcasm was apparent enough. But my main point is that just because my upbringings and education is different from yours, it doesn't mean you're any better. So, why don't you use that high powered magnifying glass on yourself next time?

I am from Ireland. I am not aware of any cheating scandals amongst our government but then again I don't watch the news as I think its just depressing. Since the recession here-our government are robbing us blind in taxes. They are not taking much from people who have hundreds of thousands-they are taking it from the lower income families, cutting social welfare payments, child benefit payments, disability allowances etc.

The people who were always struggling are struggling much more now and the people who always had too much money still have too much money. It doesn't make any sense. People are losing their homes, cant feed their kids etc. The middle class have become the lower class. People who have worked hard all their lives just to get by are suicidal because of the financial situation and those bastards in power are still driving their fancy cars, have minders, earning well over 100k and then when they finally retire after ****ing up the whole country-they'll get a comfy pension package that will see them well into old age.

I normally don't discuss this whole topic as its just depressing. Its all people talk about these days and I usually just ignore all their bitching and moaning coz you just get fed up hearing about it. Also it is out of our control-we cant do anything about it so why bother complaining constantly. I just try to get on with it-do my job everyday, pay my bills and hope to find a better paying job soon as more and more money is taken outa my pay check each month in more taxes. 7

As for cheating: Anyone who is capable of doing that to someone is untrustworthy. If you can treat someone that your supposed to love and respect that way-then Id hate to think what you would do to someone you hate.

And fearoflove: your snobbish ways of viewing education are laughable really. You remind me of my old career guidance counselor who was always stuck up her own arse. If we told her wed like to go to an IT college instead of a University-you could see her just looking down her snotty nose at us. Anyway she was really bad at her job. She never gave us any good advice based on what we wanted because her opinion took over each time and shed constantly just talk about the uni she went to as if that made her special. She also had a really annoying habit of pronouncing every single word thoroughly especially the s's and t's and really pissed me off.

Wow, that sounds absolutely terrible, Michelle. It appears not many countries have decent politics anymore. But I'd like to highlight your mentality because that's really all you can do. You have to work with what you have, like you stated, and just wait for change to occur if you can't make change happen yourself. :S Talk is nothing, after all, if action isn't taken.

I can again see your point about cheating. It would make sense that potential like that would be amplified by hatred. Either way, though, maybe part of our problems are putting politicians in office who don't do their job to begin with, and the cheating is the icing on the cake? Maybe it depends on if they're doing their job whether the cheating is acceptable or not?

I'm on the fence about this, but I can at least view both the points of each side. But personal morals are definitely a product of any job you do, I would say.

And fearoflove: your snobbish ways of viewing education are laughable really.
    In my unbiased eyes, her snobby views on education are no worse then what LovesReject's views on education are. Only difference is she puts down community college and LR puts down University. 6 of one, half a dozen of another. Just thought I'd give 'credit' where 'credit' is due.

I didn't discredit universities; I'm just saying they are massively overrated and only for elitists that want to participate in hazing rituals like huffing, being fingered while being held and having hamsters shoved up their anuses. The education at universities can largely be had for dramatically lesser cost at community colleges; the only difference is the school name on paper, the sense of entitlement and being able to look down on the "peasants" who attend community colleges (never minding the fact that a lot of university kids get anally raped by loans since they couldn't afford it to begin with or are having their way paid by mummy and dah-ddy) and the quality of parties: the drugs, sex and alcohol is way better in university. Hello, what do you think Animal House was based on? Pretty much a documentary!

When you stop believing your own rhetoric, you'll be a much happier man.

The education at universities can largely be had for dramatically lesser cost at community colleges;
    That's about the only thing you kept real in your most recent rhetoric above. But only if you want to go into one of the trades.

Its a given that university isn't for everyone which of course does not mean anything near how you describe it.

Universities are mostly where football jocks get free rides to rape drunk girls. The rest of it is pretension upon pretension and condescending attitudes to those who don't choose to get financially manhandled for a shiny piece of paper.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast