+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caught him on craiglist . Need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    i doubt hes gonna take her to court. hes the one that messed up so he should leave. they dont own the house and he can take whatever belongs to him with him.

i know its different in europr to america. people there seem to sue over the smallest things or get the courts/police involved over the smallest things. it doesnt work that way here. here he would just be thrown out and expected to go quietly and thats all he deserves
    Well that depends on weather he can prove this residency. IF he can, depending on who is the owner of property would need to go to a local court and file 'motion to evict'. Then he needs to be served with a 'notice for eviction'. Then he'd have ~90 days to leave, depending on local and state laws. IF he gets thrown out, all needs is a drivers license with that address on it, and the police will let him back into the property. After the 90 days expires, she can call the police, the cops will come and if his still there he will be charged with contempt of court.
    Last edited by Eng.Jackadmans; 04-06-13 at 11:41 PM.

i doubt hes gonna take her to court. hes the one that messed up so he should leave. they dont own the house and he can take whatever belongs to him with him.

i know its different in europr to america. people there seem to sue over the smallest things or get the courts/police involved over the smallest things. it doesnt work that way here. here he would just be thrown out and expected to go quietly and thats all he deserves
    Did I miss where it says they don't own the house? Michelle: I truly hope you are never in a situation where you have to breakup with your boyfriend and he refuses to leave because you say he should. Whatever will you do. "He should leave because he's the one that "messed up" can mean sweet eff all when two people fall out.

Here you go with the "it doesn't work that way here" You only have knowledge of your own little circle. You have no idea who is kicking who out and who is refusing to leave a family home and the courts have to get involved to force a sale etc.

OP: All this speculation isn't helping you any so I'll wait to debate this further after you've explained your situation a little further. In the meantime, if you really are going to break up with him then I suggest you get your ducks in a row and start looking for a place you can afford alone, even if it's with a family member or that of a friend until you get established. If you're the one breaking up with him and you don't own property together or are obligated to pay rent by being on a lease then I suggest you take the initiative and you leave. That way you are in control of yourself instead of trying to control him.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 04-06-13 at 11:47 PM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

under law yes you are prob correct but most wouldnt get the law involved.

if me and my bf split up-id stay here and get a room mate. hed go home to his mum and still pay rent here until i got a roomate. we have a dog and she would stay with me. there would be no courts, fighting, police etc etc

if we owned a house together-it would be sold and split two ways or one would buy the other out

gawd im glad i live in europe lol

OP all the nitty gritty details dont matter right now. are you split up or still together? make that decision now and worry bout the rest later
    I don't recommend this. You need a place to live and if applicable, property to take with you. Get that worked out asap and then get the hell out of there. Know what you're doing and where you are going and make sure you're keeping his and your rights in mind while doing it. You live together and the rules of common law are very similar to actually being married here in Canada.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

if me and my bf split up-id stay here and get a room mate. hed go home to his mum and still pay rent here until i got a roomate. we have a dog and she would stay with me. there would be no courts, fighting, police etc etc

if we owned a house together-it would be sold and split two ways or one would buy the other out
    Why would he pay for rent while he lives with his mum?

it really would be that simple. my dog hates other dogs so i couldnt move in with family with her. (they all have dogs) shed have to stay here with me and hed have to leave.

plus we are both reasonble people and would not be cruel or nasty to each other.

if he did kick up a fuss though and refused to go-i would go and take her with me

You hope. What will you do if he says "I'm not going anywhere, this is my home." There are many men and women who change a whole hell of a lot when/if the love fades. That's when the courts have to get involved in order to force one or the other to sell. And don't say "he wouldn't do that" because you don't know what he'd do until/if the time arrives. We all like to think that a split would be amicable but they're not always even when the two involved were always the most put together.

if he did kick up a fuss though and refused to go-i would go and take her with me
    Even if he was the one the "messed up?"

as we committed to renting this place together. he wouldnt leave me in debt here. hed pay his half if it took me a month or two to find a flatmate. id do the same vice versa. as i said we are reasonable nice people

as i said already IF he did kick up a fuss-i would go to avoid drama. but i dont think it would come to that.
    Last edited by michelle23; 04-06-13 at 11:56 PM.

as we committed to renting this place together. he wouldnt leave me in debt here. hed pay his half if it took me a month or two to find a flatmate. id do the same vice versa. as i said we are reasonable nice people
    Like I said, you cannot predict how it would go down until it goes down. It's nice to think that it would be that easy though.

Even if he was the one the "messed up?" You told Op her bf should leave because he's the one that messed up.

yes even if it was his fault. why would i fight for a rented house? why would anyone?

Just asking because that's what you told the opening poster... that he should leave because he messed up. Why would anyone... indeed.

i am confident that if we split up now-the last thing wed fight over is the stupid house. i know people can be v petty and make an already complicated situation worse but thats not me. id go in peace and keep my dignity if nothing else and i think he would too. i cant imagine us ever being so cruel, nasty and petty towards each other even if we split under the worst of circumstances

Just asking because that's what you told the opening poster... that he should leave because he messed up. Why would anyone... indeed. Well, except that he could go after her for her half of the rent (if she's on the lease) if he was a revengeful prick.

i cant imagine us ever being so cruel, nasty and petty towards each other even if we split under the worst of circumstances
    Yea... that's what my brother and sister-in-law said too. What a mess that split was. My girlfriend ended up walking away from everything including her half of the house because her husband (the most devoted guy to her while they still were emotionally connect) turned into a vindicitive animal fighting for every spoon, fork and knife. You never know for sure darl'n.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 05-06-13 at 12:05 AM.

but i do think shed be well within her rights to kick him out if the house is rented and he already said he understands if she doesnt want him anymore. he may fight for her but not over the house by the sounds of it

sorry for derailing your thread OP. ill shut up now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast