Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
searock I have paid rent to my parents from the age of 21 when I started earning a full time wage. My bf had been paying his way at home also since the age of 17 as he left school and started working. many parents expect rent and we had no problem paying up. We were both paying 50 a week. and all our clothes were washed, dinners cooked etc.. we both obviously helped clean up at home as well and babysat siblings.

I think if your earning-you should contribute. It was different when I was in college. I was only earning 50-150 a week (hours changed regularly) and I had to get petrol/lunch etc myself so parents didn't expect anything then as I was struggling to even put petrol in my car.
I thought OP was still in school? She talked about exams and training. If she is working and studying, I don't think she's making enough money to support herself. If she is, then I guess it's normal she would want to pay rent (although the idea of parents actually expecting her to pay rent sounds quite improbable to me - cultural differences I guess), in order to feel more independent. I agree that she should contribute somehow (e.g. buying groceries, useful things for the house and so on), it's just the rent thing that sounds so cold and impersonal between parents and their children.