+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 25yo with first girlfriend - dilemma

25yo with first girlfriend - dilemma

So, here's the story. I am 25 and have never had an actual girlfriend. One thing to know about me is that I am socially kind of awkward. Yes, I have friends, and yes, I know how to behave in regular social situations. But I've always been terrible with girls. The few I have dated or seen regularly over the years never worked out, mostly because of my lack of experience and confidence at the dating game. Being afraid of acting on obvious signals of the girl, or waiting for the 'perfect' moment to make my move (which invariably turns out to be the worst moment possible), etc.

Anyway, this has recently changed. I noticed some signs from a girl, decided to forfeit caution. I asked her out, and kissed her as soon as she stopped talking during the date. So far so good. But there's a few snags here. Firstly, I get the vibe from her that she's really in love with me already. While I'm enjoying the moment, she starts talking about events in the future, etc. Also, she's only recently turned 19.

I like her, but I'm not in love. It feels wrong to take advantage of her, but on the other hand I don't want to end it either since it could take a long time to find someone else. The main issue here is the age difference, I feel. What problems could this entail in the future? I've known her and her parents for a long time (5y+), and we're both in the same social circle which neither of us can/want to detract from. Seems like I put myself in quite a tangle here...

Take this chance to get some experience. I don't mean jump her bones necessarily, but keep seeing her as long as you're enjoying her company. Maybe drop a minor hint that you like her, but don't say anything more serious than that unless you feel it. Use protection and don't let anyone pressure you into marrying her. She's still young, she will probably change in the coming months and years anyway, so it's too early to worry about a life-long commitment. And don't feel too self-conscious about the age difference, many people are familiar with the Half Your Age Plus Seven guideline.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Is she a practice dummy or could you develop deeper feelings for her as time progressed?

If you like her, go with the flow and see.

Just be honest with her about your feelings for her.

Don't tell her that you love her unless you do.

I second that. Let her know you like her and keep it at that. Girls in this age range can fall deeply into infatuation and tend to throw caution in the wind so be careful. It could turn ugly.

If you think she's head over heels now, I don't think you have seen much yet if it continues at it's pace it's at.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I like her and I have told her this. It might even develop into more, as I seem to miss her when she's not around. Although this is quite possibly purely physical, i don't know.

@Vincenzo: . She may have jumped my bones already... Marriage is a bit far-fetched imo, few people get married these days here.

@Doc & cmac: I would never tell her I loved her if I didn't mean it. It's a bit too early for that anyway.