+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Career advice needed please

I think I would gain more experience in the office place. The money is the same so if I am offered it, I think I will take it. I will keep you updated. Thanks for all your help guys
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Well done!
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I think you should stick with McDonalds. You didnt liked gold shop but money was stable there. Same story with McDonalds and probably with your office work. In the end you have to stick with one place to advance and get promotions. Changing jobs every few months will take you nowhere. I know from my expierience. Just pick up one job and stick with it, dig deep and attend courses, up your qualifications and get promoted. If you want to to fill big shoes you will need big feet. But Star have the best advice so far - you could be dancer, she will teach you to twerk Michelle !
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Go abroad? I really don't understand people like you. In my opinion if the labor market around you is exhausted go and find a new one. My fiance is a lawyer in trade marks. Really small market, especially in France, where like 60% of law students are jobless the first 2 years or something. So he left to work in Spain, as he got an opportunity after searching for a job for a year I think. Now he earns much better, even than some of his attorney friends, but this has price of being pretty much alone (I cannot be always there, need to finish my studies, and I study in Germany).
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    Go abroad? I really don't understand people like you.

[...] but this has price of being pretty much alone.
    So you do kind of understand one possible reason to not want to leave.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sometimes the presence of your family/friends cannot feed you, you know? I do know what it means, my mother had to leave to work abroad when I was a kid. Saw her like twice per year. But there was no other way.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, Europe is so small. To go from one end to another it takes you tops 3 hrs by plane. I know, because I travel at least once per 2-3 weeks. Going from Germany to Spain to Poland, to England, to France is like going from one city to another. I don't even consider it being far.
    I wazzzz here

I am settled here, I have great family, friends, stable relationship, a house and a dog. Leaving is not an option for me right now. I have considered it 100 times but I would probably end up even worse off in a different country.

PC: I liked the gold place for the first 2 and a half years. I was unhappy the last 6months but I really hate Mcdonalds
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

A lot of people would not leave family and friends behind unless there really was no other option. Michelle's situation isn't good, but it's not hopeless either. She has a job and a job interview coming up, she is planning to go back to college next fall. She'd rather stay in her country close to the ones she loves even if it means struggling job-wise for some time, than move abroad in hopes of *maybe* finding a better job. Doesn't seem weird to me at all. Not everyone enjoys traveling 6+ hours by plane every month to see loved ones - unless it's absolutely necessary of course.
    Last edited by searock; 01-05-14 at 03:11 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just said that in Europe even if you travel from one end to other is tops 3 hrs by plane. Mostly it's just 2 hrs, which is nothing. I do find it ridiculous, because people are closed minded about other countries. We are not as different as you think. What's more, I think such experience can give you many advantages, even if you leave just for some time.
    Yeah her sistuation is not hopeless, but she's a Human Resource Manager working in Mc Donalds selling french fries... I think it's sad, and it's a sign that the market is too small there. I don't imagine myself working at a fast food chain after finishing my studies. I would feel like I just wasted 5 years of my life.
    I wazzzz here

Sure some people are close minded about other countries and traveling/living abroad is in many cases a valuable life experience no matter what, but just because someone prefers to stay in their own country unless they have no other option doesn't mean that they are close minded about it. It might simply mean that they have considered the possibility but still choose to stay close to loved ones even if it means having a crappier job than a potential better job abroad. Also, not everybody lives in towns with airports. Two hours by plane can easily become a lot more hours if you considers this.

I think it's a matter of personal preference, rather than an indicator of closemindedness.
    Last edited by searock; 01-05-14 at 04:11 PM.

Whenever PP gets into an argument with another girl, it very quickly becomes the greatest thing ever.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Sure some people are close minded about other countries and traveling/living abroad is in many cases a valuable life experience no matter what, but just because someone prefers to stay in their own country unless they have no other option doesn't mean that they are close minded about it. It might simply mean that they have considered the possibility but still choose to stay close to loved ones even if it means having a crappier job than a potential better job abroad. Also, not everybody lives in towns with airports. Two hours by plane can easily become a lot more hours if you considers this.

I think it's a matter of personal preference, rather than an indicator of closemindedness.
    Yeah so hmm... I don't understand those "personal preferences". Family will always be your family, you will always keep in touch. And friends? You might have many of them, but once you go abroad then you realize how few of them are real friends. So wanting to stay for friends is even more difficult to understand for me, because you can make friends everywhere. I know because I experienced it already, and everybody I know who left abroad has experienced it too.
    So what I don't understand is the choice of being insecure about tomorrow, the financial situation, the choice of somewhat degrading yourself, doing something you don't want to do. And as I say. Moving abroad was probably the best decision I did make, and I was only 18 years old. I also had a bunch of friends and first I went somewhere, where I knew nobody at all. I had ups and downs, but at 24, or almost 25 I can say I know much more than what I would know if I stayed home.
    I also choose the best conditions for me. There are few countries in Europe that have pretty interesting economic situation, are stable and provide you with many things. Nevertheless, if she doesn't want to go very far, she could just go to England, which is like what? 30 minutes by plane ? I am sure you can even go there by car in few hours (my sister travels from London to northern Germany by car in like 8 hours - and she has to pass the tunnel). England gives so many opportunities! I myself am going to look for an internship in London for next year and I think it's great. It also looks good on the cv afterwards.

So no, I don't understand this whole situation. Especially because I come from a country, where so many people have higher degree, but can't find a job, so they either do nothing, or they work at fast food chains or in the factory or whatever. I know that Ireland is facing quite big struggles at moment. Until recently, they didn't have to move far to get a decent, well paid job. But times are changing, and we all are in European Union, and one of the reasons why "we" decided to become a union was a better allocation of resources -> the employees for example.
    But fine, if it's somebody's choice, it's fine with me, it's not my life. I just don't understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    Whenever PP gets into an argument with another girl, it very quickly becomes the greatest thing ever.
    huehue molto funny Nick!
    I wazzzz here

I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be close-mindedness. It can be a well thought out decision and choice. What worked/works for you doesn't have to work for everyone. You are used to having a divided family since you were a kid, so that's why it seems so absurd to you that someone would willingly choose to stay in a shitty job over moving abroad, but that's just not how it is for a lot of people. Just because someone chooses to stay doesn't mean that they don't agree with all the points you make.
    Last edited by searock; 02-05-14 at 12:17 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be close-mindedness. It can be a well thought out decision and choice. What worked/works for you doesn't have to work for everyone. You are used to having a divided family since you were a kid, so that's why it seems so absurd to you that someone would willingly choose to stay in a shitty job over moving abroad, but that's just not how it is for a lot of people. Just because someone chooses to stay doesn't mean that they don't agree with all the points you make.
    Yeah, but she should stop crying over this shitty situation. Ireland is one of 4 or 5 EU countries that got hit with the crisis the most. No wonder there are no miracles right now and none should be expected.
    My fiance and I know that this is just a temporary situation, and it's for the better. So once we will have children, we will be able to help them become whatever they want to become. Besides we have pretty decent life now, that many people would like to have. And for sure, once I finish my studies, it will be even better. I say again, Europe is small. It's almost like you would move just to another city.
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    Yeah, but she should stop crying over this shitty situation. Ireland is one of 4 or 5 EU countries that got hit with the crisis the most. No wonder there are no miracles right now and none should be expected.
    My fiance and I know that this is just a temporary situation, and it's for the better. So once we will have children, we will be able to help them become whatever they want to become. Besides we have pretty decent life now, that many people would like to have. And for sure, once I finish my studies, it will be even better. I say again, Europe is small. It's almost like you would move just to another city.
    Moving to another country is not for everybody. It's a matter of preference and priorities. Her priority is to stay with her BF and stay close to family and friends.... And there's nothing wrong with venting out frustrations. It's a healthy way to cope instead of keeping it inside her chest. She is also asking for suggestions on how to approach her dilemma of staying with her current job or move to another.

So you can quit forcing your way of doing things. What worked for you may not work for everybody.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast