+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A New Career

i think it is every parent's responsibility to pay for college if they can, but it doesn't have to be Ivy League, and they certainly should be expected to get good grades else the privilege be revoked. Part time employment is also good for college students, and of course, having kids WANT a few things is healthy. I consider the cost of education to be a LOAN (not a gift) which my kids will re-pay when they put their own kids through school.

Moderation is the key: why does it have to be all or nothing?

I too will never pay a dime for my kids to go to school. I worked hard during the summer to earn the $5K needed for school each year. Well, not all during the summer, but that's where a large chunk comes from. Nothing is as funny as people who pay out of state college costs for reasons other than Ivy league.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    I too will never pay a dime for my kids to go to school. I worked hard during the summer to earn the $5K needed for school each year. Well, not all during the summer, but that's where a large chunk comes from. Nothing is as funny as people who pay out of state college costs for reasons other than Ivy league.
    Ok, you don't have kids; once you do, that'll change.

I'm I'm financially able, God willing, I will pay for my kids education. I will also help with a down payment on their house.

I don't want to spoil them; I've had a job ever since I was 14 andbought my first car for $650. I plan on them having a job, saving for a car etc. then I will match what they save (but probably give them more).

I also plan on using their inheritance money on them while they're still alive; I want to see them take pleasure with it, rather than when I'm dead. I have no problem getting them into a house etc. that's in a safe area, good schools etc.

I also plan on them growing up responsible and hard working.

Tone Guest
    Are you really Data from Goonies ;x

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Are you really Data from Goonies ;x
    Yes...................

I dont see why having kids or not having kids is going to change my view on this issue. My mother offered to help me with college but I wouldn't let her. I worked hard for 3yrs to make the down payment on my house. If that's the way I feel, that's the way I feel. It would of course be different if there was a reason the kid couldn't pay their own way, but unless their handicaped that shouldnt be the case.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Tone Guest
    Apples and oranges...

Your entire life, and perception of life, and priorities and changed once you have kids. I can't explain it in words, but it's a complete 180.

Well shit, let's fire up the baby factory....Oh wait, I dont have a girlfriend....I should start there.

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    Well shit, let's fire up the baby factory....Oh wait, I dont have a girlfriend....I should start there.
    Yes, that's one important piece to the puzzle.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Im thinking now that I should look into another career if things don't get better.....
    Last edited by Ellynn; 09-09-05 at 02:50 AM.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123