+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Quit Smoking Today

Remember too: Apart from nicotine addication, smoking is also a way to suppress feelings. Plugging your mouth with a cigarette is, often, an outward mimicking of inwardly putting an wanted feeling in a black bottle and stoppering it.
    Speak less. Say more.

Ya'll need to lay off that brown crap and smoke some cali greens.

lol.

congratulations indep. i used to smoke too and i quit for the same reasons. my boss at the time brought her grandmother to a gathering we were having for work and she had emphezema. she could barely move and it looked so miserable. it was a big reality check for me, it was like a glimpse into my future. two girls at my job quit smoking too. they'd been doing it for a long time. it'll only be hard for a little while then you won't even have the desire for them. the connections in your brain will break. your lungs will then start emptying out all the nasty chemicals you put into them. about 2 months after i quit i got the worst case of bronchitis. it lasted a long time too. then after than everything will be fine.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good for you Independent!! I'm so glad to hear when people quit.

I quit like, seven years ago. I started to have lung and circulatory problems.....the blood flow to my fingers just used to cut off when I was cold, and they'd turn blue and numb. Scared the crap outta me. Quit cold turkey. It was hard, but it was the best way. Takes the old lungs awhile (a few years) to recover completely, but it's worth it to not feel winded when climbing a flight of stairs.

Good luck!! And stick with it!!!
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks for the encouragement!

This is day two. First thing in the morning was a little difficult this morning. I cant wear the patch to bed because it makes me have nightmares, and - well, I'm not a morning person, just to make matters worse :p

I made it though, and the patch has finally kicked in. I just had to grab my bottled water and eat about 5 mints LOL... but I feel calm now (whew!).

I'm using the water bottle for the hand-to-mouth habit (instead of pretzels or food). Yesterday I ended up drinking 36oz, so that's a good replacement.

I'm considering the nicotine gum, but I'm really afraid it is going to make sores in my mouth (because the patch leaves a really nasty swollen feverish spot on my arm). Anybody ever tried the gum - - and did it have any effects like that?

i doubt the gum will do that to you. you're doing great! day two woohoo!

Tone Guest
    Update us everyday on your status. And anytime you're feeling temptation, come to LF and let us yell at you!!

the water thing is good. i used to chew on straws, that helped a lot.

mmmm straws...

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Update us everyday on your status. And anytime you're feeling temptation, come to LF and let us yell at you!!
    Thank you, Tone That means a lot!

So far so good - feeling antsy, so it's time for the morning workout. This is definitely a VERY positive change in lifestyle for me!

By the way, I said "treadmill" above, but what I actually have is the Gazelle (the Tony Little thingamajig). I LOVE it - anyone else have one at home?

Ah yes, the Gazelle. Have you seen that commercial for Geico and he's like You can do it! That always makes me laugh.

Did someone say "oral fixation"? I'm sure I can help you with that!
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Junsui
    Ah yes, the Gazelle. Have you seen that commercial for Geico and he's like You can do it! That always makes me laugh.
    Yeah, me too LOL - but it IS a great workout!

I've heard it's great. I'll try it one of these days.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow, thats great you quit! Keep it up. The first week or so is the toughest....and I hate it how I always get a cold or sore throat right when I quit......but that kinda helps make it all easier..

But I do know what a challenge it is. Next time I quit....it will be for good.....
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast