+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Quit Smoking Today

I Quit Smoking Today

It's been planned for a couple of weeks now, as I agreed to quit with a friend of mine... and today is the date she chose. At a recent dr appt, she was told she was in the beginning stage of emphysema. I have been wanting to quit for awhile now myself, so when she told me the news... I told her I'd quit with her.

I have been smoking since I was 14 years old. I'm 32 now... so that's about 18 years. All of my adult life (and then some).

I've quit twice before for about a year each time (during and after my two pregnancies). Both of those times it was EASY. My body rejected the whole smoking habit naturally, AND I had a great reason to let it go.

This time it's harder of course, because it's pure choice, but I'm determined to become a non-smoker. To change my lifestyle with a complete turnaround. I'm replacing the pepsi & smokes with water & exercise.

I guess I just needed to tell someone, say it out loud...

Tone Guest
    Good, now stick to your guns.

I posted this before in the "Kissing" section:

"For what it's worth, my dad died from emphasema. It was horrible to watch. So those of you with kids, you're being very selfish; think of your kids. Cigarettes will kill you. I'd say over about the last 7 years are very noticable; then the last 2 are hard with the last 6 months or so being unbearable.

I would never, ever want my kids to have to go thru what I witnessed; if that meant giving up solid food, I would.

That is all. *steps off soapbox*"
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Good for you for quitting! I hope you stick to it!

Thanks for posting it again, Lloyd - that's one of my greatest motivations!

I think NOW is a good time for me to be letting go of A LOT of bad habits in my life... so I can really start to move forward. Otherwise I'm going to be sitting here 10 years from now still smoking it up and dating jerks LOL

The more I think about it, the more I agree that now is the time to make ALL of the changes I want or need to make. Between the break-up and the quitting, I find myself distracted from work or having mini-anxiety-like attacks throughout the day.

Just finished working out *both* issues on the treadmill - and that felt GOOD!

I believe when one sets goals, they have to be attainable; don't bite of more than you can chew. Baby steps, otherwise you might get overwhelmed and none of the goals will be accomplished.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Tone Guest
    Yeah then you'll beat yourself up over it and won't even go after your smaller goals.

Okay, so what would you suggest?

I'm actually feeling very good about my current goals, but I hear what you are saying. I've already made it 11+ hours without a cigarette - and the relationship is all but over anyway.

Knowing that - hit me with your best thoughts. I'm open to suggestions

p.s. These goals actually DO seem small to me compared to what's coming down the pike, ie other plans/goals I have both short-term and long-term

Tone Guest
    Instead of saying "Okay I want to make ALL the changes in my life I want or think I need" work on one thing at a time. Say "Okay right now it's smoking" otherwise you're going to overwhelm yourself and try to change so much so fast all at once you won't even recognize your own self anymore!

You're right, and I did say that.

I should re-phrase, because I am only starting with the two major negative factors in my life right now: smoking & hanging on to a failed relationship.

There are other things I plan to change, but I certainly dont plan to tackle them TODAY or even this week. Hell, probably not even this month LOL

I have to quit. And I have to quit him. Those two I think I can handle together.

Yes, quit that old relationship. That's good to stick with. As far as the smoking, are you going cold turkey or using something to assist you in quitting? It will be really tough going cold turkey.

Tone Guest
    I always wonder if I could quit smoking cold turkey. It seems like something so easy to do, for me.. I don't know that I've ever been addicted to something I couldn't quit. And women don't count. But especially something that is harmful to my body, I think I could quit easy.

Anyways, good luck Indy!

Yes, maybe you could. But those with an addictive personality can't quit things as easily.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast