+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost my job today

Bleh. Today I feel more anxious and bummed out of this situation. I am wide awake at 6:00 am this morning, a time when I would normally be sleeping in with nothing on my mind except how I was going to be spending a lazy Sunday.

I never thought I'd feel this way about a job, but I really loved it. It was literally my dream job.

I guess now is the time to start thinking about all the other people with bigger problems than me and count my blessings.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was unemployed for the first four months of 2008, and couldn't find a job in my desired field......I went from being optomistic one day, to waking up and bawling the next. It was a rough ride, but right when I was about to run out of money I got a job. Things worked out.

I sincerely hope you don't go as long as I did, but in the end things always work out. Maybe you'll end up finding a job you like even better than your previous one. Just say you want it, and you'll have it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Bleh. Today I feel more anxious and bummed out of this situation. I am wide awake at 6:00 am this morning, a time when I would normally be sleeping in with nothing on my mind except how I was going to be spending a lazy Sunday.

I never thought I'd feel this way about a job, but I really loved it. It was literally my dream job.

I guess now is the time to start thinking about all the other people with bigger problems than me and count my blessings.
    starbuck i say sit back relax, have a beer or whatever your favourite drink is, even invite a few friends over, see this as a long weekend. This i would do until wednesday. Then i would make it my new job to find a job.

i got let go from a company in New York when i was there and i chilled out for a few days and then went nuts on sending my resume out to 200 relevant places in the post. I paid for really nice folders to hold the resume in big envelopes and postage and i had a job by friday.

my view is: employers have a tendancy to delete emails. so i felt by sending tangible resume's would get me noticed more. thats how i reckon you should look at it. enjoy the first few days and then go hell for leather on wednesday.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

aw starbuck i'm sorry!!!

i know how it is to get up early in the morning and start thinking and obsessing about things. things will start looking up. you'll get another job and keep on keepin on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1rRxG251s"]YouTube - Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush - Don't give up [Version 1][/ame]
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Hey Starbuck,

I haven't been on in a while and this is what happens!!

Stay strong, you are a smart lady with a lot of talent. Something will come your way.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah I'm really sorry to hear that Starbuck.

Thanks all. I appreciate the comments.

I ended up working out in the morning then spending the day with my best girlfriend. The weather was perfect today, so we went to the park and lay on a blanket for hours just people-watching under a great big tree. There was a lovely breeze and the leaves were turning colors and there were tons of people in the park, playing frisbee and letting their dogs off-leash for a while. It was nice to be at one with the city.

So I'm feeling ok again tonight, just trying not to obsess too much about my joblessness. I know it's cliched, but I'm just going to take things one day at a time.

I'm sorry to hear that Starbucks...I'd hire you as my uhm...poolgirl?

If I had a pool and money.

I say take a couple days just to relax and do something you've been wanting to do for a while but never really done it. Then work your ass off apply to every place you can and get chugging on those interviews.

<3 for luck.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know it's cliched, but I'm just going to take things one day at a time.
    Yeah that's right, otherwise you get overwhelmed and get nowhere. Look at each task you have to do independently as you work on it and until you finish it if you've already figured out the bigger plan

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    my view is: employers have a tendancy to delete emails. so i felt by sending tangible resume's would get me noticed more.
    Actually, I look at *every* resume that is sent to me. This is partly b/c anyone who actually sends it to my personal work address has gone to some trouble to find out I am the director, which means that they have done some research about the company. If, after a quick scan, its someone I think promising, I forward it to the appropriate manager so they can do the hiring details. B/c I have made the recommendation, my managers almost always end up hiring them.

So, I would disagree that employers delete emails. Its certainly not true in my case & I run a dept of >100 ppl.

As to email vs. paper. I find it much easier to do a quick eval by email. A paper resume is very old fashioned & its wasteful to the environment (nice one, there "Eco"). Nowadays, I would only expect to see a paper CV in academia where a resume is specially requested with a job or grant. Or a very formal/backwards company that I'm not sure would be a suitable place for a forward-thinking art consultant, in any case.

Just make sure your subject line is clear & your resume and contact info succinct. Find a senior person to send to specifically, if you can & confirm receipt if you don't hear from them in a few days. A cover letter is also good to include (send as a separate file), but keep it brief & relevant to the company. I've often found the cover letters turn me off someone as much as make me more interested. It has to be more than a form letter.

Good luck, SB.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 13-10-08 at 11:48 AM.

I hired people in my now ex-position, too. I agree that an emailed resume is just as valid as a paper one, if not more. I used to get alot of junk snail mail, so I actually prefered emailed resumes. I also liked it when the cover letter was right in the email, too, not in a separate file. I could read, then download, and print. Done and done.

One thing I found about e-mail is that a lot of people don't even read theirs. When I was at my internship I noticed a lot of people with their e-mails open and with 100+ sometimes 200+ unread e-mails.

That's not to say that getting it in paper would be any different.

And plenty of times I heard people talking about sending out an e-mail and asking if people got it and there were always plenty of people that said they didn't see it.

But my preference would definitely be e-mail. Plus you can always CC or BCC people as evidence that you did send something.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    One thing I found about e-mail is that a lot of people don't even read theirs. When I was at my internship I noticed a lot of people with their e-mails open and with 100+ sometimes 200+ unread e-mails.
    Oh, I'm totally the same. My Inbox has huge amounts of unread msgs. I archive my mail twice a year, but until then it sits there.

I do *look at* each message tho. This is why I said the subject line is so important. Ppl send a LOT of shit mail, including ppl who shouldn't, so I read the subject line & if its not something I want or have time for it just stays unread.

Likewise I have gotten msgs where someone has sent a bad file. If I can't immediately open it, or its garbled somehow, I'm not going to let them know. I just delete the msg. They want me to hire them, so its their problem to get it right. I'm busy.

Its remarkable, tho, how many ppl don't realize that the person they are sending to isn't there to simply open their message. Or that I'm not likely to be able to find it after the next day & the next 100+ messages. And I'm not even talking about the ones that go to my spam box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Yummy yummy
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

They are awfully cute aren't they. It looks like it's smiling.
    It's smiling because it's coming for your money
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast