+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost my job today

Lost my job today

My company decided to let me and over 120 staffers go today. I'm numb and quite honestly, still in shock.

This economy is seriously screwed. I've been watching all this economical volatility on the news for weeks now and knew all along it would affect me somehow. Although I was always hoping maybe it wouldn't.

Well it finally has.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Oh no! That totally sucks. I hate being unintentionally unemployed. How is the job market for a person with your skill set?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ugh. That's just awful.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I honestly don't know how much luck I'll have right away. I have a couple leads that I will be following up with. Everyone around me keeps telling me I'll land on my feet, but I am anxious. I got some severance though, so I won't be selling my body on the street just yet.

I'm on my fourth glass of wine and getting more liquor is looking appealing to me right now.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Omg Starbuck, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will have some luck with these leads....what is it that you do?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks all. I'm an art director. I've worked primarily for fashion magazines, but could possibly parlay my skills into different industries.

Can I come work for one of you guys? I make a mean cup of coffee.
    Last edited by starbuck; 11-10-08 at 08:49 AM.

I think misombra's hiring LF prostitutes.

Hey, if the economy keeps tanking, pass the clear heels and see-through shirt. My rent is pretty fricking high.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey, I could use someone to clean up after my lazy ass.

You mind wearing a uniform? Actually, as long as you're in that I think we can skip the cleaning part altogether.
    Last edited by Gribble; 11-10-08 at 09:19 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Gribble, I am very bad with dust bunnies. But I would look good in the uniform, and have very many other charms.

Can I just add that I'm getting very drunk at the moment?!
    Last edited by starbuck; 11-10-08 at 09:23 AM.

I'm sorry to hear that Starbuck. It makes it worse when it's out of the blue and for no fault of your own.

But given your personality and talents I doubt you will be unemployed for very long. Keep looking and maybe you will find something even better than what you had.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    My company decided to let me and over 120 staffers go today. I'm numb and quite honestly, still in shock.

This economy is seriously screwed. I've been watching all this economical volatility on the news for weeks now and knew all along it would affect me somehow. Although I was always hoping maybe it wouldn't.

Well it finally has.
    Well.., that's quite a shock..

I'll try and ask some of the partners if the firm does any advertising.., and if there's something available..

I know it's a bit of a jump from the exciting world of fashion.., but I'll also ask some friends I have at Deloitte.., Ernst & Young.., PwC.., and KPMG if there's anything available.. (very secure job if there is something available.., I can't imagine the art or marketing department being material to the budget of these firms.., so it's not even worth it for them to trim them down.., they just lay off staff auditors or tax associates instead)

I wouldn't let it get to you too much.. Back in managerial accounting.., when you're learning about budgeting.., the art department has a pretty low priority.., which means it's one of the first ones to get trimmed down in an effort to cut costs..

I know you're probably still in shock over what just happened.., and job hunting isn't exactly something on your list of things you're in the mood for.. In fact.., that list may have been tossed out completely for the moment.. However.., don't let the shock get to you.., and don't blame yourself for something that's not your fault..

But if or when you decide to see what's out there.., PM me a PDF link to your resume' and I'll send it to everyone I know..

It's a tough market.., but that doesn't mean it's impossible to find a job.., it only means you have to work twice as hard to find it.. But you can find one.., so don't let this whole thing discourage you or scare you at all.. I'm serious.. I saw the weather forecast for tomorrow.., and the sun is still going to come out again..
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Can I just add that I'm getting very drunk at the moment?!

Hey, I'm getting started myself! TGIF baby.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I am so sorry to hear this Starbuck. I wanted to get drunk tonight too but the bf is too busy and I don't drink alone. Maybe I can do virtual group drinking.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Holy Shit. I am really sorry, SB.

Are you tied to where you are? Are you mobile enough to relocate if necessary?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast