View Poll Results: Views on Cigarettes

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think Cigarettes should be illegal, because I believe I know what's best for everyone

4 23.53%
  • Clove Cigarettes should be taxed higher but not illegal

4 23.53%
  • During a recession, they should leave cigarettes and taxes the **** alone

3 17.65%
  • Making things illegal undercuts my constitutional rights

7 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama's Cigarette Banning

Smoking is recreational. Driving is a transportation necessity. Simple as.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Smoking is recreational. Driving is a transportation necessity. Simple as.
    Hence.. recreational driving insurance?

No more recreational driving for you

So how does it feel to be on the receiving end?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

either way pollution kills, it likely kills people more easily as the days go by because of the malnutrition people are unknowingly suffering from leaving them exposed to health defects and disease due to lowered immunity. then to top that all the products we use, with plastics, chemical based products and the deadly air fresheners and perfumes and too much shit to mention here, but cigarettes are still a problem for the more vulnerable who don't have a choice like children, but yea cigarettes are the least of our problems
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 24-08-09 at 08:10 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBwsG8ubFw"]YouTube - Hues Corporation - Rock the Boat[/ame]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    since we all are going to die anyways, atleast let us choose which form of cancer we want to die from.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    since we all are going to die anyways, atleast let us choose which form of cancer we want to die from.

raverboy
    That's the first reply in this thread I've seen that actually makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

First of all where is the link supporting all of this that you posted?

Second of all The World Health Organization estimates that tobacco causes 5.4 million deaths a year (and rising) a figure still much bigger than yours (here is a link [url]http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GBD_report_2004update_full.pdf[/url]) 100 million deaths over the course of the 20th century.

Third you are not correlating the difference between two issues properly. The amount of people who do not smoke (unrelated to decision to smoke) who die as a result are much higher than the amount of people who do not make a decision to drive (innocent bystanders or passengers) and who die as a result. Like I said you are comparing apples to rocks and your comparisons can easily be used for anything like legalization of drugs. It's that ridiculous. And I'm not going to debate something this ridiculous with you any further.

But just for the record I do support alternative fuels.
    Last edited by Mish; 24-08-09 at 08:36 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

why can't we just die of old age without suffering in the process? it's a pipe dream for most people.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    First of all where is the link supporting all of this that you posted?
    No link, it's a combination of multiple sources.

There comes the denial

Don't rock the boat eh?

I suggest you do your own research. Maybe in time, you'll come to understand the anti smoking campaign is a smoke screen. All you did in your last post is saying that *I* make the wrong correlations, which is an error in logic (ad hominem). Attack the data, not the person.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 24-08-09 at 08:43 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I suggest you do your own research. Maybe in time, you'll come to understand the anti smoking campaign is a smoke screen.
    Only the people who don't have the evidence say something like that. I fully support the anti smoking campaign and anyone who lobbies for the "rights" of smokers while supports keeping all other illegal drugs illegal is a hypocrite.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I wouldnt give a shit about smoking if it did not affect people who do not smoke.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

PHILADELPHIA, Aug. 17, 2008 — A previously unrecognized group of air pollutants could have effects remarkably similar to harmful substances found in tobacco smoke, Louisiana scientists are reporting in a study scheduled for presentation today at the 236th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society. Inhaling those pollutants exposes the average person up to 300 times more free radicals daily than from smoking one cigarette, they added.

The discovery could help explain the long-standing medical mystery of why non-smokers develop tobacco-related diseases like lung cancer, said H. Barry Dellinger, Ph.D., the Patrick F. Taylor Chair of Environmental Chemistry at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

Sayonara Mish,

this conversation is over.

It's very obvious to me that you are another victim of our wonderfull media world. The names of the people listed above should give you enough leads to do your own research.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 24-08-09 at 01:44 PM. Reason: highlighting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Smoke in your own home. It's a filthy habit. You people reek. You're disgusting. Stay away from me. I don't really care about anything else. Smoke yourselves to death, just don't expect me to pick up the bill while you're rotting away in some hospital with an iron lung.

Hopefully the government will tax the shit out of folks who feel the need to drive vehicles with crap mileage. Hopefully the government will throw its weight around and pressure manufacturers into producing cleaner, more efficient vehicles or alternate fuel sources. Because we all know people aren't going to do a damn thing themselves, not unless someone is holding a figurative gun to their heads.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Hopefully the government will throw its weight around and pressure manufacturers into producing cleaner, more efficient vehicles or alternate fuel sources. Because we all know people aren't going to do a damn thing themselves, not unless someone is holding a figurative gun to their heads.
    Amazing how quickly the car manufacturers come up with better technology by the month.

Somehow Chevy already has fully functioning electric car.

People do do things themselves, but when it threatens a corporations success, it never quite makes it to light.

It's not like cigarettes will be illegal... they will just be higher in cost. So if you can't afford it... that would be the only reason you would complain.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast