+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Career advice needed please

Kingz I have an interview tomorrow so may be 1step closer to fixing my career and just applied for a really good job that I have more than enough experience for so feeling quite positive.

PP I respect your opinion but leaving is not for everyone. Each to their own.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Going back to school isn't going to fix your problem. People keep on accumulating degrees thinking they are getting ahead but once they get out in the job market, they are back at square one and with a lot more debt.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    Going back to school isn't going to fix your problem. People keep on accumulating degrees thinking they are getting ahead but once they get out in the job market, they are back at square one and with a lot more debt.
    You are one weird ass bitch.

This thread keeps getting better and better...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Starnique View Post
    You are one weird ass bitch.
    I concur...

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    Kingz I have an interview tomorrow so may be 1step closer to fixing my career and just applied for a really good job that I have more than enough experience for so feeling quite positive.
    Good! I hope everything works out for you. Let us know what happened.

Okay so had my interview. It sounds like I could gain excellent experience there but the money is very bad for the amount of responsibility. I was earning 3000 more in gold shop for less responsibility but I still think the experience and the hours (10-6) may be worth it for awhile.

However, the job title is "office assistant" when really I will be more like an "accounts administrator" plus a bit of everything else including marketing but I could always change that title if necessary to match the role when moving on.

One obstacle though: right now I have no car and no way of getting there. I could borrow my bfs car sometimes but taking this job will mean another loan and more debt which I don't want..

I may not even get it yet. They seemed impressed with my experience and ability but are aware I will need training. She said it could take up to a year to be fully trained in all aspects and the job will be very flexible where it could vary a lot.

I am excited about it though and want the job despite the terrible money coz I think it could open a lot of doors for me.

What you think?

I think if they make the offer, you should take it. You will still have a roof over your head and food in your plate, and you will not be miserable as you are now working at mcdonald's.

Is there no way you can reach the office with public transportation? If it isn't too distant, you could also consider walking or biking.
    Last edited by searock; 03-05-14 at 01:55 AM.

What you think?
    I think McDonalds.

You will be trying to jump dont know where again. Might be another hellhole. + Road expenses is not worth it. Theres a reason why this job is so easy to get. Most people wont work for so little money. Office job is stresfull so instead of bored you would be stressed out.

But searock have point too, as long as you have roof over your head you can work whatever work you want.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I think that you should take it and maybe think of investing money in a good used car to get you to work. This may be your ticket into moving up the ladder in your career.

Take advantage of the training and new experience. The money will come later.

One obstacle though: right now I have no car and no way of getting there.
    Well, how did you get there for the interview?

I'd not even apply at places that would be difficult to get to. However: "difficult" is subjective so, how would it be "difficult?"

If they offer it to you, I wouldn't turn it down. You're not happy at McDonalds and you can always find a place in any fast food joint if it doesn't work out at the new place.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

you always seemed like off your other job & threads you made, a hard worker and you want a job you can enjoy and be respected. don't work a job like fast food you'll stagnate in that enviro. take the new job offer and maybe sleep at a friends who lives closer on days you can't get bf's car to drive & they can drop you off bf pick you up or close enough you could walk. gl michelle.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I took my bfs car. Its only a ten minute drive but no public transportation as its a farm on an old country road.

I honestly don't know. I have a bad feeling about it now to be honest after thinking about it. They want me to take on huge responsibility for the same money as mcdonalds and they are expanding, very busy all year round-good company... so why so little money? It just seems dodgy to me.

I might not even get offered it coz I have no accounts experience but I doubt an experienced accounts person would work for that money so maybe. He said I have good business experience and I could take on a lot of the marketing during quiter times.. but main responsibilities are answering phone, email, ordering stock, invoices, accounts (calculating cost/profit) etc

If it's only a 10 minutes drive, then you can definitely bike to work, right? Think of it as a free gym membership :-) good for the environment, too.

Look the company up on the internet (although I'm sure you've done that already), to see if they aren't trying to scam you or something, since you have a bad feeling.

write out a quick pro/con list for both jobs. what do you get offered at Mcdonalds hourly compared to other?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I took my bfs car. Its only a ten minute drive but no public transportation as its a farm on an old country road.

I honestly don't know. I have a bad feeling about it now to be honest after thinking about it. They want me to take on huge responsibility for the same money as mcdonalds and they are expanding, very busy all year round-good company... so why so little money? It just seems dodgy to me.

I might not even get offered it coz I have no accounts experience but I doubt an experienced accounts person would work for that money so maybe. He said I have good business experience and I could take on a lot of the marketing during quiter times.. but main responsibilities are answering phone, email, ordering stock, invoices, accounts (calculating cost/profit) etc
    Sometimes when working in a new field, you have to start from scratch. And companies in general like to low ball applicants with zero experience in the area. I know because that's what my institution does for entry level applicants or experienced people but not necessarily in the field that they are applying for.

You are there not for the money (at least not for now), but for the experience that you will gain having to work for that company. You can always move on later and you will bring with you the new skills and experience. That will be the key to getting you a job in the future that can mentally challenge and motivate you.

Remember, this is not permanent, this is just a stepping stone for you.
    Last edited by chinagirl; 03-05-14 at 08:30 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast