Quote Originally Posted by jessica13 View Post
Sorry, I didn't notice the country on here - very new to this forum. I admit I don't know much about modern Russia, I only read the story with compassion and it made me sad. Seeing someone who has been told she can't have a relationship until she is 25 or she's doomed to a life of poverty is quite heartbreaking. Maybe that is my American point of view, but it's the only view I have.

I agree she should work on her relationship with her mother. While there may be cultural differences, all mothers can be reasoned with... eventually.
I bet money on it the mother just said this out of haste. People will say things in the heat of the moment, and I believe she didn't mean it in a literal sense but more like her way of saying, she needs to make better choices in her life. I feel the mother is just being protective, just like any other mother would, and that she only wishes the best for her daughter. Her mother's worry is obviously about pregnancy and her daughter dropping out of school to be with some shlep. This isn't her being domineering and controlling, this is a mother trying to keep her daughter on the right path.