+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My Family Vs. The Boyfriend

My Family Vs. The Boyfriend

My family feels that my boyfriend is taking me away from them. We have tried doing things together but my family feels that we're always waiting for my boyfriend to have time to do things - when the truth is that he has his own schedule and can't always construct it around my family.
    Now, my family has known him for 4 years, so he is not a stranger to them and we've all spent time together before - but now they are getting tired of waiting until he has free time to be included in family functions.
    Yes, I do want to spend my life with this man, but my family is very upset when I say I want to include him in something (because they know we will have to work around HIS schedule and he can't work around theirs).
    Also, I have an 8 year old sister who adores and looks up to me and she keeps telling me that she doesn't want my boyfriend tagging along with us all the time. My mother feels the same way.
    How can I address this?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Try to be fair to your parents. Your boyfriend - as I recall - has a problem with online gaming and talking to other women. If he gave up some of that time, he would be able to particpiate in more activities with your family, wouldn't he? Your family isn't a priority of his, but the games sure are.

I don't see why he has to be included in everything they do. He doesn't want to, and they don't want it either.

And no, it isn't fair that his schedule should always dictate when things can happen. I understand making an occasional concession for his benefit, but more than that is not fair.

Try having just time with your family too. I know it's hard to be away from the man you love, but it sure does make things easier with parents. This past weekend, I visited my folks (about an hour and a half away) for Friday and Saturday night. I visited my siblings while down there, then was back by Sunday to see my bf.

My bf doesn't mind and my parents <3 <3 <3 it!