+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Women's Rights Destroy Traditional Marriage?

SO back to the original topic here. The basic answer is YES. Women's rights did destroy traditional marriage, as traditional marriage is rooted deeply in patriarchial values which include the view that the woman is PROPERTY in a marriage. This is why it is traditional for the father to 'give the bride away'. It was based on dowry payment.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I hate listening to women who work outside the home talk about how much more important they are than women who stay home a few years and raise their children - like these women have sacrificed their lives or not lived up to their potential, or some such nonsense. The number of women who are so "important" that the world would suffer over their loss is miniscule. Children (especially young ones) NEED their moms. I think it is outrageously selfish to have babies only to shuffle them off to daycare so their mommies can feel important (assuming the income isn't a necessity).

Are there lazy moms out there? Of course. Probably in the same proportions as there are lazy working-people.
    Point? You need to follow this through to conclusion.

Lazy workers get reprimanded. If they don't improve they are fired.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate listening to women who work outside the home talk about how much more important they are than women who stay home a few years and raise their children - like these women have sacrificed their lives or not lived up to their potential, or some such nonsense. The number of women who are so "important" that the world would suffer over their loss is miniscule. Children (especially young ones) NEED their moms. I think it is outrageously selfish to have babies only to shuffle them off to daycare so their mommies can feel important (assuming the income isn't a necessity).

Are there lazy moms out there? Of course. Probably in the same proportions as there are lazy working-people.

I agree with it being important for a parent to be home raising the children for the years they are not in school. I fully intend to do so just because I grew up a daycare-child and I think I missed out on a lot of time with my parents.

I guess I just don't think it the WOMAN'S job to do this, primarily. I would never cut a woman down for staying home with her kids. However, I also think that choosing to have children doesn't mean you have to throw away your life and career aspirations.

I've known a few moms that stayed home and never finished school or got their careers started until their kids were older. Their advice has consistently been to me to maintain my education and career, because one day you're not as 'needed' at home - then you need something to do.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Point? You need to follow this through to conclusion.

Lazy workers get reprimanded. If they don't improve they are fired.
    No they don't. I bet everyone here is currently working with someone who should have been fired ages ago, but for some reason, they weren't. It seems some people in management are ALSO lazy.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My advice blue, is to keep working, esp after your mat leave. Esp for your field there is lots you can do remotely from your home office. Keep your toes wet, it makes a difference at work & little impact at home.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Women...

____

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, okay vash you know best. And b/c something is so, doesn't make it right.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    SO back to the original topic here. The basic answer is YES. Women's rights did destroy traditional marriage, as traditional marriage is rooted deeply in patriarchial values which include the view that the woman is PROPERTY in a marriage. This is why it is traditional for the father to 'give the bride away'. It was based on dowry payment.
    but beside that, didn't you find any other benefits to the family in a traditional marriage?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

No they don't. I bet everyone here is currently working with someone who should have been fired ages ago, but for some reason, they weren't. It seems some people in management are ALSO lazy.
    amen to that vashti, i have so many people in my company who don't do sh*t the whole day and still get salary. it's 7 people all together and all are mexicans. i really don't get it, since everyone else is working their asses off. i can't snitch either cuz i know that they are sole providers for their families and have tons of kids at home.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    but beside that, didn't you find any other benefits to the family in a traditional marriage?
    Benefits that the woman was pretty much trapped in the relationship and had to put up w/ the the man however he wanted? I don't know, I'd rather have a partner in a relationship than a subordinate.

I think traditional marriage is still viable, it just requires a lot more effort from males to carry the load in the relationship. It isn't just about them being a provider any more, they need to be equals in the relationship when it comes to kids, housework, etc. Women have careers too these days, and their careers are just as important as the man's.

The other part that eroded the traditional family in the US was WWII and women entering the work force en-masse for really the first time. They proved they could do any job needed.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

i can't snitch either cuz i know that they are sole providers for their families and have tons of kids at home.
    I'm not sure how that's your problem really.

i can't snitch either cuz i know that they are sole providers for their families and have tons of kids at home.
    So what if they have tons of kids at home? They get fired for doing a bad job... realize they have mouths to feed... get another job... work harder to keep their job. If they get fired again for doing a bad job yet again... those kids at home will motivate them to try even harder with the next job. Somehow I don't see firing someone for doing a bad job as being a bad thing... for the business or the person. Kids should be an incentive to do better in life... imo...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    I'm not sure how that's your problem really.
    which? that i allow that to happen? or them having huge families?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    So what if they have tons of kids at home? They get fired for doing a bad job... realize they have mouths to feed... get another job... work harder to keep their job. If they get fired again for doing a bad job yet again... those kids at home will motivate them to try even harder with the next job. Somehow I don't see firing someone for doing a bad job as being a bad thing... for the business or the person. Kids should be an incentive to do better in life... imo...
    in a perfect world that is exactly how i think. but....knowing everyone for such a long time, it would really break my heart if they were to get fired on my account.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unless you are their supervisor, Dig, its not your job to be reporting them so no guilt there. I am sure their behaviour is already noted, it will come back to bite them eventually, not necessarily in losing their job but other ways. It always does.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast