+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Women's Rights Destroy Traditional Marriage?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    I'm not sure how that's your problem really.
    A guy wouldn't snitch, either Lite. You know this.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I never report people. I'm not going to be an incompetent supervisor's stooly and I'm certainly not going to take part in getting someone else fired. Focus on doing your job well and ignore what the next guy is doing. That's how you get ahead.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I never report people. I'm not going to be an incompetent supervisor's stooly and I'm certainly not going to take part in getting someone else fired. Focus on doing your job well and ignore what the next guy is doing. That's how you get ahead.
    Its actually a great way to have someone come in and go postal on you if they ever found out. We've had wrongful termination lawsuits. Never successful, but still a huge time sink, and we don't get those costs back.

Its hard to fire someone. Sometimes its necessary, but it requires delicacy. Even if they deserve it, it can be a mess. Much better to fix the issues if you can, or transfer them, for a whole lot of reasons.

Hmmm, same with marriage, really, come to think.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Its actually a great way to have someone come in and go postal on you if they ever found out. We've had wrongful termination lawsuits. Never successful, but still a huge time sink, and we don't get those costs back.

Its hard to fire someone. Sometimes its necessary, but it requires delicacy. Even if they deserve it, it can be a mess. Much better to fix the issues if you can, or transfer them, for a whole lot of reasons.

Hmmm, same with marriage, really, come to think.
    i will start a new thread on this
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Doesn't help if you have to work as a group to get the job done. Service level driven environments are just that way. If your group doesn't perform, they remove the group... Not just the stragglers.

Typically I'll try to talk to the person and find out why they're not carrying their load personally before taking it to management. We all have bad times in our lives, or things we don't understand or whatever. But I'm not going work 60 hours because someone else in my group refuses to put in even 40 hours of effort each week.

You get ahead by actually bragging about what you do to management, and making sure that people understand that you work to make a difference in the company. Then, after a few years when they've only been giving you cost of living raises, you go find a new job and start this process all over again. In my line of work, if nothing goes wrong, I'm doing my job and get no credit or kudos. If something breaks I have a CIO, CTO, or CEO standing over my shouldering asking me wtf happened. Which is why I train my management to run interference on me while I figure out what went kablooey where and why. Otherwise they won't give me the time to actually do the work effectively. If I let them panic me I end up making the problem worse. Weird double edged sword.

Last company I worked at had all kinds of problems when I started, and very few when they laid me off. I had things to a point where if they broke, the backup kicked in automatically and nobody usually noticed any disruption in service. But I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone freeload off of my work and effort. My career, much like my life, if I'm not learning I'm stagnating and very unhappy.

Depending on the state it can be either very easy to fire someone, or very hard. The issue is how they go about it. With the current economy they can merely eliminate the position out from under them if they're not actually doing meaningful levels of work.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    A guy wouldn't snitch, either Lite. You know this.
    It really depends upon how much it affected my job... I know my co-worker received a nice talking to when something broke and I was the only person who stayed to fix it. I was a contractor at the time and 12 hours of contract pay overtime wasn't something I was at all unhappy at putting in. But management wasn't happy my co-worker decided to go to a party and paying me overtime when he was salaried. But hey, when your boss comes in w/ a big ass bottle of beer at 12.5% volume alcohol then next monday as well. Even better, I get to drink in the office.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    Equality in coverage for health care, prescriptions, pay, treatment in the workplace, etc.

There are a lot of areas in which women are still not equal to men in the eyes of "society".
    Pay, treatment in the workplace, wtf? There is no law that says women should be paid this much and treated like that.

That simply shows that they can't be equal if they don't know how to ask a good pay. You know what it is, women are actually forgiven more easily, that is because they are expected to make more mistakes than men, and women actually know this very well.
    Don't expect anything.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have no idea what you are talking about, booba.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Pay, treatment in the workplace, wtf? There is no law that says women should be paid this much and treated like that.

That simply shows that they can't be equal if they don't know how to ask a good pay. You know what it is, women are actually forgiven more easily, that is because they are expected to make more mistakes than men, and women actually know this very well.
    I'm not sure what you are talking about as well boobaa, but it reminds me of another point (and maybe it's your point?).

Some jobs have a specific wage and everyone starting off gets that amount no matter.

However, there are jobs (especially salary based jobs) where you have to negotiate and I do agree that many women have poor negotiation skills and end up with less than a man with the same skills doing the same job. Some women and some professions do not like to get into the negotiation game but it's very important that we do for the sake of others in that profession. Some people are willing to work for less than they deserve and then others have a difficult time demanding a good salary because of these people.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I'm not sure what you are talking about as well boobaa, but it reminds me of another point (and maybe it's your point?).

Some jobs have a specific wage and everyone starting off gets that amount no matter.

However, there are jobs (especially salary based jobs) where you have to negotiate and I do agree that many women have poor negotiation skills and end up with less than a man with the same skills doing the same job. Some women and some professions do not like to get into the negotiation game but it's very important that we do for the sake of others in that profession. Some people are willing to work for less than they deserve and then others have a difficult time demanding a good salary because of these people.
    You have poorer negotiation skills, so how can you be equal? It is not equality if one side gets lowered level.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    You have poorer negotiation skills, so how can you be equal? It is not equality if one side gets lowered level.
    I'm not sure what you mean. There are men who get less pay as well. You really cannot get the same pay and you don't know what others are making because salary is one topic not to be discussed at work...it's considered very private information .

Not all women have poor negotiation skills and not all men have good negotiation skills. The amount of your salary is only a problem if you consider it is. One person may make 120K USD and another may make only 96K USD for the exact job/skill but if you are satisfied there is no issue. I really don't care. My only issue is when the once 120K USD position suddenly becomes 96K USD positions because some grads did not know that they are worth 120K. Now the negotiations will be harder if you want 120K instead. It's supply and demand I suppose.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

this is just my opinion not based on any stats but my experience over the years watching who gets promoted for various positions in various companies i've worked in, generally men promote men and women promote men
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    Yes, I was thinking about this for women scientists. They do NOT, on average, get paid as much as their male counterparts. I'm talking actual PhD science faculty, where the numbers are publicly available for comparison (if you work for a publicly funded university or institution & make >80K a year, the numbers are available). Ask for what you are worth.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    this is just my opinion not based on any stats but my experience over the years watching who gets promoted for various positions in various companies i've worked in, generally men promote men and women promote men
    Thats because men are better.

[url]www.menarebetterthanwomen.com[/url] hahaha
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You know Boobaa, if your comments were half as intelligent as your driving, we might understand you. Alas:

--Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast