+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My new co-worker and I

My new co-worker and I

Hey guys
    So, I'm a twenty year old gal working at a shamefully hipster inspired clothing store (bet you can guess!), and just a week ago we got some new hires.
    I'd been working there for several months now so one of the new guys was essentially linked to me for his first night so I could show him the ropes.
    At first, I had no interest at all in him, mostly because I prejudged him as being another douche with tattoos. We talked and shared our disdain for retail and idiotic people and by the end of the night, I had a new impression of him.

A few days later we worked the same shift again and we continued our 'friend chemistry' (and by that I mean it became clear that our personalities meshed, we talked and joked and laughed with eachother). He'd randomly dance to silly songs that would come on to make me laugh or rub/pat the top of my head (I was wearing a hat). My one manager who quite likes me as a person would walk by a few times and give me one of those "I approve!" smiles and one other co-worker came to me either that day or the next inquiring what "was good" with the guy and me, and asking if there was something there, which I quickly dismissed.

He also grabbed my waist once (not a full on waist-grab, just a quick touch to say hey), and other little things like that.

Big problem: He definitely has a girlfriend and never hid that information, though never denied it. Other employees have seen her when they came into work together but I never did.

Issue that's sparking my need for advice: He proposed that he and I go to a NYE party together (not one he's throwing or a friend's throwing, we're just meant to find one and go after work).

My one friend says it's a bad idea and claims that we're not even friends yet, so it couldn't have even been a platonic invitation if it tried to be (meaning something not right will happen or the girlfriend certainly wouldn't approve).
    I'm just wondering why he won't be spending it with her and why he'd offer to go with just me after not knowing me for long at all.

Advice?

There is a possibility she has left town to see family and he sees this as an opportunity to have something on the side. Your friend is spot on with their comment. You really haven't given it enough time to really get to know this guy. You don't know if he is just a heavy flirt, is a cheater or possibly has an open relationship with his GF. Not too many people who have open relationships, like that kind of information to be public. So If you want to hang out with this guy, bring a friend or two with you to show it's just that, to hang out and nothing more.
    Last edited by smackie9; 31-12-11 at 10:37 PM.

He might have an open relationship with his gf, but CALL HER to confirm that before anything happens.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)