+ Follow This Topic

Thread: identify this weapon

anachronistic Guest

identify this weapon

today, i took my Pakistani scimitar to a pawn shop because i didn't need it and i need a nice new buck knife. the owner of the pawn shop took me into the back where are the knives and weaponry are located, and showed me several knives. there was a good buck knife, and a few other useful knives, but then he showed me an antique knife that i couldn't stop looking at:

the pawn shop owner didn't know anything about it, other than the fact that it was a bayonet. he doesn't remember where it came from, and thinks it's some kind of french bayonet.

anyone have any guesses? any help would be appreciated. also, should i keep the bayonet or should i see if i could trade it for a buck knife? not sure what to do, i kinda like it.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 25-05-07 at 12:59 PM.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No idea, but you should throw that on the end of a rifle and we can go storm DC together.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    No idea, but you should throw that on the end of a rifle and we can go storm DC together.
    doesn't fit around the muzzle on my m14.

it looks like it was in a war; i mean you can smell gun powder on it, and there are stains on it and shit, and the tip is all ****ed up like it's been stabbed into a bunch of people..

anachronistic Guest
    the scabbard looks like a german mauser from wwii, but the knife looks way different.

on the hilt is the mark of a crown and underneath it, is the letter c. there is a bunch of numbers and I's next to them. not sure what those mean either.

anachronistic Guest
    edit:

it's a Swedish M1896 bayonet, which was designed for the mauser m1896 and m1938. the m1896 was a swedish mauser, and has a long ass history behind it, here to read up on your mausers. >> [url]http://www.answers.com/topic/mauser[/url]

i couldn't find any information on the mauser m1938, it may have been used in wwii.

all i know is that this bayonet i got was used in war. there are all kinds of grooves and certain wears and tears in it give hint to war. i'm now the proud owner of a war artifact.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 25-05-07 at 12:48 PM.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Great, you own something that killed people.

You seem to enjoy this, and it disturbs me.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

bayonets were used when the guns had a single shot fire and needed ten freaking hours to reload for one more fire again. Now we have something called a secondary clip. I don't really like weapons, I do own some samurai swords but my love for those is like towards art.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    bayonets were used when the guns had a single shot fire and needed ten freaking hours to reload for one more fire again. Now we have something called a secondary clip. I don't really like weapons, I do own some samurai swords but my love for those is like towards art.
    i like weapons. it's not the pure fact that it killed someone, it's the fact that it was just used in wwii. i'm making a glass case for it

i have weapons for hunting, and i used to have a pakistani scimitar, which is nothing more than a long knife. i didn't use it for anything so i figured 'hey, i'll go get me a nice hunting knife' and now i have an artifact that's worth a few hundred dollars. the pakistani sword was new and i bought it for $20. it's a good thing that the shop owner didn't know anything about it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Great, you own something that killed people.

You seem to enjoy this, and it disturbs me.
    Which is why you're from Canada, and we're from the United States.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate to burst your bubble, but it's very unlikely that was used in combat. Most likely the damage comes from the weapon being used as an impromptu entrentching tool, not from disemboweling Nazis. Bayonets saw less and less use as weapons following WWI. It's still possible it drew blood, and that does make for a cooler story.
    Last edited by Gribble; 25-05-07 at 11:48 PM.