+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would you date someone who is self conscious about thier teeth due to a accident?

Would you date someone who is self conscious about thier teeth due to a accident?

Ok so this is very personal, but I would like honest answers. I am a 21 year old male and I had an accident when I was around 10 years old. This basically caused a front tooth to become "stuck" and 3 of the surrounding teeth to slowly die. Basically my teeth look normal for the most part. The gumline is not very pretty because it follows up where the tooth got stuck. The 3 teeth that will eventually fall out look normal however. And the tooth that was stuck has a crown so it just looks slightly bigger and longer than the other front tooth. This has obviously taken it's toll on me because before I got the tooth crowned I basically had a half tooth and I would get picked on during middle and early highschool. It is tough because I have never been able to give a genuine smile without worrying that other people would see my teeth are bad.I am in the process, however, of getting dental implants. I had to wait until now to begin treatment because I had not finished growing. But since my case is so complicated it will take anywhere from 8-16 months to get to the final result. Obviously in that time I will have to wear some sort of temporary teeth and that makes me really self conscious as the teeth often attract immediate attention, and I know a lot of people judge people based on thier teeth. i've recently met a woman who is amazing and I feel she is into me too. I really don't want to throw away this opportunity, but at the same time I could not blame her if she could not look past my teeth situation.I have thought about telling her this (she would be the only person who I would have ever told) but at the same time I know it is not fair to date someone when I am not comfortable with myself. So am I making this a bigger deal than it is? Would you personally date someone with messed up teeth? It's not like I don't take care of my mouth, I had an accident. Please only honest answer.

Hi there. I would definitely not throw away a possibly good relationship with a guy I am interested in just because of his teeth. Unless he wasn't taking care of his personal hygiene and all of his teeth were rotten and falling out...But since this is nowhere near your case, I wouldn't worry if I were you. If that woman is really as amazing as you say, she probably isn't that superficial and won't care as much about your teeth as you think. This is probably just all in your head since you were picked on in school about this and developed some confidence issue over this.

hell yeah baby.
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.