+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I Apologize?

Should I Apologize?

I want to apologize for something that happened with a guy I was dating for about 6 months. He and I decided not to see each other but in the process I hurt his feelings. I was lashing out because I was feeling hurt.
    I had told him I was glad to go our separate ways because I was tired of sharing him with other women. (Honestly, I don't know if he was seeing other girls or not but he often talked about seeing girls. We hadn't agreed to be exclusive)
    After a couple hours of cooling off, I called him to apologize. He had turned off his phone. I tried texting and emailing the next day but he never responded.
    It's been 6 weeks and I haven't tried to contact him.
    I've been agonizing over this situation and while I know neither of us want to have an intimate relationship, we were good friends (even before we dated) and I feel like I may have hurt him more than I realized.
    I want so badly to ask for his forgiveness or at the very least admit I was an asshole.
    But, is it worth it since he hasn't responded to me? I always thought that if someone doesn't return your calls then they want you to leave them alone. I want to respect that but I also can't get over how abrupt everything ended.
    I want him to know I did care about him. I keep thinking he got mad because I didn't realize how important I was to him. Or was I? I have no idea!
    I just want this to be over and I'm not sure I can move on unless I get this closure.

I think I just need some insight.

Honestly, I don't think you need his forgiveness. He didn't want to be exclusive with you meaning that he did want to see other girls, so what you said was warranted. His reaction is further proof. Bearing his reaction mind I also don't think that you were very important to him, which means that this closure is also unneeded. Move on the best you can, he's no longer in your life and that's probably for the best.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

In a tree somwhere (I'm on the fifth leaf on the 16th branch)
    If he doesn't respond after a reasonable amount of time, consider it close. Don't make contact anymore. You've done your share.
    He who laughs last, thinks the slowest

Yep agree with both!

6wks is a long time. You've tried hard enough, no he's the one acting like an ass. Just leave him.
    Within you I lose myself. Without you I find myself wanting to become lost again.

Nah I wouldn't bother and especially if he was an arse who talked about dating other women.

You'd both decided to part the ways anyway, so it's not like it's an apology needed and in order for you to reconcile.

If you go back he will likely be thinking it's any old excuse to get back with him - so no, I'd stay away.

Thanks everyone...your advice is definitely helpful and reassuring.
    Yesterday when I wrote that post I was beside myself with confusion. Today I feel more relaxed and am sure you are right about what I should do, or in this case, shouldn't do!
    I just can't wait to move on and be emotionally done with it. Weird how we sometimes hang on even when it truly wasn't right.

Nea is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    I would make sure that he knows how you feel and leave it at that. The ball is then in his court and its up to him

You have already apologized in mail and text. So wait for a week and see if still you didn't get any reply then take some decision ((

For relationship and dating advice please relationshipadvice911.com
    Last edited by craigmarsh; 17-08-10 at 01:50 PM.
    HTML Code:
    <a href="http://www.relationshipadvice911.com">Relationship Advice 911</a>

6 weeks is too long to torment yourself over something when your relationship that wasn't even exclusive. i don't mean it horribly, it's just how i see it. consider this thread your closure, you've done your bit and you don't look needy/ clingy. you can move on with your life
    They called us a dead generation,
    They told us that we wouldn't survive
    They left us alone in the maelstrom
    As you can see we're all clearly alive.