+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can a guy ever make up for a weak/bad first impression?

Can a guy ever make up for a weak/bad first impression?

So a week and a half ago, I was hanging out with a female friend and 2 of her friends (1 male, 1 female.) My friend's female friend is really pretty, but she had mentioned a bf earlier in the night, so I assumed she was taken so I made no move to try and win her over. I didn't make much of an effort to get to know her, she made no effort to get to know me.

A couple of days ago, I'm hanging out with them again (minus the male friend), but once again, I assumed she was taken and didn't make much of an effort to get to know her or spark her interest.

Then after we departed, I just happened to overhear from my female friend that that girl is single.

I was like "damn, I didn't know that."

Now that I know she's available, I want to get to know her, but right now, we're really just casual acquaintances. I'm afraid I came off as a shy and boring guy our first 2 meets.

I heard that a girl decides if she wants a guy the first minute or two she interacts with him, but we've probably hung out a total of an hour or two and I've made no attempt to play myself up and display any interest.

Is it too late? Can a guy ever make up for a weak first impression?

Nah, first impressions means a lot but trust me, I've made SUCH a bad first impression on so many people who later on became some of my closest friends.

You probably know in a split second or two if you're attracted but good relationships are built on many other things than just superficial attraction.

Plus, you can build attraction and start feel more attracted to someone when you get to know him/her.

That's what I think. Besides, what have you got to lose. Anything could happen, once you get to know her.
    Last edited by ellie; 15-09-09 at 07:38 AM.
    "If you love life, life will love you back."

Arthur Rubinstein

First impression is everything, bro. I don't know if I should explain this one or not because I think you already know why.

Raze
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Totally - I have had people who have totally changed my negative first impression of them.

first impressions are not everything. i change my mind about people 100 times before i settle on an opinion. BUT what concerns me is that you totally ignored her because you thought she wasn't single, so does that mean that if she ends up not interested in you romantically you'll throw her away again?? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by lostinconfusion View Post
    first impressions are not everything. i change my mind about people 100 times before i settle on an opinion. BUT what concerns me is that you totally ignored her because you thought she wasn't single, so does that mean that if she ends up not interested in you romantically you'll throw her away again?? O.o
    I would. If she's not single, why bother? Let's be realistic!
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

i think that as long as you make an effort now to spark up a conversation you will be alright, even if it dosent lead to you guys potentially dating if you two share a mutual friend you guys are going to have something in common, you just have to try not to think so hard about it. A woman knows when your trying too hard to spark a conversation and the silence definetley can make it awkward anytime you guys are left alone in a room. just be humourous around her and then start trying to get to know her as a person, if you dont win her over as a lover you can definetley win her over as a friend, then maybe she'll introduce you to one of her friends she thinks you would be really into...good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lostinconfusion View Post
    Umm, yeah!

Why should I waste my time trying to get to a know a girl who isn't available?