+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Breaking up: A Strong or Weak choice?

Breaking up: A Strong or Weak choice?

Is accepting a breakup really a way of showing your strength as a human being? Or is simply letting go a true weakness? I mean, someone told me that often, breaking up is just the easy way out. I keep thinking it's the right way to getting out a frustrations. Wow. I am quite confused.

Actually, I really did think for a little bit after my recent breakup that it seemed to be the easy, weak choice for him (It was mutual but not---I pushed for us to decide to either stay together and believe we could stay together, or stop fooling ourselves---he made the choice). I'm now not sure if letting go is going to be the most healthy choice, or if working thrings out is the most heathy choice?

UGH! We were okay (you can see my other post for the details of my relationship breakup) ish and I was jsut starting to sort of accept it...and now...are we actually making the WRONG choice? Who knows if it's right or wrong, I guess...but iuf both people are unhappy being apart and wow....He is an amazing person that I don't truly want to let go of...I am because I feel like I'm supposed to, to be able to move on. But what if moving on is actually NOT the good choice in this situation?!

I think the best any two can do is re-affirm their vows of affection to one another with the understanding that they will do their best to do what it takes to maintain the sense of connectedness, but there is a chance the press of circumstance may prevent that. Then go forward together as they can, one day at a time.

Sometimes, relationships aren't meant to last. But meant only to find closure on something in the past, or to prepare for something unexpected in the future.
    Speak less. Say more.

Coming from my point of view, yeah break-ups are the easy way out. In my younger years, if I didn't want to deal with stuff, I'd just call it off with the girl. Thinking about it now, we'all have to at the very least admit that relationships take work, time, and effort. If someone is not willing to put in that time from the get-go, then they really aren't ready for a relationship to start with.

However, we should all take a step-back every now and then to really see if things are working out the way we want them to. Both sides need to stop and really see whether things are or are not working out. Not to mention communication is really helpful. We shouldn't have to fool ourselves into staying in shitty relationships. Like in abusive relationships, the victim always believes that things will eventually change. But seriously, who are they fooling except themselves?

Sometimes it can be the easy way, but from what I've read in your other thread, I think it was the best decision. Your still so young and you deserve to enjoy school and meet a guy that pays more attention to you.

For some couples, breaking up can be the best decision. Especially, if the relationship is unhealthy and you don't feel happy.

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

I think that it depends on the situation, for example if your relationship has some minor issues and the person you are with breaks up with you over them, then that is taking the weak and easy route. On the other hand if there are major problems then by all means breaking up is the strong route to take.