+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compliments - how important are they to you?

Compliments - how important are they to you?

I've been in two long-term relationships and have been with my current bf for about 4mths, but i had a fling with a guy before my current boy who gave me SO MANY compliments!! I'd never really thought about it much before seeing him.

It's not like my previous bf's didn't say nice things, but this guy was a real sweetheart and was always telling me that Im beautiful, sexy, smart etc.. And it made me feel great!! He was so genuine and lovely. It was also incredibly reassuring and made for amazing sex!

My current boy is also pretty complimentary, but nowhere near as much. I find myself getting insecure from time to time, just in certain situations like maybe if I make an effort to look cute and he doesn't say anything. It's not so much a need for constant reassurance, but I guess it's nice to be reminded how much your partner wants/desires you.

How important is it to you to recieve compliments? Do you give them a lot?

I like to receive compliments because I hardly get them. Guys assume I hear it all the time so I don't hear them at all. But some guys take it too far. I don't want the nasty comments. I like ones that really make smile. You are beautiful, I love your hair, Your eyes or compliment something that I did or do. That means a lot to me.

It sucks because I bet if I posted half naked pictures on the net, or dressed like a slut in person... guys would compliment then. LOL! I'd get all the eyeballs. So yes if I am in a relationship or not in one... compliments are a plus.

Personally I only need a compliment here and there to get me by. I do like giving them though. I don't like women that are unreceptive to compliments.

I like giving out compliments... and I especially like the effect it has on others.

Until this relationship I'm in now, I was rarely ever complimented. Just a few words here and there seems to really brighten up the day. It's quite nice.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Do you think girls generally want/need more compliments than guys? I often tell my bf he is sexy or smart or something along those lines, but I get the feeling that these comments don't much matter to him.

Quote Originally Posted by shheadz View Post
    I don't like women that are unreceptive to compliments.

Ermmm. I'm like that sometimes. But that's only because I hardly get compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by jessZ View Post
    Do you think girls generally want/need more compliments than guys? I often tell my bf he is sexy or smart or something along those lines, but I get the feeling that these comments don't much matter to him.
    I don't think there's any cut and dry concept of men needing compliments more than women or vice versa. I think it's more of a person by person thing.

My bf may not admit it, but he practically thrives on compliments... whereas I've seen other men who don't seem to really need much... women can be the same way.

So compliments may be a purely individual thing.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

Ermmm. I'm like that sometimes. But that's only because I hardly get compliments.
    Not good. When I tell a girl how beautiful she is, and she responds with, "um.. yeah ok".. Like she's too insecure to take a compliment, that makes me want to compliment her less.

Quote Originally Posted by shheadz View Post
    Not good. When I tell a girl how beautiful she is, and she responds with, "um.. yeah ok".. Like she's too insecure to take a compliment, that makes me want to compliment her less.
    some people don't know how to react to compliments..maybe it depends on the type of compliment or the person who is saying it.

i definitely like compliments, the good ones, none of that nasty stuff unless is a bf and he is only saying it to get me in the mood etc...i think compliments are great, they can really make someone's day...

I like compliments but only if they're sincere which is how my bf rolls thankfully. I can't stand fakeness from men...or women.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Compliments are important. They show a level of apprication.

They're so important that I've dumped a bf of 5 years. He complimented me 3 times in 5 years and I remember exactly what he said. Sure, they were sincere but they weren't nearly frequent enough.

I don't need them all the time as constant reassurance but I do need to know verbally what my man likes on me, and about me.

It's not that I'm insecure... but I'm not used to hearing it... so sometimes I don't know what to say. Especially if its from someone who I like or respect. For example... one time I got a compliment from Gribble... <3 It was so simple but it melted me.

That's cute Coco :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jessZ View Post

My current girlfriend never stops talking about how "gorgeous" I am. Must admit, not being so used to an ongoing bombardment of compliments before, it was difficult to accept to start with. It almost felt patronizing. Now I know she actually means every word of it , and I love what she has to say. I compliment her all the time, even the petname I usually call her is a compliment in itself.

No matter how much somebody's attracted to you, you need to hear it once in a while.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love to recieve compliments, i take them with the intent they were given. Its nice to feel special and wanted and compliments can go a long way towards that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast