+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books for guys

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Books for guys

I am putting together a care package for my nephew who is a Marine in Iraq. He likes to read. So you can get an idea of his taste, these were the books he initially requested, but I think he's already got them all now.

Wheel of time series
    Brisinger
    The Da Vinci Code
    George RR Martin
    Chuck Palahniuk (author of Choke and Fight Club)

I realize there is no such thing as "male" books, but certain things appeal more to males than to females, so I don't feel especially comfortable picking out something without a recommendation, especialy since he wanted "The DaVinci Code", which I thought was garbage. I believe my taste might be considered too "girly" for him.

Can you guys suggest some stuff for me?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

i read somewhere that men prefer to read facts rather than made up stories - so maybe more biographies and other true stories; maybe something with politics and current affairs? - would that be allowed or is that censored?
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 24-11-08 at 09:00 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no censoring going on. I can send him whatever I please except for pork products. Based on his original wish list, he seems to enjoy stories, though.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Which DaVinci Code is it?

And I definately like to read facts, yes. Although I enjoy good science fiction, brothers Strugatskies are remarkable.
    Last edited by boobaa; 24-11-08 at 09:07 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    brothers Strugatskies are remarkable.
    Is that the title of a book? I believe I was told he likes sci-fi.

That was the original DaVinci code he was asking for...

You mean the original fiction (Dan Brown?) or that pseudo-popular-documentary?

And Strugatskies are Russian authors, I am not surprised you there in the west don't know them. [url]http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/strugats.htm[/url] At least, are you familiar with Tarkovsky, the legend filmmaker?

Has he red Herberts Dune series already? What about Asimov?
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm sure people who are interested in that genre have heard of the authors you mention, but aside from War of the Worlds, it's not a genre I really ever read. Therefore, I really appreciate you suggestions. If you have specific titles you've enjoyed, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks, booba.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Did he specify what books by George R.R. Martin? Get him the Song of Ice and Fire series. That's the best of the bunch. Stephen King is always a great choice. Even though he doesn't have horror in his list I bet he'd like it. The Pet Semetary is a great one. So is It.

He's obviously into fantasy novels but I don't really read that genre. However, I do like science fiction. Maybe he'd like it too. As a young soldier fresh out of boot camp I bet he'd enjoy Starship Troopers. Amazon's description: "A recruit of the future goes through the toughest boot camp in the universe and into battle with the Terran Mobile Infantry against humankind's most frightening enemy."

Dune, as Boobaa mentioned, is an excellent book. Oooh! And Ender's game! That's one of the greatest of all science fiction books. That one deals with a boy genius raised in a sort of futuristic boot camp. Quite a bit different from Troopers, though, and very, very good.

Lastly, there's this series of hardboiled detective novels that I absolutely love. Very fun reads. Very macho and smart. The Godwulf manuscript is the first in the series. Lots of beer, bullets and broads.
    Last edited by Gribble; 25-11-08 at 01:56 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

pillars of the earth is good if he likes historical fiction.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Get him Cryptonomicon and the trilogy starting with Quicksilver by Neal Stephanson. I absolutely guarantee that if he likes George R.R. Martin's writing style, he'll love Stephanson. Plus, they're extremely long, so he'll have a rich world to delve into.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey, thanks you guys! I knew I could count on you all.

My all time favorite to this day is The Little Prince. It has been like a Bible to me my whole life. It's a pretty small book, but anyone with appreciation for life and human nature would like this one. It's about a pilot being stranded in a desert and meeting a Little Prince. Throughout the book the Prince is taught to be patient and to do hard work to keep his "planet" in order. The prince falls in love with the rose, who returns his love but is unable to express it. He leaves to see what the rest of the universe is like, and visits six other asteroids.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    My all time favorite to this day is The Little Prince. It has been like a Bible to me my whole life. It's a pretty small book, but anyone with appreciation for life and human nature would like this one. It's about a pilot being stranded in a desert and meeting a Little Prince. Throughout the book the Prince is taught to be patient and to do hard work to keep his "planet" in order. The prince falls in love with the rose, who returns his love but is unable to express it. He leaves to see what the rest of the universe is like, and visits six other asteroids.
    now that sounds really 'man'ly hahaha, just sayin'
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer is one of my all time favourite books
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

If he likes a bit simpler and straightforward books I'd say historical fiction by Conn Iggulden, either the Emperor series (Roman Empire, Julius Caesar) or the Conqueror series (Mongols/China, Genghis Khan) depending on preference, each series has about 3-4 books.

And if he prefers a bit more of an intricate plot I'd say books by James Clavell, preferably Shogun (feudal japan), Tai-Pan (19th century Hong-Kong) or King Rat (WWII American prison camp in Malaysia).

Can check them out at least, you know him better than we do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast