+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books.

Books.

Trying to get into reading and I thought I create a thread where people can post a short summary of a book they like or something.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

One of the better books I've read is Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. The book is a prediction of thefuture writtin in 1948. In the book, you're either an engineer; scientist, or you're dirt poor.

"The Count of Monte Cristo ..." by Alexander Dumas ... not the one u read in like 7th grade but the actual unabridged version

Hussain
    Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses? - The Ghost of Christmas Past

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi
    Trying to get into reading and I thought I create a thread where people can post a short summary of a book they like or something.
    What genre do you like? If you like fine literature, I can suggest quite a few. I don't like to waste my time on fluffy books; when I am in school, I don't have a lot of free time to spare, so I tend to read award winning books because they are pretty much a sure thing. I love classics.

I am currently reading "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. It's about a college professor who is forcibly retired after a comment he makes in class that is wrongly interpreted as racist. It is a very good book. Roth is a wordsmith.

Ha. I don't particuarly know what genre i'm into. I've took a liking towards dystopian related novels if that helps? but I like to read books that would would help improve my intelligence (haha) and help to expand my volcabulary.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

When you say dystopian, I take that to mean you are interested in books about human misery and suffering, perhaps as a result of scientific progress or politics. Is that accurate?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Catch 22 - hilarious

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - hilarious and sad

Catcher in the Rye - a fairly solemn drama

Good Omens - a humorous take on the end of the world

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    When you say dystopian, I take that to mean you are interested in books about human misery and suffering, perhaps as a result of scientific progress or politics. Is that accurate?
    Yeah, books such as George Orwells 1984.

These were suggested by a friend who is more into that genre than I am:

The Trial by Kafka
    Candide by Voltaire
    Looking Backward by Bellamy
    The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot (it's an epic poem, considered hard by many)
    Lost Horizon by Hilton
    The Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin
    Walden by Thoreau
    Future Shock by Toffler

These are the ones I suggest:

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    Anthem by Ayn Rand
    Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Handmaids Tale (I can't remember the author)

Thanks shh! If you don't mind me asking how old are you?

34, probably too old to be on this forum, but now that I see how many young kids are on here asking questions, I am afraid the only advice they will get will be from know-nothings like that girl ****, and mentally ill people like **** who want to copulate with relatives, so I'll stick around for a while and give out advice their mothers would approve of.

Why - how old are you? And by the way, several of those books I mentioned you will likely read in college (assuming you go and you aren't there yet).

34, probably too old to be on this forum, but now that I see how many young kids are on here asking questions, I am afraid the only advice they will get will be from know-nothings like that girl ****, and mentally ill people like **** who want to copulate with relatives, so I'll stick around for a while and give out advice their mothers would approve of.

Why - how old are you? And by the way, several of those books I mentioned you will likely read in college (assuming you go and you aren't there yet).
    Na... your not too old to be on this forum. It's nice to have people as knowledgeable as yourself around.

I'm 17 and yes your right, we were reading 1984 and the handmaids tale (Not a very big fan of this book) in college.

You don't like Handmaid's Tale? Hmm... I really liked it. Well, I am sure if you ask your English professor, you will get a lot of good suggestions. I don't wish to sound sexist, but I think this genre is frequently more embraced by males because of the science fiction-y aspect, so I'd ask a male English professor.

You don't like Handmaid's Tale? Hmm... I really liked it. Well, I am sure if you ask your English professor, you will get a lot of good suggestions. I don't wish to sound sexist, but I think this genre is frequently more embraced by males because of the science fiction-y aspect, so I'd ask a male English professor.
    Hm, personally I think it's women who take a liking towards this book because of it's major difference compared to 1984. can you guess what it is? If you get it right I'll give you a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi
    Hm, personally I think it's women who take a liking towards this book because of it's major difference compared to 1984. can you guess what it is? If you get it right I'll give you a cookie.
    I have not read 1984 (but I think I know the general story line), and in any case, I think Handmaids Tale is an exception because it deals specifically with the use of women’s bodies as political instruments, a topic that would be appealing to feminists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast