+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Double standards

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    I think some women feel emotionally and mentally powerless against a man.
    This shouldn't be the case. Our brains are of equal power and capacity. It makes more sense that a woman would feel physically powerless against a man, which leads me to ask my original question with that much more fervor.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Yes, that WOULD make more sense at first glance. But like I said, and from personal experience, I've had conversations with men that felt like losing battles. It infuriates me to feel like I'm running in circles. The frustration causes the stress level in the situation to rise which can incite anger. The mind starts to lose it's higher function and goes into protection mode at that point. It stops differentiating between what might be an actual physical threat and an emotional or verbal threat. When we feel threatened, we have the option to fight, or run away. Depending on the situation or the person, they may choose to resort to fighting physically. It is not an entirely conscious decision either. We do it based on our instinct to protect ourselves. All animals have this instinct.

Men do it for those reasons too, to protect. This leads me to my previous example. Why would a man who has cheated and is being reprimanded by his girlfriend or wife resort to hitting her to shut her up? He's protecting himself. He doesn't want to be wrong, and to listen to her screaming at him out of anger and hurt is threatening. Hitting her isn't solving the actual infidelity problem, but it is a momentary reprieve from feeling endangered.
    Last edited by lahnnabell; 23-04-10 at 04:10 AM.

I think this is starting to go off on a bit of a tangent with the emotional element. Lets remove that shall we? If there is no emotionally charged situation and a woman punches a guy in the face (say......because he laughed at her friend who just fell)......why is it that some women would say that he should simply walk away and would be wrong for defending himself?
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    You yourself said that you slapped a man in the face for cheating......
    did is say slap? i actually punched him in the head. more than once. and he begged for more.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I think this is starting to go off on a bit of a tangent with the emotional element. Lets remove that shall we? If there is no emotionally charged situation and a woman punches a guy in the face (say......because he laughed at her friend who just fell)......why is it that some women would say that he should simply walk away and would be wrong for defending himself?
    Well, what, exactly, would you think he should do? Blacken her eye? Knock her down? Maybe the best self-defense is to avoid hanging around with people who hit you.
    Spammer Spanker

Why in the world would a woman slap a man if it wasn't fueled by some emotion like anger or hurt? Are you telling me that people just go up to others and slap them with the intention of walking away and forgetting about it? Like it's a bodily function of some sorts? "I haven't slapped you yet today, please come here." Men hit women out of anger and frustration. It is directly linked to our emotions and need to protect ourselves from outside forces we feel that we cannot control. The only time this doesn't apply consistently is during sports.

If my boyfriend laughed at my friend because she fell down, I would nudge him on the shoulder as a way to say, "That wasn't funny. She could have hurt herself." It is in defense of her friend's sudden misfortune (falling down). This is tied to an emotion. She was angry because the guy was amused by someone else's misfortune. More importantly a person she cares about. Granted a full punch to the face sounds like overkill in that situation, and I think that would rarely happen in reality.

You don't sound very emotionally aware of yourself or how you come off to people.

I remember my sister, her husband, and I went out together one night. My sister and I are very close and I'm very protective of my family. We were heading to the front of the line at the House of Blues that night because we'd gotten our tickets early. It was raining and my sister was wearing a cute white shirt and was huddling next to her husband and running inside. Some douche from the line shouted, "Should've worn black, bitch!" I whipped right around and picked him out in line. I marched right up to his face and said, "What did you just say?" His eyes widened and he tried to look dumbfounded and mumbled, "Nothing." I looked directly into his eyes for 5 seconds and said, "Good. Keep it that way." I don't take kindly to people who disrespect my loved ones. My brother-in-law said the guy came up to us later on that night to apologize. I don't remember 'cause I was druuuunk
    Last edited by lahnnabell; 23-04-10 at 04:44 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i don't think there is any double standard, really. i would expect the victim (regardless of gender) to separate themselves from their attacker.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Some women just need to be put in their place...

The kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Some women just need to be put in their place...

The kitchen
    Let me just take my shoes off first.....
    Spammer Spanker

Are you going to smack me with your shoe? I know, I deserve it.

Allow CC to do it for ya. Only have another month before she sees my sorry ass.

Guys are indoctrinated by their parents early in life: YOU DON"T HIT GIRLS! Don't know that girls are taught the same lesson about guys. Yeh, it goes back hundreds of years, and will probably continue for another few hundred.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can respect that stance to a certain degree, but I think it serves to encourage a woman to hit you (especially if she is aware of that you in particular feel that way).
    Well I've had that stance for a long time and I've never been hit by a woman. One girlfriend threw her shoe at me once, that's about as violent as its gotten.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm reasonably certain that unless she's a bodybuilder I can hold a woman back. I can escape her. I can pin her.

Unless she comes at me with a weapon, I see absolutely no reason to exchange blows with a woman.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I always walk away from physical violence whenever possible, or look for a verbal way to get away from it. Last course of action is to get physical and I don't differentiate whether the aggressor is male or female.

However, I have shoved a girl after she shoved me ( in order to make a point - not to think soft violence was permissable). Then I broke up with her a little bit later when she escalated with the shoving and progressed to the projectile ceramics, household goods, and attempted punches to the head while backing me up into a corner (I restrained, shoved her off, and left)

She wanted me to hit her, in hindsight.

Had she picked up a knife in any of that, she would have left.. this mortal coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Durian View Post
    Had she picked up a knife in any of that, she would have left.. this mortal coil.
    All of the things I was about to say in response to this thread were just interrupted by thoughts of Shakespeare wearing a wife beater. Good job.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast