+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Committed to the Asylum

In the wastelands between insomnia and clarevoiance

Committed to the Asylum

Hahaha. Alright, so my father was just committed to the mental hospital for being insane and suicidal last night. Well, I don't think he would have done it, but he had a gun and it looked like he was going to do it - so I guess everyone believed him

You can look through my old posts and find the thread about how my father was cheating on my mother. She found out and basically wanted a divorce - she wanted one before she found out. And he asked for six months to "make it up to us". He said he broke off his affair, despite that I believe he was still in the affair. He pulled a perfect dad routine, trying to for a couple weeks. But he and my mother still had their fights - my mother is intelligent, its hard not to be with two harvard degrees - she knew that divorce was going to be the product of all of this. So she'd ask him what the point of doing the six months was. Why couldn't they just be honest? Lay the money out on the table and figure out how to get divorced.

My father, intelligent, but too absorbed in his emotions to make intelligent decisions, snapped last night. He got a gun and asked my mother if, with the life insurance, she could support the kids, send us all to the prep school we're going to, and send us to whatever college we wanted to. She said yes, and he pulled out a gun, cocked the trigger, and left to our detached garage - essentially his office. Someone called the police and he was brought to the hospital.

The thing is, I'm far past the emotional stage. But I need to understand why. My father is clinically depressed, he always has been. I need to understand his life and his affair if I am ever going to understand myself. I've always had an empty feeling inside of me - no matter what - I think it may come from him. But I don't want to be like him.
    BACAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Charity is gay.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As I understand it life insurance is not awarded in cases of suicide. Someone might want to mention that just to dispel any further consideration he may have along that avenue of thought.
    Last edited by Gribble; 30-03-09 at 06:48 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

The kids won't get anything from his life insurance if he does suicide. I hope he has more than the life insurance for the family if he really wants to end his life.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hahahahaha.

I'm laughing at your signature.

In the wastelands between insomnia and clarevoiance
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    The kids won't get anything from his life insurance if he does suicide. I hope he has more than the life insurance for the family if he really wants to end his life.
    Wrong. My dad made sure that, when he was buying the insurance, that it paid out in cases of suicide. He is emotionally unstable, but not stupid.

And <3 Fraz.
    BACAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Charity is gay.

Interesting. Sometimes the insurance company will try everything in their power for the family to not recover it and sometimes they will wait after some time or just award the premiums paid up to date. Being insane and having proof of insanity will help.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDwarf View Post
    Wrong. My dad made sure that, when he was buying the insurance, that it paid out in cases of suicide. He is emotionally unstable, but not stupid.

And <3 Fraz.
    Wow that surprises me. I think that should be illegal. It's like encouraging someone to kill themselves.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think you are ever going to be able to make sense of this, darkdwarf. Mentally unstable people do crazy things that cannot be rationalized. Just keep in mind this has absolutely NOTHING to do with you, your mom, or anyone else. This is your dad's mental illness talking.

I'm sorry you went through this.