+ Follow This Topic

Thread: No Interests

No Interests

My best friend is obsessed over a woman who has no interests. I don't mean that she isn't interested in him, just that she doesn't seem to have any hobbies or anything at all. On a recent date, my friend asked her what she does for fun, and she didn't know. She rarely watches movies, doesn't read books, doesn't have favorite tv shows. She doesn't have any hobbies, either. Nothing, except that she likes to dance, which makes sense because he met her in a dancing class.

Although she looks like a plain version of Michelle Williams, my friend has been obsessed with her for a year now. After months of asking her out, they finally had a date last fall, and it was bad. They ran out of things to talk about and then it got awkward. For months, she kept turning him down for a second date, then finally started going out with him again starting last month. And there still isn't much to talk about, because she doesn't have any interests. She is 29 years old, working some minimum wage job and living in a room in her handicapped brother's house in a small town. She helps her brother and his wife out, and then apparently just stares blankly into space unless she is dancing. Meanwhile, her extroverted twin sister is living in China and working for the Peace Corps.

My friend is an interesting enough guy. He is intelligent, educated, and independent. He does some freelance writing, flips houses, and works as a marketing consultant. He has traveled extensively in Europe and is currently in Australia. He is a dynamic and friendly guy who never got around to settling down and is finally ready for marriage and kids. He has been dating a variety of women in recent years, but has somehow become obsessed with this one boring woman. And she still doesn't seem very interested in him, and has told him that he's too good for her.

How is it possible for her to have so little going on in her life? Is she really just incredibly boring? Or could she be hiding something major, like a history of mental illness or some extremely bizarre interests?
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    she sounds like the real deal to me. will probably make a good wife and mother and eventually discover new things that she might enjoy in life if she marries your guy.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I don't know what to make of it, but I'm with you in that there are only two possibilities.

1. She does nothing and really is that boring.

2. She leads an insane double life, full of allure and danger.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    the fact that she does nothing only means that he can introduce her to his interests and also that she is not a big spender which is a huge plus when it comes to females.

You could be right, her lack of interests might make her ideal as a traditional, stay-at-home wife. Also, my friend has always been attracted to clingy, submissive women, and she could probably fit into that role easily enough.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    You could be right, her lack of interests might make her ideal as a traditional, stay-at-home wife. Also, my friend has always been attracted to clingy, submissive women, and she could probably fit into that role easily enough.
    and if you think about it, it's always easier to live with someone who is "obedient" and compromising, than a modern day female full of bullshit and attitude that she has gained over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    and if you think about it, it's always easier to live with someone who is "obedient" and compromising, than a modern day female full of bullshit and attitude that she has gained over the years.
    I guess. Or maybe my friend could buy a life-sized inflatable doll with orifices.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    I guess. Or maybe my friend could buy a life-sized inflatable doll with orifices.
    you're married, right?

You mentioned that she lives with her handicapped brother. I know that sometimes in families where there is a disability of some kind, a couple things tend to happen with the siblings. Either they tend to focus most of their life towards helping the sibling with the disability and therefore do not really develop a sense of their own self (your friend's gf) or they go the exact opposite way and strike out on their own to get away from the responsibilities of caring for their sibling (sort of like the sister).

She may be boring, but I think maybe she just hasn't even considered the possibility of other things out in the world. Almost like she has been sheltered, at least mentally, in a way.

Perhaps your friend can help introduce her to more things and she will open up some. But if he tries to do it at the expense of her brother getting his care, she might wind up resenting him for that and retreat.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

She might not have been exposed to a lot. There are things i do now that i never did a few years ago because of exposure. There are also things I use to do which I've stopped due to being interested in different things now.

A simple life can be really cool, being busy all the time gets tired.