+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making acquantices into friends?

Making acquantices into friends?

Simply put, I have a bunch of acquantices at school but we never hang out outside of school or anything. I don't talk very much and I am usually shy; whenever I do talk it's to my acquantices. How can I turn these acquantices into friends?

Look into/ask them about what events they're up to and just go there?

Most people I know in my uni course limit their outings to visiting bars and nightclubs, which bores me, so I've met up with other people who prefer other things, and I met them through random encounters or joining groups/societes (which only really works at a uni, not schools) and sports clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA09 View Post
    Simply put, I have a bunch of acquantices at school but we never hang out outside of school or anything.
    I don't talk very much and I am usually shy; whenever I do talk it's to my acquantices. How can I turn these acquantices into friends?
    Talk about various interests that you have, and see which one of them wants to tag along, so you get to know each other.
    The more you hang around each other, the opportunities you'll have to ask each other to do these things.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

anachronistic Guest
    you: (casually) "Hey, what do you guys like to do for fun?"

them: "Ahh, we go snowboarding all the time."

you: "Oh cool, I have never snowboarded before. You guys should teach me."

Basically, try to get yourself in a situation where you hang out outside of school. A friendship could initiate frome that

How can I ask people to hang out without sounding too desperate/needy? There's going to be a concert this Monday and all of are going to it; one of them at lunch a couple of weeks ago said that I should go, but I don't listen to that particular band.

Go anyways, should still be a good time, right?

And if you accept they will be more inclined to invite you to outings in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA09 View Post
    How can I ask people to hang out without sounding too desperate/needy? There's going to be a concert this Monday and all of are going to it; one of them at lunch a couple of weeks ago said that I should go, but I don't listen to that particular band.
    You're not going to sound to desperate and needy asking people to hang out with you! As long as you don't plead and then get majorly disappointed when they decline. Just be easy going.

Go to this concert...who cares about the band. Go for the social aspect. Friendships are built upon things people have in common, shared experiences and the ability to relate. Going to this concert (and any other outing) will provide something that will relate you to these people...you'll build experiences together that will give you something to talk about with them, (lack of things to talk about is a major friendship blocker) and will give you a kick-start in organising other get-togethers.

I have no idea where this concert is, no way to contact any of them, and I don't drive. So the concert's out of the question. I'll probably ask them about a future concert whenever.

It turns out that half of them didn't even go to the concert. Weird. This is going to seem loser-ish, but is there a way that I can change my attitude? Sometimes I feel happy and in a good mood but then I suddenly get into a bad mood. It might have something to do with me being severly (and I mean severly) obese (305 pounds, trying to lose weight now). I just hate being all alone and not having any friends, and I'm a senior in high school. How can I change myself?

I'd always advocate joining a club for something you're interested in. The more senior team members will teach you and you'll work together with people of your level; it's a great way to meet people and do things outside of school.

You don't have to wait for them to ask you about a concert either. You could just ask them if they want to go see a movie together Friday night - James Bond is coming out soon, and it's always a good movie to watch with a large group of people.

The main thing to remember is that with a large group of friends, not everyone's going to be into the same bands or activities all the time. The thing about friends is even if you're not into something 100%, you go and enjoy it anyway, as a bonding event. They'll do the same for you. The more important thing is building experiences together.

Build up your network. If you're not interested in a concert, ask them for their phone # and say you're not sure but will call once you decide. If you end up not going, call and apologize, say you'll go next time, so they have your number as well. Next time you have their contact information and can ask them to hang out whenever, and vice versa.

As for being moody, there's not much you can easily do about that. I have the same problem sometimes. I have some activities I do when I'm feeling antisocial, like reading or listening to music or something. The key here is to time it - make sure you don't let yourself indulge in being alone too long. After an hour or two of being moody, call up someone (whose number you now have!) and ask if they want to come over and play this cool new Xbox game you got (or meet up at the mall, if that's more your thing - just make sure you do something social).

Well, I'm in the art club at my school. There's these two cute girls that're in it that are also in my art class. One of them has a boyfriend, but I don't know about the other. How could I go about being friends with them? There's another girl that sits across from at our lunch table; she's also in my first period class. I think I'm starting to like her a bit; the other day when we were leaving lunch she like pushed herself into me and I pushed back at her; like just playing around.

Does she make good art?
    Don't expect anything.

The one with the boyfriend is great at drawing (I sit beside her in class). I haven't really seen any art from the other one, though.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why don't YOU ask them to go out for lunch or something. make the first move and they'll start to feel more comfortable around you.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I don't really talk to them all that much, so it'd be kind of weird asking them to go somewhere with me. I've been kind of infatuated with one of them since a few weeks ago when we had to draw each other in art class; we were laughing and smiling through about the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast