+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is having a car that huge of a deal?

Is having a car that huge of a deal?

Hello all!

I am a 22 year old guy who doesn't have a car due to my last truck getting totaled, and at this stage in my life, I have no interest in getting another car as of now (possibly in the future). Not only does gas cost an arm and a leg, but public transportation typically gets me from Point A to Point B without a problem, so right now I just don't see a need for a car. The only problems I've experienced are that it takes me a bit longer, I can only get to certain places without it being a hassle, and transportation stops at night (depending on the line, around 10 PM-12 AM).

I've never been one to want my SO to be a taxi to me, as I get to places I need to be just fine, but I understand that the SO would always be the one to pick me up, or drive me to places we both want to go to.

So, would you date someone who doesn't have a car?

Nop. i wouldn't date a guy that don't have a car

you're right, public transports are no problem, it's actually quite nice if you take a ride by yourself. but imagine taking a girl on a romantic date on the bus? nah uh !! no way.

I'd prefer that the guy I date have a car. I don't mind driving, but all the time? Like you said, gas is fluctuating like crazy still, and depending on what kind of car you drive you could be out a lot of money. I tend to have two jobs too, so I spent a lot of time and gas driving just myself around. Besides, having a car, knowing how to take care of it, finance it, symbolizes a degree of maturity to me.

I agree with lahnnabell 100%. Having a car to me shows responsibility and maturity. I wouldn't date a man without a car. It doesn't have to be a fancy car either. Just running, maintained and legal is good for me.

I went through something similar (Lost my license), and it definitely seemed to annoy her after a little while. I never asked her to drive me anywhere, but she did have to drive when we were doing things together. Actually she may have been ok if I at least had my license, and could drive her car from time to time, instead of her always having to do the driving.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In NYC, not having a car is no big deal. In San Diego, it is.

I am shocked by all the girls saying they wouldn't date a guy without a car, i've no intention of getting one as I cant afford one and yeah i know women are the worse drivers but why cant they get one instead? Oh and don't flame me im not being sexist but i just think it's rude that girls think guys having a car is a big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by eva1 View Post
    I am shocked by all the girls saying they wouldn't date a guy without a car, i've no intention of getting one as I cant afford one and yeah i know women are the worse drivers but why cant they get one instead? Oh and don't flame me im not being sexist but i just think it's rude that girls think guys having a car is a big deal!
    It goes both ways. I'd be annoyed if I had to drive a girlfriend around everywhere. Heck, I'd be a little annoyed if I had to drive a friend around everywhere.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    eva1 - it depends on where you live, as I said. Some places are conducive to using public transportation, and it is quite the norm (as in New York City), but living in the suburbs, you have to drive just to go pretty much anywhere, because everything is so spread out. Plus, in lots of places, public transportation is simply unsafe.

This is just a matter of practicality.

Hmm I guess, probably because im living in the UK in the middle of England/Birmingham i have all this wonderful transport to get me around

Like others said, it really depends. Firstly, on whether or not you're in college. Most colleges are easy to get across, and a lot of students who do have cars don't bring them because of the expense of on-campus parking and gas for moving back and forth. Also, some places are more car-crazy than others. If you live in the suburbs (especially in America), you need a car. It's practical and "cool." If you live in a big city or region with good public transit, though, you're fine. Living in Washington DC, I don't get judged very critically for my carlessness. When I move to Vancouver in a couple weeks, people will care even less.

Erm. I live in Washington D.C. traffic is such a pain in the ass majority of people who work in the city who have cars just Kiss & Ride. I don't mind driving but I would like for the guy I'm dating to have a car. I don't want to always be the one to drive if we choose to leave the area.

Quote Originally Posted by eva1 View Post
    i know women are the worse drivers but why cant they get one instead?
    There are no facts to backup such claims.

You say you have no vehicle due to lack of money. Well dates require money, whether you pay her way, or it's split. Granted, it would not be as hefty a price as a car payment, but many women will question your ability to afford things. Not just for them, but for yourself.

I live in NYC and neither my husband nor I own cars. But putting myself in the place of a single girl who lives in a state where a car is a necessity, I can see why a good majority of women would reject a guy with no car. Even with the best intentions on his part, she'd end up being his chauffer until he got one. Some people may not have a problem with this, but why set yourself up with that annoyance early on in a relationship?
    Last edited by starbuck; 05-01-10 at 11:06 AM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I've always had a preference for drivers but it wasn't a necessity.

My current boyfriend and I are both not driving, but now that two kids are involved, a nice jeep is the current goal we're after.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..