+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for all mothers with older kids.

Question for all mothers with older kids.

When I say older, I mean like old enough for grade school. But it would be a plus for moms with high school kids. I wanted to know, how hard was it for you to accept that your child has to grow up eventually and to let them have their freedom? I was sitting here thinking about my future with my daughter, and I'm scared to let her go just thinking about it lol. I only now understand why my mother had been so overprotective over me at times, and now I'm scared to death. Should I start buying the chastity belt underwears or what? Lol, just kidding. But I'd like if you guys shared your experiences and what helped you overcome your fears, if you did. Thanks.

Arrivederci.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I like you Nisha. You're alright.
    Last edited by Charlie Boy II; 06-09-08 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    I like you Nisha. You're alright.
    I hope you didnt just say that for a thanks...lol j/k

i don't have an older child but my friend does and she's having a hard time looking that far ahead. she can't imagine her life without her daughter around every day.

how old is your daughter?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Mine are older. When they were very young, I tried to protect them from the world. Then I panicked around grade 4-5, because I was afraid they would be psychologically unprepared to deal with the crap kids go through when they reach middle school and high school, so I began pushing them into the world. My boy is now a HS senior, and he is preparing to go off to university. Honestly, I cry when I think about it. Silly, huh? I don't really try so much to protect him; he's a really level-headed kid and doesn't need much from me other than love and support, but for him I worry about the bitch who will eventually break his heart and hope he is resilient enough to not become embittered by it when it happens. Anyway, he's my "easy" kid, and the idea of him leaving home wrecks my world, but I mostly keep it to myself so he doesn't feel smothered. He knows it bums me out, though.

My girl is 15, and I worry a LOT about her because the freakin' boys are buzzing around like flies, and she's entirely too trusting. I am torn between allowing her more room to grow up and protecting her from her from the stupidity that is characteristic of being a teenager.

How old are your kids/kid?
    Last edited by shh!; 07-09-08 at 12:25 AM.

As a kid (well... I am 21 in a month), my mom is definitely over-protective. She has told me, flat out, she can't live without me, I am the reason she has gotten so far.... and while its nice to see your parent caring about you, it does feel a bit burdon-some (aweful I know, sorry.)

Having some space to grow up is a good thing though. I am in my 3rd year at my university, and I enjoy every minute of my independence. Granted the difference in High School and College students is definitely more distinct, I still stick by the feeling that having an overbearing mother can get in the way of the relationship, and even strain the relationship a little...

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i don't have an older child but my friend does and she's having a hard time looking that far ahead. she can't imagine her life without her daughter around every day.

how old is your daughter?
    Its funny, she's only making 17 months this month lol. But I want to start preparing myself for her breaking away from me from now from how the generations keep getting more corrupt and are moving sooo fast.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why do people think the generations are becoming "corrupt" or "moving too fast"?

Granted, 14 year olds didn't dress like sluts back in the day, they were however, regardless, popping out babies at 16 and 18 with their 20 something year old husbands. And that was expected.

It's really not as bad as people think.

I think kids are smarter today than they were when I was growing up. Lazier, but smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Why do people think the generations are becoming "corrupt" or "moving too fast"?

Granted, 14 year olds didn't dress like sluts back in the day, they were however, regardless, popping out babies at 16 and 18 with their 20 something year old husbands. And that was expected.

I say they are becoming corrupt because alot(and I mean ALOT) of the younger generation is killing where I'm from. A majority is over something stupid, such as where they represent(their neighborhood), and most lately have been over a girl. My neighbor's kids are ages 3,5 and 6. They all curse worse than sailors. Her oldest daughter carries herself VERY improperly for a 6 year old. My ex's neighbors were cousins and they werent even 8. They were fondling each other and bragging about it to everyone. Yes, there is nothing new under the sun, but there is still the capability of it being ten times worst than before. As for the young pregnancies, I myself am a young mother. But just because its not as bad as people think doesnt make it right. Not much teenagers are fit to be a parent. Sometimes I doubt my parental skills because I feel guilty for thinking about wanting to be free of the responsibility, but I'm still trying. I was wrong for getting myself in such a predicament and it was my fault, so I do not promote teenage pregnancies. That is only 2% of why I say its corrupt and that kids are moving too fast... and Im not speaking as an older person cuz alot of older people do say that the younger generation is getting worst, but i am speaking as an 18 year old who has grown up around of alot of violence,abuse,and hatred that came from my own generation. With the way things are going, I dont see it getting any better. I'm not saying its the worst generation yet, but it still is scary.Very scary.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    I say they are becoming corrupt because alot(and I mean ALOT) of the younger generation is killing where I'm from. A majority is over something stupid, such as where they represent(their neighborhood), and most lately have been over a girl. My neighbor's kids are ages 3,5 and 6. They all curse worse than sailors. Her oldest daughter carries herself VERY improperly for a 6 year old. My ex's neighbors were cousins and they werent even 8. They were fondling each other and bragging about it to everyone. Yes, there is nothing new under the sun, but there is still the capability of it being ten times worst than before. As for the young pregnancies, I myself am a young mother. But just because its not as bad as people think doesnt make it right. Not much teenagers are fit to be a parent. Sometimes I doubt my parental skills because I feel guilty for thinking about wanting to be free of the responsibility, but I'm still trying. I was wrong for getting myself in such a predicament and it was my fault, so I do not promote teenage pregnancies. That is only 2% of why I say its corrupt and that kids are moving too fast... and Im not speaking as an older person cuz alot of older people do say that the younger generation is getting worst, but i am speaking as an 18 year old who has grown up around of alot of violence,abuse,and hatred that came from my own generation. With the way things are going, I dont see it getting any better. I'm not saying its the worst generation yet, but it still is scary.Very scary.
    It just depends on where you are.

That's why people with money move out to the suburbs.

A person's local environment gives a people a poor impression of the world as a whole.

Which is why I look forward to leaving this place and finding somewhere where I can feel comfortable and safe for my daughter. Every day I wonder if I will live to see another day for the fear of a shoot out in my neighborhood. Just the other day, there was a shooting right outside my house, and I wasnt there to protect my daughter (I was off island), so my father dropped on the floor and protected her underneath him. I'm officially scared shitless of my current neighborhood. I had said I did not want to move to the states, but when I was up there, I felt soooo much better than I do down here. I cant wait to get stable to make a better place for myself and most of all my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

I agree. It surprises me when people say that kids today grow up so fast and are popping out babies more that then past. I think they did the same then in the past too.

You see what you see because of the environment you are living in.

Which is why I look forward to leaving this place and finding somewhere where I can feel comfortable and safe for my daughter. Every day I wonder if I will live to see another day for the fear of a shoot out in my neighborhood. Just the other day, there was a shooting right outside my house, and I wasnt there to protect my daughter (I was off island), so my father dropped on the floor and protected her underneath him. I'm officially scared shitless of my current neighborhood. I had said I did not want to move to the states, but when I was up there, I felt soooo much better than I do down here. I cant wait to get stable to make a better place for myself and most of all my daughter.
    OMG that's horrible and scary. Please move as soon as you can. Stay safe.

That's awful. I don't blame you for wanting to move. Where do you live LadieNisha?
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast