+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Mothers Religion

Mothers Religion

I've been dating this girl for a little over 9 months and we're in love, we can't get enough of each other. Everything is great except her mom and her religion. She is part of The Way Christian Fellowship, not quite sure what the whole official name is but neither does my girlfriend.

This fellowship seems kind of creepy to me, we were talking to my girlfriends grandparents and apparently this fellowship made my gfs mom quit her job because she wasn't giving enough time to god or something like that.

My girlfriend doesn't agree with the stuff they teach so really isn't a part of it but she still goes once a week with her mom just to try to keep her happy. The mom forces her two younger kids to go as well, one is 16 one is 12, none of which really believe the stuff they teach.

That's just a little background, but the problem is the mom likes me but will only approve of me to a certain point because i'm not in this fellowship. She asks my gf to ask me to come to fellowship with them all the time. My girlfriend doesn't want me to go because she doesn't want me to be in it so she insists on making up excuses and lying to her mom.

Nobody in my girlfriends family will stand up to the mom because they don't like getting into conflicts and she's really hard to talk to. Is it wrong that my girlfriend won't stand up for herself or for us or is that just being selfish of me? Should I just go with them and pretend that i believe all the stuff that this group believes just so her family won't have to have conversations that they don't want to have? It's starting to be a problem alot more and I'm not sure what to do about it, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Put your foot down and refuse to go. Your gf should too, but it seems she won't. That's her problem and she shouldnt fault you for having some balls about it.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree with TAVS. How old is your girlfriend?

I think her mom will respect you more if you are polite but firm and honest about your feelings about this, which by the way, you didn't explicitly state. (Note that I didn't say she would like you more, but she will respect you more if you knows your position.)

I would be careful, though, and very polite. This woman no doubt believes that hers is the ONLY way to heaven, and she will not appreciate that which she percieves to be a threat to her daughter's "eternal soul".

"the way fellowship". isn't that that group of christians that tries to "convert" gay people?

Recarpo----"Should I just go with them and pretend that i believe all the stuff that this group believes just so her family won't have to have conversations that they don't want to have?"

Pretending won't last long. Her mum will see right through you and make demands on you. Religion is such a sticky issue. If you don't want to go, just be firm about it and say 'no'.